Quote:
Originally Posted by santak003
The LRT vision (as I'm reading in between the lines and as being revisited by yourself and others) is a slow moving, somewhat frequent, not very large tram that connects into downtown and is not rapid transit and I find it interesting you mention it is a green technology to help with capacity issues.
However, what if the arbutus corridor stretch could become slow moving, but still high volume, by just adding cars. It can ... at any moment, become high volume...for free. That is not something you get every day. That seems odd to me and I would be remiss if I didn't point out that I would think that there would be some chance of this becoming more in the future..because it is there.
|
I'm also
assuming that it would be electrified based on the Arbutus studies

.
Speaking on volume, I think that micmiko had a very good idea of extending the 50 to Main Street Science World station in an attempt to gather more transit data on the route similar to the Arbutus streetcar. Speaking of which, I know that I have been derailing this discussion towards the Arbutus Streetcar proposal
(in contrast to LRT being chosen to serve UBC) so I just wanted to remind everyone (and myself) that we already have a thread dedicated towards discussing all of the
Arbutus Greenway and Future Streetcar Proposal details. I'll see you there

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santak003
It is interesting you mention the NIMBY quadrant. As that is likely the reason why the Arbutus to UBC is seems so politicized to me: there are voters involved.
How come everyone is worried about the streetcar streetscape? It must be the medium density.
|
The NIMBY mentality perplexes me a bit when it comes to the Arbutus > UBC Skytrain solution. Basically they hate the Skytrain being elevated (or even at-grade) because it produces noise, it blocks their views, they feel that it brings in the riff-raff (which it doesn't), and the station infrastructure is bulky; which most are legitimate points to have. Because of the NIMBY's in this particular neighbourhood
(along with the Broadway subway needing to be underground in the first place), it is mostly likely that a significant portion Arbutus > UBC stretch of Skytrain will be underground.
The NIMBYs always want to "compromise" with a street-integrated LRT system because of all of the superficial reasons that comes with street-integrated LRT including it giving the neighbourhood more of a town-feel

. Whereas the city will probably compromise by making most of the Arbutus > UBC stretch underground. My opinion is that half, if not most, will need to be underground anyways; and that it could potentially surface and elevate past Blanca street (however the alignment is finalized). But I digress... basically the NIMBYs would rather live in the
Town of Vancouver than the
City of Vancouver but the reality is that the region has 2.5 million people in a restricted urban geography

.
Essentially you have this one neighbourhood holding the metro region hostage by stubbornly insisting that it's ALL underground or that it should be a streetcar just to benefit the current owners whereas the Metro region needs this extension as Skytrain technology to meet environmental, housing, and employment needs. And then they use those reasons to oppose taller, denser developments which is a whole extra spin to this dance.
Now compound those feelings with the fact that Kitsilano has A LOT of these NIMBYs minus the Jericho Lands and UBC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
Light rail may be easier to build and extend, but a lot harder to upgrade and much more expensive to operate. Ridership estimates aside, the cost per rider is much lower with SkyTrain because you've got a higher-capacity vehicle and no driver salary; I've yet to hear of a tram turning a profit like the Expo or Canada do, so fiscally, that's a loss for TransLink.
|
I agree. I would be curious to know if any of Toronto's streetcar routes turn any profits for them? But then again Toronto's streetcar system is older than the automobile itself iirc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
That's the million-dollar question. Some say we should bite the bullet and build right after the Arbutus extension when costs are low, others want to wait for some density and ridership numbers. What almost everybody agrees is that with a metro and a quasi-downtown on one end, the province's biggest uni on the other, and multiple present (and future) urban villages in-between, it's a foregone conclusion.
|
I am definitely of the mind that we should absolutely build this thing to UBC ASAP while it is still "cheap".
We did the same thing with the original Millennium line - a lot of people criticized it for being a Skytrain to nowhere. But look at how far it has come since its original inception in terms of the TOD. The Brentwood, Lougheed, and Gilmore developments wouldn't have come to fruition if the Millennium line wasn't there in the first place and there are many more TOD examples with the Evergreen extension into Coquitlam. To me, the Skytrain creates and amplifies neighbourhoods even if it doesn't do it right from the first day; and it is cheap enough to operate to eventually capture the ridership.
Bringing my point to the Arbutus > UBC extension: by the time the VCC>Arbutus is in operation, it will be a heavily used line as Broadway is the province's second largest employment hub. A significant part of the ridership that is using the Broadway subway is already going to UBC. And UBC is already developing themselves very densely; and the Jericho Lands are also looking to develop densely as well meaning that the denser neighbourhoods are already a step ahead from the Burnaby TOD's when they were looking at developing around their respective Skytrain stations. There's already a high amount of interest to develop dense neighbourhoods along Arbutus > UBC; now compound that with an already high student ridership.
Heck, we are even seeing premature development interest in Surrey's Fleetwood area for when they extend the Expo line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
Again, think of Broadway as Bloor. I don't claim to be an expert on Toronto, but I doubt a streetcar through East York to Scarborough would've been a good idea.
|
This is
exactly how I feel about Broadway. I'm hoping that Broadway is going to give the COV a much-needed resurgence and second opportunity for denser urban developments like Bloor street in Toronto. Even the Broadway subway to Arbutus is going to do this if the COV can get its head out of its 🞵🞵🞵 when it comes to taller and denser developments outside of the core, like the Senakw project.