HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6021  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:14 PM
LDROttawa LDROttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
I've been following this thread for a while but just got around to joining, so bear with me..

I was a little miffed by the delayed opening, but I think this CBC article explains it well: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/rtg-not-pay-1m-penalty-misses-deadline-1.4522684

Basically because back in November they never said they would meet the May date, they don't have to pay the fine. Figures...

On a second note, I have a question I've been unable to find an answer for: once the Confederation line opens, will any local buses be connecting at Cyrville station? From what I can see, they won't, which to me seems like such a waste as the station itself is pretty isolated. It's the closest station to where I live, but would still be a 14 min walk, so I'd love it if there was a connecting bus I could catch.
     
     
  #6022  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:18 PM
Truenorth00 Truenorth00 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 29,114
I predict in service days before election. RTG has to make it a month early.
     
     
  #6023  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:26 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROttawa View Post
I've been following this thread for a while but just got around to joining, so bear with me..

I was a little miffed by the delayed opening, but I think this CBC article explains it well: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/rtg-not-pay-1m-penalty-misses-deadline-1.4522684

Basically because back in November they never said they would meet the May date, they don't have to pay the fine. Figures...

On a second note, I have a question I've been unable to find an answer for: once the Confederation line opens, will any local buses be connecting at Cyrville station? From what I can see, they won't, which to me seems like such a waste as the station itself is pretty isolated. It's the closest station to where I live, but would still be a 14 min walk, so I'd love it if there was a connecting bus I could catch.
Welcome to the forum!

I unfortunately don't have a reference, but I seem to remember reading that all but one station will have connecting bus routes. I would assume uOttawa is the only station that won't be served by buses (for obvious reasons).
     
     
  #6024  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:31 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
I think there is a local route that stops at Cyrville in the future plans.
     
     
  #6025  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:53 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROttawa View Post

On a second note, I have a question I've been unable to find an answer for: once the Confederation line opens, will any local buses be connecting at Cyrville station? From what I can see, they won't, which to me seems like such a waste as the station itself is pretty isolated. It's the closest station to where I live, but would still be a 14 min walk, so I'd love it if there was a connecting bus I could catch.
The last time I saw a map of post-LRT bus plans there were no connections to Cyrville station planned. Local buses North of the Queensway in the vicinity (24, and to some extent the 19 and 27) connect to St. Laurent station.
     
     
  #6026  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 6:00 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
     
     
  #6027  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 6:13 PM
LDROttawa LDROttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Thanks.

Seems like such a waste to not serve the station, but I guess they just wanted everything to start/end at St. Laurent.
     
     
  #6028  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 6:20 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
That's a pretty big fail.
     
     
  #6029  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 6:40 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROttawa View Post
Thanks.

Seems like such a waste to not serve the station, but I guess they just wanted everything to start/end at St. Laurent.
St Laurent is a more efficient transfer point (dedicated bus platform, service desk, driver office, access to mall amenities).
     
     
  #6030  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:56 PM
J.OT13's Avatar
J.OT13 J.OT13 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 29,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
St Laurent is a more efficient transfer point (dedicated bus platform, service desk, driver office, access to mall amenities).
St-Laurent is a good spot for routes to start/terminate, but Cyrville is a solid secondary route, one of a few n/s arteries crossing the Queensway that serves a decent amount of jobs and residential (and of course, an LRT station). It could be used to take some pressure off Blair and St-Laurent. I can't find any reasons why it can't have at least one bus route every 20 minutes.
     
     
  #6031  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:19 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
St-Laurent is a good spot for routes to start/terminate, but Cyrville is a solid secondary route, one of a few n/s arteries crossing the Queensway that serves a decent amount of jobs and residential (and of course, an LRT station). It could be used to take some pressure off Blair and St-Laurent. I can't find any reasons why it can't have at least one bus route every 20 minutes.
Why don't they split route 42 in half and have both halves continue along Cyrville to St-Laurent (I suspect there isn't a lot of synergy between the two halves of the route)? The 24 could then continue straight along Ogilvie instead of doing that little detour to Cyrville.
     
