HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7281  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:37 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #7282  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:54 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Yes technically there is still another "Motel" on N. Temple, east of I-80, so I'm guessing it's just the thought of old motels you don't like or is it actually each individual motel and the activities that go on there that you don't like? The reason I am clarifying is that I have never really looked at the motel on 300 W and N. Temple in the same category as the motels west of I-15, and I believe the other motel, between W. Temple and 200 W, is used for couple missionaries to stay in. So if it's just motels in general that you don't like I get it, but if it is the reputation and "use" of the motels then you are simply lumping all of them together based on location and design, as being a place were poor people live and hookers do their thing.

I for one would rather the last little motel stay as it is, rather than be torn down for more parking, which is what I would guess would be the interim use if it were to be torn down.
No, I don't have a problem with motels. Just sleazy ones... and unfortunately every single one on North Temple falls into that category. It's not as bad on the east side... but I have seen prostitutes hanging around the 2 motels on the east side. There use to be one in the building that I live in.. the creepy thing is that when the building first opend they had all of the old motel mattresses stored in the parking garage and they were trying to sale them for like a year. I don't know if somebody finally bought them or if they just got rid of them... but eww. The guy who owns all the seasons properties is really into recycling and conservation though... so it's no surprise... he's putting solar panels on the building now I'm not sure for what purpose though.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #7283  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:49 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
No, I don't have a problem with motels. Just sleazy ones... and unfortunately every single one on North Temple falls into that category. It's not as bad on the east side... but I have seen prostitutes hanging around the 2 motels on the east side. There use to be one in the building that I live in.. the creepy thing is that when the building first opend they had all of the old motel mattresses stored in the parking garage and they were trying to sale them for like a year. I don't know if somebody finally bought them or if they just got rid of them... but eww. The guy who owns all the seasons properties is really into recycling and conservation though... so it's no surprise... he's putting solar panels on the building now I'm not sure for what purpose though.
I completely agree with you Ajiuo. In order to make N temple look like a grand Blvd, those little low end motels need to go.

An another note, does anyone know if the land east of the North sixth appts will be developed? Those little homes, although tidy (except for the furthest north one) do not fit in.
     
     
  #7284  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 1:06 AM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
This whole thing just seems like a transfer of wealth from poor neighborhoods to wealthy developers and business owners. I am very much against the men's shelter moving but I can see why moving the women would be for the greater good. I think that they will move the shelter and then conveniently forget about all their homeless mitigation plans. Build a rehab facility, build transitional housing, etc elsewhere don't just dump the problems on another neighborhood.
The really unfair thing about this is that property owners around pioneer park got a discount because of the presence of the shelter and likewise people elsewhere paid more than they otherwise would have because of its absence. If it is going to move, then at the very least, the increased property tax receipts in the pioneer park neighborhood should go to property owners in the neighborhood that it moves to.
     
     
  #7285  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:38 AM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
An another note, does anyone know if the land east of the North sixth appts will be developed? Those little homes, although tidy (except for the furthest north one) do not fit in.
There is a preliminary plan to build an apartment complex on those houses just north of North Six parallel to the viaduct, in partnership with Wasatch Community Gardens to move their headquarters to the base of the building with space for a restaurant, and have the area between that development and north 6th and behind both to become a community park/garden.
     
     
  #7286  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 11:40 AM
SLC2GeorgetownU's Avatar
SLC2GeorgetownU SLC2GeorgetownU is offline
SLC or BUST
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 54
More info on The Regent Street Hotel

SALT LAKE CITY—Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce today announced it has closed negotiations for the successful purchase of a downtown parcel and future site of the boutique, 251,810 square-foot Regent Street Hotel, envisioned to be Salt Lake City’s finest hotel once completed.

Phillip Eilers, International Business and Industrial Specialist with Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce represented the buyer, Regent 200 LLC, in a seven month negotiation and approval process. Regent 200 is a partnership between investor-developers Form Development and The Pelorus Group, both of whom have offices in downtown Salt Lake City, managing both in-state and out-of-state investments. The site is located at the east corner of 200 South and Regent Street, directly north of downtown’s Gallivan Center.

