HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1801  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:00 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
re: Aunt Jemima. Just change the brand name to White Trash: they love that HFCS.
I was going to say the taste of Aunt Jemima is offensive too.

Everyone should switch to Blacque Jacque Shellacque brand maple syrup.
     
     
  #1802  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:01 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Again, that's a strawman characterization of current opposition to BLM. Opposition to MLK in the 1960s was rooted in pure racism. I'm quite certain that some opposition to BLM in the 21st century is as well, but the two eras are not analogous.
I’ve been pretty clear. Strawman is a placeholder here for “things you don’t understand”.
     
     
  #1803  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:02 AM
saffronleaf saffronleaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Yes, some things have changed and some things have not. Most Americans disliked MLK and many cheered his death, for example. Now I’m pretty sure the vast majority of them alive then would not admit to that.
Ok, but that goes both ways. Many Western liberal elites in the mid-to-late 20th century supported pedophilia, for example. Now that stuff is buried under a hatchet and they won't admit to it.

Here's an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_petition_against_age_of_consent_laws

Quote:
In 1977, a petition was addressed to the French parliament calling for the abrogation of several articles of the age of consent law and the decriminalization of all consensual relations between adults and minors below the age of fifteen (the age of consent in France). A number of French intellectuals - including such prominent names as Louis Aragon, Michel Foucault, Jean-Paul Sartre, Jacques Derrida, Louis Althusser, Roland Barthes, Simone de Beauvoir, Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Michel Leiris, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Philippe Sollers, Jacques Rancière, Jean-François Lyotard, Francis Ponge, and various prominent doctors and psychologists - signed the petition.[1] In 1979 two open letters were published in French newspapers defending individuals arrested under charges of statutory 🞵🞵🞵🞵, in the context of abolition of age of consent laws.
Quote:
Michel Foucault argued that children are able to give consent to 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 relations, saying that assuming “that a child is incapable of explaining what happened and was incapable of giving his consent are two abuses that are intolerable, quite unacceptable.”[2] Foucault, Sartre, and newspapers such as Libération and Le Monde each defended the idea of child-adult 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 relationships. [3]
     
     
  #1804  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:04 AM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was going to say the taste of Aunt Jemima is offensive too.

Everyone should switch to Blacque Jacque Shellacque brand maple syrup.
I love Aunt Jemima pancake mix. Especially the instant-stuff that says you should just water. Best way to make it is with egg and milk.

I agree any thing in a liquid form with an Aunt Jemima brand is evil. Especially to a Canadian sensibility. Real maple syrup is the only thing that is acceptable.
     
     
  #1805  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:06 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Ok, but that goes both ways. Many Western liberal elites in the mid-to-late 20th century supported pedophilia, for example. Now that stuff is buried under a hatchet and they won't admit to it.

Here's an example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_petition_against_age_of_consent_laws
Well that is definitely tangential and one of the weirdest examples of whataboutism I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing... I guess.
     
     
  #1806  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:06 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
But how can I enjoy breakfast if I'm not reminded of racist stereotypes? Removing Aunt Jemima is the worst crime committed against white people since the invention of flavours.
     
     
  #1807  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:07 AM
saffronleaf saffronleaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, exactly. Also under this model black people cannot say they have been discriminated against more than French Canadians unless the black people are themselves French Canadian.

I question how much true communication can happen under a system where everybody talks about isolated personal experience or experience balkanized by identity group. There needs to be a way to reconcile different experiences, and an objective standard for deciding who gets what or how society operates. Usually facts and logic enter into the decision-making process somewhere.
This is truly one of the scariest aspects of this emerging cult.

Things like empathy, listening skills, reasoning abilities, and communication skills have traditionally been used by individuals to communicate with other individuals about topics with which they do not have direct experience.

Lived-in experiential information is useful and can add to the discourse, but I don't think it has exclusive rights over the discourse. In fact, lived-in experiences can sometimes be unreliable. People can be conditioned at an early age and their experiences can be biased by it.

It ruins discourse. Everyone has their own particular identities and can claim hegemony over some domain of discourse on that account. That is stupid and kills the discourse.
     
     
  #1808  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:11 AM
saffronleaf saffronleaf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Again, that's a strawman characterization of current opposition to BLM. Opposition to MLK in the 1960s was rooted in pure racism. I'm quite certain that some opposition to BLM in the 21st century is as well, but the two eras are not analogous.
Opposition to BLM is also often rooted in reasoning skills, numeracy, and a sense of fairness.
     
     
  #1809  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:18 AM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
I haven't had Aunt Jemima syrup or pancake mix since I was a poor student in the late 90s: I probably bought Dominion's Equality brand cheaper knockoff. As a child I liked the buckwheat mix (long since discontinued in Canada) but remember asking my mom the meaning behind the label: racist stereotype I was told.

Anyhow these days I make a tasty gluten free buckwheat pancake: buckwheat flour, baking soda/powder, pinch of salt, egg, olive oil, almond milk. Elmira's Foodland, or Zehr's Country Market in Millbank has an excellent selection of local Mennonite made maple syrup. I also use https://www.steenssyrup.com/ - it's a Southern thing.
     
