Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
^ Fine with me, keep the multi-family tax base in Winnipeg.
The funny thing is that apart from the strip along the river and much of Pritchard Farms, ESP has its share of junky old farmhouses. It's not exactly Beverly Hills. Sounds like some residents are experiencing delusions of grandeur.
|
Haha, as a resident of east st paul who aside from taxes spends all his time and money in the city, I wouldn't mind seeing the tax base jump up.
East St Paul is a beautiful place to be, but stagnant. I wish it would aspire to more than just staying the same. I don't want a metropolis, just don't want people to fear economic/development progress!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh
I don't know, I've been told that ESP is dependent on development fees to pay the day-to-day expenses. IF this is true then their budget relies on the housing market.
|
This right here... They need these fees. I gathered the council wanted to be in favour but couldn't... such was the backlash. You can't reason with residents who quite literally were saying that others "don't deserve to be here" below a certain price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
^ ESP can be 5 acre lots all around... What interest would a Winnipeg taxpayer have in seeing the exurbs eat into dense multifamily developments that would otherwise be built here?
|
True, but to some extent it's practically an extension of Winnipeg... this proposal was still within the perimeter, so all the daily effects of added density would be more felt by North Kildonan than ESP north of the perimiter, taxes aside.