“When completed, this will be the seventh tallest building in Salt Lake,” said Eilers. “It will have an unusually thin profile, similar to the attractive precedent at the Monaco Hotel. That said, the project will be the first of its kind in Salt Lake because of its mixed uses and spectacular roof-top bar, patio and swimming pool.”

Existing requirements permit a maximum 100 feet of vertical construction for sites of this type within Salt Lake’s Central Business District. The Regent Street Hotel proposes an increase of 230 feet to that limit, climbing 22 floors up its 330-foot tower. Salt Lake City’s Planning Commission approved the hotel design and height variance in their commission meeting early last month, giving developers the final green-light to move forward with the purchase and next phase of planning.

Regent 200’s purchase couldn’t be better timed, nor its location better situated. Public and private investment in new downtown construction has been at an all-time high, particularly in Regent’s block, where 111 Main and Utah’s new Performing Arts Center (UPAC) are currently under construction. Construction will also begin soon on major enhancements to Regent Street’s pedestrian experience.

The Regent Street Hotel already benefits from so much neighboring investment. By itself, the original 0.15 acre Eat-a-Burger parcel was far too small to accommodate the hotel’s proposed 0.27 acre footprint (11,739 square feet). In response, Salt Lake City Council members, acting as the Redevelopment Agency (RDA) Board of Directors, approved Regent 200’s purchase of three RDA owned parcels directly adjacent the Regent 200’s north boundary. The approved Option to Purchase Agreement added 0.13 acres to the original purchase, bringing the total area to 0.28 contiguous acres (12,117 square feet).

“This project identifies two critical trends in downtown’s development,” said Mike Farmer, Executive Director of Industrial at Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce. “Change has come with no sign of slowing, and both city leaders and developer/investors are tackling challenges they ignored in previous years.” The looming question for developers is how to capitalize on increased and increasing costs.

The 251,810 square-foot hotel will welcome hotel guests, residents, and visitors through a transparent, ground level lobby and hotel restaurant. Meeting rooms and limited access gym and spa will occupy floors two and three, followed by the hotel’s 190 guest rooms from floors 4 to 12. Private condos will occupy the remaining top floors (13-20) of the main building, with private balconies added only to residences on floors 15-20. The final two floors (22 and 23) will feature a rooftop pavilion covering the hotel’s bar, patio and swimming pool, with an 18.5-foot penthouse at its crown.

The project is slated to begin construction this coming fall, 2016, finishing spring, 2018.
     
     
  #7287  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:58 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
I think this will become one of my favorite tower projects over the past ten-plus years. I love the design, and what it will do as an anchor for Regent St. I am really looking forward to following it's pictorial construction from our great photogs.
     
     
  #7288  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:11 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
An another note, does anyone know if the land east of the North sixth appts will be developed? Those little homes, although tidy (except for the furthest north one) do not fit in.
lol those little homes fit in better than the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 across the street - and they're original, to boot. I don't agree with demolishing SLC's older housing stock for these cookie-cutter bland apartments that seem to be going up around the city like weeds.
     
     
  #7289  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:56 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
An another note, does anyone know if the land east of the North sixth appts will be developed? Those little homes, although tidy (except for the furthest north one) do not fit in.
The developers of North Sixth own every single one of those homes. I think they plan on developing phase 2 there. Looking around at apartments I've never seen a current opening at North Sixth so I'm sure it's in high demand.
     
     
  #7290  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:13 PM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
The developers of North Sixth own every single one of those homes. I think they plan on developing phase 2 there. Looking around at apartments I've never seen a current opening at North Sixth so I'm sure it's in high demand.
I've heard about the Wasatch Community Gardens proposal. Don't know if that's finalized or what. All of that land south of North Temple and east of 600 W is the former American Barrel Superfund site and I wonder if timing is dependent on environmental clearances.

Anybody know what's going on with the UTA land across the street (NE corner of 600 W North Temple). I've heard of a few proposed developments but it seems to have gone quiet.
     
     
  #7291  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:56 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
.....he's putting solar panels on the building now I'm not sure for what purpose though.
Wouldn't that be to reduce the common area energy cost?



