Some feedback:
Not necessarily, speed and frequency haven't been determined yet.
Current plan calls for two tracks and a probable replacement of the 16 and 50 routes - either of which I doubt TransLink'd do for a mere tourist trolley. [/QUOTE]
The point of me writing it was to align with the "top-down" model of thinking. It's more or less pre-determined is my thinking for some things. It will be 400-800m stops. That makes it a streetcar. It's something more than a local bus, but less than rapid transit. That's the current vision as predicated why the media I've been reading (the only accessible documents we have are via the internet). These things can change, but for some reason I don't think it will in this case. That's my guess.
If you read this document, it basically shows how politics does exist and it's not the dark side. Expectation of 0% politics would be the dark side.
https://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/pf_headline.asp?id=7737
I really don't know in some cases if democracy is relevant when choosing how to plan a city. Is top-down thinking good in some cases? Do people really know what volume is? It's clear to me that they don't know or care about volume and trust people to do what is right. So your next comment about how the math checks out doesn't make sense to me at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut
Politics or not (99% of the math checks out for most people), I'd be VERY wary of aligning with the "TL is corrupt" crowd, which from experience, has a lot of overlap with the "backseat-driving internet Karen" crowd. That path leads to the Dark Side.
|
There are several things that are only clear when reading the document: 1. All volume is student volume. Capacity side is all students. 2. The capacity issue occurs WB in the morning. 3. There's a uniform 10 minute penalty for all transfers. 4. It's impossible to validate all the assumptions of the model w.r.t. how it determines when people will walk/bike/drive, but all the decision making is on the model with no double checks to reality: Does this make any sense as to good planning? I mean, there are far too many assumptions and all of the document is basing it on a model. That's a sham. I came about this independently, but other people also were advertising this to the world:
https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/e...eds-to-reconsider-broadway-subway-to-ubc
"The Broadway subway line to UBC, with the appropriate acronym the “BS-Line,” has been accepted by Vancouver council, based on a consultant’s report some question as being more of a political document than a technical report. Within a week of release and with no public consultation, only two councillors voted against it, Colleen Hardwick and Jean Swanson."
To base things on a model without testing and then put the whole cities decision making on it is not a good idea. On the surface I agree with it when I read it and it was chronicled for me in the Vancouver Sun etc. However I decided to read it a little more and decided that it was not a valid engineering document IMHO. I then started reading some commentary on it and they were saying the same thing as me. Now you can decide to slam something because you don't agree with where things are going. Anyone can. You can drop your ego and say: Would I do this and bet everything on this document without checking. But they came to the same conclusion as me and I was basically just trying to see if the assumptions were valid. I would never base final decisions on a model without testing. No company I've ever worked for would either. What's the cost of that mistake?
Here's a comment from someone that sounds reasonable that says the same thing:
https://www.vancourier.com/opinion/a-bro...bc-is-not-a-regional-priority-1.23784368
[[["Notice no one else in the world builds with ART Movia metro or has copied the Canada line nonsense? No?
BC's AG David Eby, told me in a letter that TransLink was immune to investigation and or legal intervention; in short they can lie their teeth off and not be censured for it.
"The problem with TransLink is that you can never believe what it says; TransLink never produces a report based on the same set of assumptions."]]]
It is unreasonable to expect 0% politics too. So not sure what you mean by backseat driving and politics. I don't expect 100% politics or 0% politics. I find that Vancouver, you can sometimes figure out where things are going by reading what you can find online and basic understanding of capacity. I don't know what I don't know...
There should be many checks with this sort of thing. I'm assuming we don't have rocket scientists writing this stuff...but we do have lots of experience. I haven't seen too many planning documents out there, but I haven't read any of them basing decisions on a model that was not real and had not been used before.
What I think will happen is that there will be another rapid bus from Arbutus to UBC> With R4 41 giving 4400 pphpd, the Arbutus to UBC will fill the void in the capacity and the R4 41 is a good test bed. That's my guess as to what they are about to do.
UBC skytrain is not a regional priority and it shouldn't be. Capacity can be met with two rapid buses. That seems to me what they are planning to do.
I also think that it will be a low volume streetcar at some point. This document is from 2003 and everything word in it has come true:
https://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/pf_headline.asp?id=7737
I also think it will be a skytrain to UBC eventually.
So basically we should be looking at skytrain and streetcar integration at arbutus station when they build it. There should be both. It's not 0% politics.