HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


View Poll Results: Would you support an EU-like merger between UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand?
Yes 108 53.73%
No 76 37.81%
Don't know 17 8.46%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 8:06 PM
Hybrid247 Hybrid247 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I don't think so, Quebec by and large now is in I think a happy spot now where for the most part they are left alone to do their own thing, they have the benefits of being in confederation with very little risk at the same time viewed as a semi french nation when dealing with France. The CAQ is basically the modern equivalent of the old Union Nationale the Quebec version of a provincial PC party that is more autonomous than the Liberals while not full separatist like the PQ. I think they found a sweet spot politically that is where most Quebec voters view themselves these days outside of Montreal.
Honestly, I hope that's truly the case. I'm all for a more independent Quebec in Canada, considering they have special needs and interests compared to the ROC. The possibility of a fully independent Quebec is a scary prospect that always seems to loom large. I don't even want to think about how we would deal with the maritime provinces being physically cut off from the ROC, or how control and sovereignty over the St Laurent would be allocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I don't think there's a goal per se, aside from 'Let me do what I want'.

A lot of people get caught up in the concept of an overarching plot. Most of that time, there's no grand scheme. It happens to be a lot of little schemes that push in a direction until they don't.

There's no shadowy cabal with a grand design. No George Soros-led conspiracy. Just a bunch of people and a bunch of money with varying interests.
Certainly not trying to imply that the CAQ is actively conspiring to secede, but given their official party mandate, one has to consider it as a real possibility. Perhaps we're getting to a point where the true goal really is just greater independence within Canada, and if so, great.
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:02 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.