Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
Engineers in china know manufacturing engineering. There was an interview I saw with the CEO of Apple from two-three years ago. He was asked why manufacture the iPhone in China instead of the US. His answer was there are cheaper places to go than China. But the issue with most places, including the US is the lack of infrastructure and skilled engineers who know to build items to high tolerances on a mass production scale. On the infrastructure side it is the supply chain. You pick the correct city for electronics and within a short drive is distribution or other factories doing most of the parts you need.
As for care for the elderly. I don't know how this will work out in Chinese culture. Many of the people living in major cities in China are from rural China and retire back into a rural setting. The economics will be quite different than Canada.
|
That might work for the “mingong” migrant workers (although I am not sure how after 40+ years how practical it will be to go back to ancestral villages, if it even exists). For people who have residence permits in cities they will need to retire there.
I believe Tim Cook was referring specifically to tooling engineers, who presumably will be subject to the same demographic pressures.