SLC2GeorgetownU
Thank you for the article regarding Regent Hotel. I am excited about the addition to downtown and particularly Regent St and Gallivan Center. If Carl's Jr could redeveloped I would say that the Gallivan area would be complete. I know some don't like the Walker Garage, but honestly it doesn't bather me all that much, with beautiful building such as the Walker Center and Regent Hotel, the garage won't even register to me. Again, just my opinion.
     
     
  #7292  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 8:09 PM
Gastroc's Avatar
Gastroc Gastroc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC2GeorgetownU View Post
SALT LAKE CITY—Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce today announced it has closed negotiations for the successful purchase of a downtown parcel and future site of the boutique, 251,810 square-foot Regent Street Hotel, envisioned to be Salt Lake City’s finest hotel once completed.

Phillip Eilers, International Business and Industrial Specialist with Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce represented the buyer, Regent 200 LLC, in a seven month negotiation and approval process. Regent 200 is a partnership between investor-developers Form Development and The Pelorus Group, both of whom have offices in downtown Salt Lake City, managing both in-state and out-of-state investments. The site is located at the east corner of 200 South and Regent Street, directly north of downtown’s Gallivan Center.

“When completed, this will be the seventh tallest building in Salt Lake,” said Eilers. “It will have an unusually thin profile, similar to the attractive precedent at the Monaco Hotel. That said, the project will be the first of its kind in Salt Lake because of its mixed uses and spectacular roof-top bar, patio and swimming pool.”

Existing requirements permit a maximum 100 feet of vertical construction for sites of this type within Salt Lake’s Central Business District. The Regent Street Hotel proposes an increase of 230 feet to that limit, climbing 22 floors up its 330-foot tower. Salt Lake City’s Planning Commission approved the hotel design and height variance in their commission meeting early last month, giving developers the final green-light to move forward with the purchase and next phase of planning.

Regent 200’s purchase couldn’t be better timed, nor its location better situated. Public and private investment in new downtown construction has been at an all-time high, particularly in Regent’s block, where 111 Main and Utah’s new Performing Arts Center (UPAC) are currently under construction. Construction will also begin soon on major enhancements to Regent Street’s pedestrian experience.

The Regent Street Hotel already benefits from so much neighboring investment. By itself, the original 0.15 acre Eat-a-Burger parcel was far too small to accommodate the hotel’s proposed 0.27 acre footprint (11,739 square feet). In response, Salt Lake City Council members, acting as the Redevelopment Agency (RDA) Board of Directors, approved Regent 200’s purchase of three RDA owned parcels directly adjacent the Regent 200’s north boundary. The approved Option to Purchase Agreement added 0.13 acres to the original purchase, bringing the total area to 0.28 contiguous acres (12,117 square feet).

“This project identifies two critical trends in downtown’s development,” said Mike Farmer, Executive Director of Industrial at Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce. “Change has come with no sign of slowing, and both city leaders and developer/investors are tackling challenges they ignored in previous years.” The looming question for developers is how to capitalize on increased and increasing costs.

The 251,810 square-foot hotel will welcome hotel guests, residents, and visitors through a transparent, ground level lobby and hotel restaurant. Meeting rooms and limited access gym and spa will occupy floors two and three, followed by the hotel’s 190 guest rooms from floors 4 to 12. Private condos will occupy the remaining top floors (13-20) of the main building, with private balconies added only to residences on floors 15-20. The final two floors (22 and 23) will feature a rooftop pavilion covering the hotel’s bar, patio and swimming pool, with an 18.5-foot penthouse at its crown.

The project is slated to begin construction this coming fall, 2016, finishing spring, 2018.
Thanks for the info. Was this article from today or from October of last year? I thought there was no way they would be starting construction this fall...
     
     
  #7293  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 8:10 PM
stayinginformed stayinginformed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
Thanks for the info. Was this article from today or from October of last year? I thought there was no way they would be starting construction this fall...
At the planning commission meeting last night they requested and received a 1 year extension to start construction. I don't think it will break ground this fall either.
     
