Quote:
Originally Posted by kel
In my opinion one could add the best of Winnipeg and the best of Halifax put together and it would still not be half of what downtown Edmonton has to offer even without the ice district. I would consider Edmonton closer to Calgary than it is to Winnipeg or Halifax. I have lived in all 4 cities at one time although Winnipeg very briefly.
|
Oh my god, this is even more comical. Halifax has a very strong downtown, and it's only getting more and more vibrant. The city has the benefit of being far older and having far greater "bones" than Edmonton, but even with only a third of our population, I'd say their downtown stacks up nicely to ours. Not *as* vibrant in aggregate, but per capita, it knocks us out of the park.
Kingston was a huge surprise with its downtown, which felt no less vibrant than Downtown Edmonton on a good summer's day (ie not when there's a major festival pumping up numbers). Things are changing with the arena, but yeah, there's been some surprising Canadian cities in terms of vibrancy.