Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:30 PM
|
 |
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline
I would be tempted to say bulldoze and build new but $38M for new construction? That seems a bit steep, no? I would have thought they could have built something great for half that price!
|
I think it is because they are fixed on the idea that it needs to be made of stone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish
Mortar holding the limestone blocks is in poor condition and in some cases is missing completely. An engineering report says the limestone blocks are poor-quality stone prone to cracking, and the stones themselves are crumbling as water gets in and repeatedly freezes and thaws.
“To rebuild the structure using a different stone from a different quarry — that is both very expensive and it’s not actually very authentic from a point of view of heritage conservation,” Jeanes said.
|
|