Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow
Thank you for saying this. One need only travel as far as Minneapolis/St. Paul to see what this looks like. The City of Minneapolis proper is a city of only ~350,000 people, which I would guess was all built up by 1960. Yet I don't think it's citizens bemoan the hundreds thousands of people who live in St. Louis Park, Bloomington, St. Anthony, etc. as avaricious freeloaders the same way we do here.
And aside from drive on city roads, what other municipal services do capital region dwellers "take advantage" of? Unless they are living in parts of East or West St. Paul that pay for City water/sewer, I can't think of any.
|
The difference of course is that in Minneapolis, the city doesn't have to build and maintain the commuting routes used by exurban commuters the same way that it does in Winnipeg.
Like I said in my earlier post on the topic, I don't think a few buildings make much of a difference, but on the margins the City of Winnipeg is better off having residents of a MURB situated inside city limits and contributing to city taxes as opposed to being just outside the boundaries and paying taxes to East St. Paul instead.