Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB
PS it is somewhat laughable to think the Hudson Bay building in downtown Winnipeg could be renovated to be like the 200 year old Galleria Umberto I in Naples which is part of a UNSECO World Heritage Site.
|
Why? Why couldn't we turn it into something amazing like this. I swear this is the exact attitude that keeps Winnipeg from realizing its potential. The reason places like Naples have these awesome buildings is because they decided that they could and would do it. I'm not saying that we do stuff like this on the public purse, but just outright dismissing ideas because they're not things that we've done here before is a little ridiculous.
BTW it was just an example, I don't think a carbon copy would be feasible or desirable either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
I've personally worked on at four redevelopment options for the bay...every one of them cut a big hole in the middle....like a giant doughnut.
|
Yeah that seems to be the most logical way to deal with the size issue.
The bay building presents an incredible opportunity to do something amazing and world class. We should be looking at creating something that distinguishes itself from other projects. Maybe department store retail is dead in downtown Winnipeg but this building can still be turned into a landmark destination. I kind of favour some sort of arrangement like this:
Dream big. That's all I'm saying.