Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45
It's far from a career to me but I've been in the military for a few years (handling all kinds of firearms), and have handled hunting weapons too; if you gave me body armor and a 🞵🞵🞵 and had me handle a disorganized loser wielding a kitchen knife whose intentions are unknown, I definitely wouldn't feel I have to kill them first and ask questions later. And if I were going to shoot them it would be in the leg, not chest.
Maybe that's easy to say and I'd change my mind after years of being a cop... can't know for sure... but they DO seem very trigger-happy, from an outsider's POV.
|
The current police training seems to be that if you are in a violent confrontation, you fear for your life and that you feel you must use your firearm, then you must employ deadly force.
1) - you aim for the centre of mass (central part of your lower chest where you heart is), not necessarily because you're aiming for the heart, it's just the part of the body where you are least likely to miss.
2) - you shoot more than once. This is because a single shot is unlikely to bring down an aggressor instantaneously. Unlike in the movies, it will often take a person a few minutes to die. While they are still conscious, they remain a threat.
The net result is that once a decision is made to shoot, this usually means 4-6 bullets to the chest and the victim is almost certain to die.
Is this right? Is this the proper thing to do? In my own mind, the answer is no, but the people doing the tactical training for these cops obviously think otherwise........