Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818
|
I'll stay home long enough to post saying you are absolutely right! We love the car.
We've put over 900km on in the first 8 days, including two day trips out, one to the Seaway and back through Smiths Falls and the other to Peterborough and back. Went shopping at the furthest away Costco because it gave me freeway miles to get used to driving it in all sorts of conditions. It doesn't cost me any more, so why not?
Observations:
We still look at gas prices each time we pass a station.
Our old pattern was to put at least $10 of gas in the car when we stopped at a station to use the restrooms. Can't do that now!
Superchargers are easy to use. Had the Peterborough road trip been solely 'energized' by Superchargers it would have cost me about $7 less than the Prius. But of course, it wasn't, so only cost me $10.12 plus the amortized cost of the electrical to our parking spot.
CyrusKafaiwu: It cost $850 (including the admin fee from our manager) to install the 110V. It is a dedicated circuit and the app claims we are charging at 7 - 8km/h. So about 150km of range in 24 hours.
Since I need 160km for emergency round trip to my son, and our longest, in-city driving is under 40km and we only do that roughly 2x per week, we keep the charge level at 360 km and only raised it when we were prepping for the Peterborough trip.
Highway road noise is more than in the Prius. Doors sound clunkier when you close them (that annoys me, because I feel quality cars should have a solid door closing sound compared to the cheap rentals I get.) That sort of noise deadening doesn't seem to be something Tesla does. Possibly because of weight affecting range, so I've promised to lose 10lbs and then we'll add some aftermarket sound abatement.
I'm letting my husband drive almost exclusively now since he'll be unable to drive for 6 - 8 weeks when/if he gets his surgery. We recently found out he'll also be seated in the back seat (protection from the airbag) so I'm glad the MY has so much room in the back!
I've only done about 60km on it so far and the hardest part was adjusting to the turn signals and radio controls. I've got turn signals down pat but am still a bit unclear on the audio. The controls are different for a passenger than the driver so more time at the wheel will help.
My husband loves the one-pedal driving but took a bit longer to mentally adjust to it than I did because I was already using the regen braking on the Prius to slow the car. This is just an order of magnitude greater! I still engage the brake when stopped at a light. I figure it is a habit I should keep because we'll be driving other cars from time to time.
On the backroads outside Brockville we had an opportunity to test the acceleration (both from 80kph and dead stop) and were blown away despite it being on the 'chill' mode. That's more than we'll ever need for our driving style. Like the Prius, I appreciate the torque to get the hell away from a bad situation in a hurry, so knowing the pickup is there, even in Chill, is enough for me.
The car goes into the shop now for a week for PPF.
And after end of quarter we'll book an appointment to get the passenger door better aligned. That was our biggest complaint and the tech claims it is in spec but I believe that the doors should not stick out at all when closed and this one does quite visibly.