HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9921  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:48 AM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
I wonder if BA will resume in 2023.

WS getting permanent slots to LHR makes that seem unlikely, but apparently YYC was mentioned in the LHR collaboration report as wanting to resume the route.

It’s too bad because even though BA’s product isn’t great it has a great global network vs. WS LHR being O&D.
     
     
  #9922  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:51 AM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,137
Some smokin' deals to Europe and much of Canada on YYCdeal.com right now.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9923  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 5:58 AM
ace.yyc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I wonder if BA will resume in 2023.
I don't see a chance of it next year and if they do, they're gonna get beat down. I feel a return in '24 or beyond would be more likely to succeed but who knows... these days trying to predict anything more than 8 weeks in advance is a fool's errand.
     
     
  #9924  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 8:24 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I wonder if BA will resume in 2023.

WS getting permanent slots to LHR makes that seem unlikely, but apparently YYC was mentioned in the LHR collaboration report as wanting to resume the route.

It’s too bad because even though BA’s product isn’t great it has a great global network vs. WS LHR being O&D.
I think Westjet will be a huge barrier to entry for new or returning flights to Europe. It’s still recovery mode for a lot of routes but I would say BA is unlikely.
Unrelated but not entirely, Condor has already dropped plans to return to YYC.
An indication of weakened demand. KLM is the only full service airline in the European market. Edelweiss and Eurowings Discovery are very leisure focussed.
     
     
  #9925  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 4:03 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I wonder if BA will resume in 2023.
I highly doubt it. Several reasons.

1. Oil prices going up doesn't help. It's the single largest expense for airlines, and if BA couldn't make YYC work with oil at $50/barrel, it will be very hard to make it work when the price is 3x that.

Just look at when BA downgraded their service to YYC from B777 to B763. It was around 2008, when oil was over 150$ a barrel. We are headed that way yet again.

2. BA struggled on the route with only 1 direct competitor. AC. Now You have WS in the mix. Can YYC sustain 3 carriers to LHR? All signs point to no.

3. Canada, in general, isn't a premium heavy market, and unfortunately, BA is a premium heavy carrier. They have fewer seats on their aircraft vs. competitors, and more premium seats as well. That puts them at a disadvantage compared to AC and WS.

AC B789 - 298 seats, only 30 business class seats. No first.
WS B789 - 320 seats, only 16 business class seats. No first.
BA B789 - 216 seats, 42 business class seats, 8 First.
     
     
  #9926  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 5:55 PM
Calfan12 Calfan12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
I highly doubt it. Several reasons.

1. Oil prices going up doesn't help. It's the single largest expense for airlines, and if BA couldn't make YYC work with oil at $50/barrel, it will be very hard to make it work when the price is 3x that.

Just look at when BA downgraded their service to YYC from B777 to B763. It was around 2008, when oil was over 150$ a barrel. We are headed that way yet again.

2. BA struggled on the route with only 1 direct competitor. AC. Now You have WS in the mix. Can YYC sustain 3 carriers to LHR? All signs point to no.

3. Canada, in general, isn't a premium heavy market, and unfortunately, BA is a premium heavy carrier. They have fewer seats on their aircraft vs. competitors, and more premium seats as well. That puts them at a disadvantage compared to AC and WS.

AC B789 - 298 seats, only 30 business class seats. No first.
WS B789 - 320 seats, only 16 business class seats. No first.
BA B789 - 216 seats, 42 business class seats, 8 First.
Yes agree, Canada’s premium market routes for International flights is Toronto YYZ, Vancouver YVR & Montreal YUL. After that Calgary YYC to smaller extent.

Also British Airways uses the Airbus A380 plane ✈️ that can seat up to 500+ passengers on Vancouver YVR- London UK flight route during (Summers) & Its very unlikely BA returns to Alberta anytime soon!
     
