HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #681  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:43 PM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
It's the City's one big chance to put a TOD village in Point Grey. I doubt they'll pass it up.

Though come to think of it, since TransLink's — off the NIMBYs either way, why not double down and start elevating it at Alma? It's a straight shot west down Broadway, along the golf course to College Highroad and then down Wesbrook Mall to 16th; should save about $70 million extra according to page 136.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #682  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:46 PM
Changing City's Avatar
Changing City Changing City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,342
MST-DC, the developers of Jericho Lands have said they would like a direct SkyTrain connection to their redevelopment. The Mayor noted in a 2019 Mayor's Council meeting that they had offered the land required for a station on their site. There's a Memorandum of Understanding between the landowners, the City and UBC to service the site with SkyTrain (although I don't think it specified that there will necessarily be a station on site). However, UBC have said "Extending the SkyTrain through the Jericho Lands now jointly owned and being developed by Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations provides a notable step toward reconciliation in BC."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #683  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:46 PM
Changing City's Avatar
Changing City Changing City is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,342
MST-DC, the developers of Jericho Lands have said they would like a direct SkyTrain connection to their redevelopment. The Mayor noted in a 2019 Mayor's Council meeting that they had offered the land required for a station on their site. There's a Memorandum of Understanding between the landowners, the City and UBC to service the site with SkyTrain (although I don't think it specified that there will necessarily be a station on site). However, UBC have said "Extending the SkyTrain through the Jericho Lands now jointly owned and being developed by Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations provides a notable step toward reconciliation in BC."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #684  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 12:02 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
I'd be surprised if there isn't one near Acadia Road or St Anselm's. Lelem's not as dense as Wesbrook, but it's another reconciliation site and definitely big enough to have a station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #685  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 12:02 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
I'd be surprised if there isn't one near Acadia Road or St Anselm's. Lelem's not as dense as Wesbrook, but it's another reconciliation site and definitely big enough to have a station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #686  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 12:20 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i hear this is guaranteed and they are looking at a few different options.
I also know someone on a consultation committee of some form (I can't recall its name), but she also said there will be a station at the Jericho Lands.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #687  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 12:20 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i hear this is guaranteed and they are looking at a few different options.
I also know someone on a consultation committee of some form (I can't recall its name), but she also said there will be a station at the Jericho Lands.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #688  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 2:05 AM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,219
It's rather amusing to watch the Anti-Skytrain wonks lose their freaking minds these days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #689  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 2:05 AM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,219
It's rather amusing to watch the Anti-Skytrain wonks lose their freaking minds these days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #690  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 4:22 AM
VancouverOfTheFuture's Avatar
VancouverOfTheFuture VancouverOfTheFuture is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I also know someone on a consultation committee of some form (I can't recall its name), but she also said there will be a station at the Jericho Lands.
i heard the same thing from someone who knows these things. if i were a betting man, i would bet 100% there will be one somewhere on the lands.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #691  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 4:22 AM
VancouverOfTheFuture's Avatar
VancouverOfTheFuture VancouverOfTheFuture is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I also know someone on a consultation committee of some form (I can't recall its name), but she also said there will be a station at the Jericho Lands.
i heard the same thing from someone who knows these things. if i were a betting man, i would bet 100% there will be one somewhere on the lands.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #692  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 6:14 AM
Sheba Sheba is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,597
I've also read articles about land being provided for a Jericho station. My guess based on regular spacing would have stops (on Broadway) at Macdonald, Alma, Crown and Blanca Loop. I don't know the UBC lands well enough to guess where they'd put any of those stations, other than it's a fairly straight shot from Blanca to the current UBC Exchange - plus that would give them a lot of room to do a gradual curve if they're going to have another station further down Wesbrook Mall towards W 16th Ave.

It's also a fairly safe bet it'll be tunnelled until at least Blanca, and then it'll depend on the route as to whether it'll be tunnelled or trenched. People on the west side have already made enough of a stink that it'll be easier to have the Skytrain in a tunnel. Yeah they could annoy them for the hell of it but I doubt that'll happen as it's not worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #693  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 6:14 AM
Sheba Sheba is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,597
I've also read articles about land being provided for a Jericho station. My guess based on regular spacing would have stops (on Broadway) at Macdonald, Alma, Crown and Blanca Loop. I don't know the UBC lands well enough to guess where they'd put any of those stations, other than it's a fairly straight shot from Blanca to the current UBC Exchange - plus that would give them a lot of room to do a gradual curve if they're going to have another station further down Wesbrook Mall towards W 16th Ave.

