Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45
I was merely pointing out that the glass ceiling in this country is actually lower for what I am (French Canadian) than it is for what you are (gay) or for what saffronleaf is (brown).
I had to "work harder", i.e. master another language, just to have my prospects become equal to the prospects that many others had simply thanks to birth lottery.
|
Absolutely.
Which is why my opinion remains that we should give children the best hand up to overcome any inherent disadvantages and give them the opportunity of succeed in the future.
The 'history behind racism' and 'who is the most discriminated against' game are somewhat useful debate, but I find them trite and non-productive. We like playing the blame game on this continent, but IMO we waste a lot of energy on it and accomplish nothing.
The more interesting question is how we move forward. What can we do to give people a better chance at future success? What can we do to overcome stereotypes?
Using yourself as an example, the mastery of the English language gave you a huge advantage in your business dealings. In fact, the glass ceiling for you (fluently bilingual) is now higher than for me (a unilingual Anglophone) in this country. You could be PM if you wanted to - I'm effectively excluded from the office and rightly so.
I say that many of the grassroots social programs that target youth - especially disadvantaged one - are the best chance we have at eliminating racism. That, along with funding for families who are on the margins of society, will likely do more to prevent racism and poverty-associated problems. Which is why I'm a supporter of the Canada Child Benefit. Bonus effect: kids who have a stable upbringing and good family life tend to be net contributors to the system, not takers. Think of it as a bonus that pays out for the next few decades.