     
  #9927  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 6:16 PM
Calfan12 Calfan12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
I think Westjet will be a huge barrier to entry for new or returning flights to Europe. It’s still recovery mode for a lot of routes but I would say BA is unlikely.
Unrelated but not entirely, Condor has already dropped plans to return to YYC.
An indication of weakened demand. KLM is the only full service airline in the European market. Edelweiss and Eurowings Discovery are very leisure focussed.
Yep & WestJet will also probably make it tough for entry of Asian Airlines that want to start up service in the Calgary YYC market,in a few years time.

Basically leaving most of the competition on YYC- Asia for WS & Air Canada ,eventually.
     
     
  #9928  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 8:44 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
2. BA struggled on the route with only 1 direct competitor. AC. Now You have WS in the mix. Can YYC sustain 3 carriers to LHR? All signs point to no.
Air Transat used to fly seasonally to LGW, so we had three carriers (TS, AC and BA) going to LON in the past and BA was year round for years. The bigger issue I think is WS continuing to strangle YYC as a fortress hub. From the Canadian POS, it's easier to get to Europe directly from YYC rather than connect via LHR, especially as you say for leisure. And this summer, WS is double daily to LON on 789.

It 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 because WS' FF program is so terrible and inaccessible. Argh.
     
     
  #9929  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 8:45 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
Basically leaving most of the competition on YYC- Asia for WS & Air Canada ,eventually.

I actually don't think we will see AC resume Asia service. Seems way more likely we will see WS launch YYC-DEL.
     
     
  #9930  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:30 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I actually don't think we will see AC resume Asia service. Seems way more likely we will see WS launch YYC-DEL.
Really? I thought YYC/NAR was decently full.
     
     
  #9931  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:53 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
Yes agree, Canada’s premium market routes for International flights is Toronto YYZ, Vancouver YVR & Montreal YUL. After that Calgary YYC to smaller extent.

Also British Airways uses the Airbus A380 plane ✈️ that can seat up to 500+ passengers on Vancouver YVR- London UK flight route during (Summers) & Its very unlikely BA returns to Alberta anytime soon!
Wouldn't call YYZ and YUL premium heavy either. BA can barely make YUL work. YUL has been a B788 station for BA since 2017. It's their smallest widebody, and no first class. YYZ regularly sees the B788 as well. And when they sub in the B789, often times first is sold as business class.

As for YVR, it seems its the most premium destination from the bunch. But even there, there's been reduction in service. BA used to fly 2x daily B744 to YVR. Which got then downgraded to 2x daily B772, and now a single daily A380. Recently we've seen their A350s to YVR as well.

Overall, BA's seats to Canada has dropped by 20% from 2011 to 2019. All 4 destinations saw a reduction in seats. In contrast, BA has grown 5% in the US over that time.

So where do you think BA will add destinations in the coming years. Canada, or the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
Air Transat used to fly seasonally to LGW, so we had three carriers (TS, AC and BA) going to LON in the past and BA was year round for years. The bigger issue I think is WS continuing to strangle YYC as a fortress hub. From the Canadian POS, it's easier to get to Europe directly from YYC rather than connect via LHR, especially as you say for leisure. And this summer, WS is double daily to LON on 789.

It 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 because WS' FF program is so terrible and inaccessible. Argh.
I was being specific to LHR.

But yes, WS continuing to add secondary European destinations from YYC doesn't bode well for BA's return to YYC. Unfortunately, YYC isn't a large enough market for there to be room for all these carriers.
     
     
  #9932  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 9:54 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
duplicate. delete
     
     
  #9933  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 10:13 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Unfortunately, YYC isn't a large enough market for there to be room for all these carriers.
In WS's case, this is not for O&D but rather hub traffic. Pre-COVID, 50% of YYC WestJet traffic was connecting. The intent is to get US pax to connect in YYC. Think SFO-YYC-LHR or PDX-YYC-CDG.
     