     
  #1810  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:19 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Just saw in the news that Jagmeet Singh got kicked out of Commons for being an Anti-Québécois Racist... Comments?
What's most surprising is that some people are surprised that this is happening right now.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #1811  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:22 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Opposition to BLM is also often rooted in reasoning skills, numeracy, and a sense of fairness.
That is a highly unpopular opinion.
     
     
  #1812  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:27 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
This is truly one of the scariest aspects of this emerging cult.

Things like empathy, listening skills, reasoning abilities, and communication skills have traditionally been used by individuals to communicate with other individuals about topics with which they do not have direct experience.

Lived-in experiential information is useful and can add to the discourse, but I don't think it has exclusive rights over the discourse. In fact, lived-in experiences can sometimes be unreliable. People can be conditioned at an early age and their experiences can be biased by it.

It ruins discourse. Everyone has their own particular identities and can claim hegemony over some domain of discourse on that account. That is stupid and kills the discourse.
Also, to keep it real, we haven't seen a lot of lived experience posts in this thread from the pro-lived-experience crowd. It is mostly people talking in the abstract about the importance of lived experiences of others under the implicit assumption that this invalidates opinions they don't agree with.

Hipster Duck posted his experience of NOT suffering racism in Vancouver and that was largely ignored.
     
     
  #1813  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:33 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hipster Duck posted his experience of NOT suffering racism in Vancouver and that was largely ignored.
Pretty sure saffronleaf would generally say the same thing (in the GTA and a couple places in the U.S.)
     
     
  #1814  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:42 AM
urbandreamer's Avatar
urbandreamer urbandreamer is offline
recession proof
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,656
There's a lot of racism in Toronto, often from one newish Canadian group to another.
     
     
  #1815  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:51 AM
Pavlov's Avatar
Pavlov Pavlov is offline
Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You're essentially saying that the clear and tangible discrimination we're suffering because of who we are and the language that happens to be ours... is even more serious, since it's more justifiable.
Maybe an example will explain what I mean better.

Example:

An English-language daily newspaper in Vancouver has a vacant position for an editor. The employer develops a list of minimum requirements to screen candidates against. Those requirements include, unsurprisingly, fluency in (indeed, expert skill in) English. A unilingual francophone applies but is screened out because she does not speak any English at all. Provided that the employer in this case can prove that English fluency is truly necessary to perform the duties of the position (which it clearly could), the law says that this isn't discrimination).
__________________
Confucius says:
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.
     
     
  #1816  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:58 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Yeah, but my point was that, in the Great Race of Life from cradle-to-Vancouver-newspaper-editor, there are some Canadians who are starting from a way more disadvantaged position than others. Namely,

1) the one who's born in a remote place such as a northern reserve;
(where education isn't too valued)
2) the one who's born in a single-parent family in TO's black community;
(where education isn't too valued)
3) the one who's born in an unilingual francophone family;
etc.

versus, say, the stereotypical privileged WASP kid born with a golden spoon in his mouth...

All of the ones I listed above have to work a lot harder to hope to achieve the same thing... they don't have the same starting point.
     
     
  #1817  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:59 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
An English-language daily newspaper in Vancouver has a vacant position for an editor. The employer develops a list of minimum requirements to screen candidates against. Those requirements include, unsurprisingly, fluency in (indeed, expert skill in) English. A unilingual francophone applies but is screened out because she does not speak any English at all. Provided that the employer in this case can prove that English fluency is truly necessary to perform the duties of the position (which it clearly could), the law says that this isn't discrimination).
It depends on if you're talking about legal discrimination in hiring or some other concept like systemic racism. For the most part people in this thread aren't making legal arguments.
     
     
  #1818  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:05 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It depends on if you're talking about legal discrimination in hiring or some other concept like systemic racism. For the most part people in this thread aren't making legal arguments.
I was merely pointing out that the glass ceiling in this country is actually lower for what I am (French Canadian) than it is for what you are (gay) or for what saffronleaf is (brown).

I had to "work harder", i.e. master another language, just to have my prospects become equal to the prospects that many others had simply thanks to birth lottery.
     
     
  #1819  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:05 AM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The fact that they're greatly discriminated against...?

Try being an unilingual French Canadian in Vancouver. Your career prospects are even worse than if you're a black who's fluent in English!
Yep. I reckon a unilingual English Canadian in Chicoutimi would have worse career prospects than compared to a black who's fluent in French!

I don't really see how this point applies here.
     
     
  #1820  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:10 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I was merely pointing out that the glass ceiling in this country is actually lower for what I am (French Canadian) than it is for what you are (gay) or for what saffronleaf is (brown).

I had to "work harder", i.e. master another language, just to have my prospects become equal to the prospects that many others had simply thanks to birth lottery.
I agree. I am actually "privileged" in that I had one English speaking and one French speaking parent so I learned both as a little kid (unilingual Anglophones suffer from a level of oppression that I cannot relate to.. or maybe I'm the oppressed one? I have no idea).

Although I think it is impossible to form some kind of hierarchy out of these advantages and disadvantages because there are so many more variables. Maybe somebody was poor or rich, had only one parent, abusive parents, health problems, learning disabilities. What about tall vs. short? Ugly vs. attractive? Who knows?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.