     
  #6032  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:36 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
St-Laurent is a good spot for routes to start/terminate, but Cyrville is a solid secondary route, one of a few n/s arteries crossing the Queensway that serves a decent amount of jobs and residential (and of course, an LRT station). It could be used to take some pressure off Blair and St-Laurent. I can't find any reasons why it can't have at least one bus route every 20 minutes.
If they diverted an existing route to serve Cyrville station instead of St Laurent people would probably find it less convenient. If there was a new route to serve Cyrville it would be a pretty low demand route (Cyrville has no residents and little employment).

Another option would be to divert an Innes route to Cyrville station (such as the 94). Riders may find it less convenient than Blair.
     
     
  #6033  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:41 PM
LDROttawa LDROttawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
St Laurent is a more efficient transfer point (dedicated bus platform, service desk, driver office, access to mall amenities).
I get that, but it just seems odd to have no buses service Cyrville, especially considering how isolated the station is - walking will be the only way out. The walkable area around the station (I believe the standard they use is 800m) doesn't cover that much, and it's not very pedestrian friendly. I made a quick map showing what is covered.
     
     
  #6034  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:44 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
If they diverted an existing route to serve Cyrville station instead of St Laurent people would probably find it less convenient. If there was a new route to serve Cyrville it would be a pretty low demand route (Cyrville has no residents and little employment).
The 42 bypasses St-Laurent, on its route from Blair to Hurdman

Quote:
Another option would be to divert an Innes route to Cyrville station (such as the 94). Riders may find it less convenient than Blair.
Won't the 94 terminate at Blair post LRT?
     
     
  #6035  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:50 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDROttawa View Post
I get that, but it just seems odd to have no buses service Cyrville, especially considering how isolated the station is - walking will be the only way out. The walkable area around the station (I believe the standard they use is 800m) doesn't cover that much, and it's not very pedestrian friendly. I made a quick map showing what is covered.
Yes, but the area outside of the circle is either walking distance to St Laurent or Blair stations or accessible to a bus route that serves one of those stations.
     
     
  #6036  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 9:53 PM
roger1818's Avatar
roger1818 roger1818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stittsville, ON
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The city and RTG agreed that May 24, 2018 would be that date (the city’s own preparations and rehearsals would take a few weeks beyond that). RTG supposedly said they thought they could hit it. The city said no, we don’t think so, take until November.
From this it sounds like it was the city who decided to delay the transfer date, not the RTG.
     
     
  #6037  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:24 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
There is going to be increasing intensification on Cyrville Road. The solution is to run the 94 to St. Laurent via Cyrville (I am sure there is already demand for that anyways) and the 24 can run in a straight line on Ogilvie instead of the current diversion to Cyrville. There are 5 bus routes on Blair during peak periods for those needing to connect at Blair. I might even extend the 26 into the Startop area and run the 42 straight down Innes. Just a thought of moving away from meandering bus routes beyond locals.
     
     
  #6038  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:24 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
As acottawa pointed out, the real issue isn't the delay, it's that we didn't hear about it officially until now and until quite recently everyone involved was denying the delay.

We should have known, publically and officially, that a schedule slip was likely a year ago.
Yes, that's the real issue. Unfortunately, it's par for the course for the Watson-led council.
__________________
___
Enjoy my taxes, Orleans (and Kanata?).
     
     
  #6039  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:31 PM
Vixx Vixx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wild Rose Country/Worst Case Ontario
Posts: 398
Main issue I have is the date of when the Confederation line is expected to open. An end of November opening date has 🞵🞵🞵🞵 show screaming all over it. Middle of school season, near the holidays, likely bad weather etc. Even an October date would've been a bit better.

Realistically most of us believed, a long time ago, that the opening date would be pushed back. That's fine, it's a huge project bound to run into some difficulties, but the fact they waited so long to announce the push back is stupid.

If RTG thought they could've hit the target date, why didn't the city say "okay, but in case you don't since odds aren't in your favour, we'll give you guys an extension of about 2 months" so that this thing could still be opening while its warm out and before September came in. If they failed to deliver by September, then the city could collect the million dollar penalty. It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but I can name a couple of roads that sure could use a repaving.
     
     
  #6040  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:51 PM
lrt's friend lrt's friend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,811
There is no guarantee that an early November turn over will mean that they can actually start service at the end of November. If problems are found during final training and testing, there could be further delays.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:03 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.