     
  #9934  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 10:31 PM
hehehe hehehe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: YYC--> BNE
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I actually don't think we will see AC resume Asia service. Seems way more likely we will see WS launch YYC-DEL.
I think YYC-DEL would be extremely successful for WS. I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch even this winter, depending on how Covid pans out. I could definitely see CDG 3-5x weekly year-round as well.
     
     
  #9935  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 11:35 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
I think YYC-DEL would be extremely successful for WS. I wouldn't be surprised to see it launch even this winter, depending on how Covid pans out. I could definitely see CDG 3-5x weekly year-round as well.
I think there is a LOT of connecting pax from YYC on the YVR-DEL routes.
     
     
  #9936  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:28 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I actually don't think we will see AC resume Asia service. Seems way more likely we will see WS launch YYC-DEL.
Canada-DEL non stop just got a whole lot harder because of what's going on in Ukraine/Russia. Look at AC's non stops to DEL from YYZ/YVR/YUL. Fuel stops at DUB on the westbounds back to YYZ/YUL are now the norm. Eastbound from YVR to DEL also now requires a fuel stop.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. Now however, I don't think YYC-DEL is on WS's mind.

Besides, Boeing is still not delivering new B787s. And a daily YYC-DEL would need 2 frames. You could make do with 1 with 3x weekly service.

Also, is there even any room left on the bilateral for WS to start YYC-DEL? I don't think there is. They're not even a designated Canadian carrier on the treaty.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/transport-agreement/india

But yes, demand is definitely there. Pretty big Indian community in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I think there is a LOT of connecting pax from YYC on the YVR-DEL routes.
Not just YYC, but YEG as well.
     
     
  #9937  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 2:43 PM
ace.yyc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Really? I thought YYC/NAR was decently full.
NRT? It was, but YYC-NRT is basically overflow for YVR-NRT. Only once that route is back performing at pre-pandemic levels would there be enough overflow to warrant YYC-NRT.
     
     
  #9938  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 3:58 PM
DoubleK DoubleK is offline
Near Generational
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace.yyc View Post
NRT? It was, but YYC-NRT is basically overflow for YVR-NRT. Only once that route is back performing at pre-pandemic levels would there be enough overflow to warrant YYC-NRT.
Yes. Typo.
     
     
  #9939  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 5:36 PM
hehehe hehehe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: YYC--> BNE
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Canada-DEL non stop just got a whole lot harder because of what's going on in Ukraine/Russia. Look at AC's non stops to DEL from YYZ/YVR/YUL. Fuel stops at DUB on the westbounds back to YYZ/YUL are now the norm. Eastbound from YVR to DEL also now requires a fuel stop.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. Now however, I don't think YYC-DEL is on WS's mind.

Besides, Boeing is still not delivering new B787s. And a daily YYC-DEL would need 2 frames. You could make do with 1 with 3x weekly service.

Also, is there even any room left on the bilateral for WS to start YYC-DEL? I don't think there is. They're not even a designated Canadian carrier on the treaty.

https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/transport-agreement/india

But yes, demand is definitely there. Pretty big Indian community in Alberta.



Not just YYC, but YEG as well.
Even with a fuel stop, DEL seems like a good pick for WS. If it can work with a fuel stop from YVR I'm sure it could work from YYC. I guess the problem is with the bilateral then. I wonder how difficult it would be for WS to get it changed.
     
     
  #9940  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 6:52 PM
thewave46 thewave46 is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Even with a fuel stop, DEL seems like a good pick for WS. If it can work with a fuel stop from YVR I'm sure it could work from YYC. I guess the problem is with the bilateral then. I wonder how difficult it would be for WS to get it changed.
I don’t know.

Air Canada could only make DEL work out of Canada fairly recently with the 787 from their largest hubs.

Is India premium heavy? I have my doubts. Combined with the high requirements for aircraft utilization, the extensive fuel required (11,000km route), the fact that Calgary is a smaller market, AC competition on the route from Canada, and lack of a connecting partner in India and the case seems iffy.

Last edited by thewave46; Mar 8, 2022 at 7:10 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.