     
  #7294  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 8:13 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC2GeorgetownU View Post
SALT LAKE CITY—Cushman & Wakefield | Commerce today announced it has closed negotiations for the successful purchase of a downtown parcel and future site of the boutique, 251,810 square-foot Regent Street Hotel, envisioned to be Salt Lake City’s finest hotel once completed.

Thanks for posting. When posting this info, you need to post the article link/source too, or did I miss it? When was the article published?
     
     
  #7295  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 8:48 PM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks for posting. When posting this info, you need to post the article link/source too, or did I miss it? When was the article published?
Based upon Google search results, it was published in October 2015.
     
     
  #7296  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:53 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,636
Since it's almost fall, 2016, and this article is almost a year old, I'm guessing construction ain't set for fall.
     
     
  #7297  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 1:14 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Since it's almost fall, 2016, and this article is almost a year old, I'm guessing construction ain't set for fall.
I would assume that no construction will begin until everything else on regent street is wrapped up. The exterior of UPAC is almost done, and the street itself is getting there... they still have some work on the stucco building and quite a bit to do on the parking garage. They are using that property and the old grayhound property for construction.... speaking of witch. I hope the church does somthing about the corner where grayhound use to be after they are done... it looks horrible with the fence and weeds and general neglect. The sidewalks and gutters on that property are in horrible shape as well. I'm kind of surprised that the city lets them get away with not maintaining the property considering it's right across the street from the salt Palace... I'm sick of looking at it, I can tell you that.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!

Last edited by ajiuO; Aug 26, 2016 at 1:24 AM.
     
     
  #7298  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 1:19 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
lol those little homes fit in better than the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 across the street - and they're original, to boot. I don't agree with demolishing SLC's older housing stock for these cookie-cutter bland apartments that seem to be going up around the city like weeds.
Two of the homes look okay... The home/old abandoned store... or whatever the hell that thing is that is on the corner needs to go for sure though... I would almost rather see an empty field of weeds.

__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #7299  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:10 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,636
I agree the corner shed thingy, whatever the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 it is, needs to go. But the other houses are in pretty good condition and a rarity of that style west of downtown.



I know it's only three homes but they've got way more character than a bland, cold apartment complex.
     
     
  #7300  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:39 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
This is what needs to happen...


- Construct a new women shelter in the peoples freeway district.
- Construct a new men's shelter in the South Temple and Redwood Road area.
- Demolish all of the homeless facilities on second S. / Rio Grande.
- Demolish all of the homeless facilities in the 400 W. 500 S area.
- Pass laws that prohibit any panhandling directed at traffic. The argument can easily be made that it's distracting, unsafe, and interferes with traffic. This would include standing at freeway exits, in the middle of roads, parking lot exits, and any solicitation directed at traffic in anyway. Citations could be issued to both panhandlers and citizens who stop their car and interfere with traffic.
- Panhandlers are generating income. They should be required to have a panhandlers license... This has been done in other cities. We could also limit the number of panhandlers per block. Currently I would expect to run into about 10 to 15 panhandlers on certain city blocks... That number is just too high.
- The state should close down the liquor store on 200 west. They should lease some small space inside of city Creek Center, Gateway, and trolley square for new smaller stores. Having the liquor stores inside of malls would make them subject to the mall's rules, dress codes, and loitering policies. It would also be more convenient and solve traffic problems created by the liquor store on 200 w
- Remove the grass from the 400 W islands. Plant large trees and surround them with shrubbery.
- Use eminent domain to demolish PCA and the other factory across the street. Sell the land to developers.
- Clean up 500 and 600 S. Remove all of the billboards, put the power lines underground, redo the sidewalks in a way that eliminates areas for large numbers of homeless people to congregate and swap parts from their stolen bikes, do something to encourage development on vacant land... I'm sure addressing the issue with all the sketchy people in the area would be encouragement enough
- Put a Harmon sized grocery store in the area
- Redevelop Pioneer Park. Keep the trees but eliminate the out houses
- Use eminent domain to develop the vacant land owned by the Greek Orthodox Church... Allow them to use Pioneer Park for the Greek festival.
- Redevelop the area west of the Rio Grande depot. It would be nice to better connect to that area with Gateway.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.