It's also a fairly safe bet it'll be tunnelled until at least Blanca, and then it'll depend on the route as to whether it'll be tunnelled or trenched. People on the west side have already made enough of a stink that it'll be easier to have the Skytrain in a tunnel. Yeah they could annoy them for the hell of it but I doubt that'll happen as it's not worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #694  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 6:22 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
I'd argue for a Sasamat station, that Safeway parking lot is poking out like a giant "flip me" sign. Re: UBC, they need to at least cover the hospital and the bus loop; from there, both Thunderbird Stadium and Wesbrook Village are good targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
It's rather amusing to watch the Anti-Skytrain wonks lose their freaking minds these days.
Ironically, Condon, Fitch, Murphy and Johnston have gone uncharacteristically silent...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #695  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 6:22 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
I'd argue for a Sasamat station, that Safeway parking lot is poking out like a giant "flip me" sign. Re: UBC, they need to at least cover the hospital and the bus loop; from there, both Thunderbird Stadium and Wesbrook Village are good targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
It's rather amusing to watch the Anti-Skytrain wonks lose their freaking minds these days.
Ironically, Condon, Fitch, Murphy and Johnston have gone uncharacteristically silent...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #696  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 7:36 AM
Aroundtheworld Aroundtheworld is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I've also read articles about land being provided for a Jericho station. My guess based on regular spacing would have stops (on Broadway) at Macdonald, Alma, Crown and Blanca Loop. I don't know the UBC lands well enough to guess where they'd put any of those stations, other than it's a fairly straight shot from Blanca to the current UBC Exchange - plus that would give them a lot of room to do a gradual curve if they're going to have another station further down Wesbrook Mall towards W 16th Ave.

It's also a fairly safe bet it'll be tunnelled until at least Blanca, and then it'll depend on the route as to whether it'll be tunnelled or trenched. People on the west side have already made enough of a stink that it'll be easier to have the Skytrain in a tunnel. Yeah they could annoy them for the hell of it but I doubt that'll happen as it's not worth the hassle.
I think that station makes sense, though I also think Sasamat is a better station location than Bianca. On the other side of station, there will also likely be a station at Acadia Road to serve the planned Musqueam development there.

I think having it be elevated in the median of University Blvd could be feasible, and you could have a sheltered bike line under the viaduct. The question is where would you have it go underground again (if at all).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #697  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 7:36 AM
Aroundtheworld Aroundtheworld is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I've also read articles about land being provided for a Jericho station. My guess based on regular spacing would have stops (on Broadway) at Macdonald, Alma, Crown and Blanca Loop. I don't know the UBC lands well enough to guess where they'd put any of those stations, other than it's a fairly straight shot from Blanca to the current UBC Exchange - plus that would give them a lot of room to do a gradual curve if they're going to have another station further down Wesbrook Mall towards W 16th Ave.

It's also a fairly safe bet it'll be tunnelled until at least Blanca, and then it'll depend on the route as to whether it'll be tunnelled or trenched. People on the west side have already made enough of a stink that it'll be easier to have the Skytrain in a tunnel. Yeah they could annoy them for the hell of it but I doubt that'll happen as it's not worth the hassle.
I think that station makes sense, though I also think Sasamat is a better station location than Bianca. On the other side of station, there will also likely be a station at Acadia Road to serve the planned Musqueam development there.

I think having it be elevated in the median of University Blvd could be feasible, and you could have a sheltered bike line under the viaduct. The question is where would you have it go underground again (if at all).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #698  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 8:06 AM
Diegotheartist1's Avatar
Diegotheartist1 Diegotheartist1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 163
If the UBC Extension were to go for Blanca Loop, then I suppose the extension's path would probably look like this:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #699  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 8:06 AM
Diegotheartist1's Avatar
Diegotheartist1 Diegotheartist1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 163
If the UBC Extension were to go for Blanca Loop, then I suppose the extension's path would probably look like this:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #700  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2021, 9:39 AM
Migrant_Coconut's Avatar
Migrant_Coconut Migrant_Coconut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kitsilano/Fairview
Posts: 10,182
Oh, oh, can I play?

Quote:
If it does go on University Boulevard, there's a good chance of them trying to save trees and remove car lanes (i.e. a SB alignment).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.