HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7241  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:09 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Three replies in a row, sorry...

Is anyone really surprised that the Void Corporate Center appears to be doomed? I called it all the way back when it was announced. It just felt too good to be true. Oh well.
That is one thing we have always agreed on. That we had our doubts about the VOID Center.

I always hoped it would happen, but had serious doubts. I haven't seen anything regarding Evermore (wood) Land, whatever it was called. Seems like another Brandt Anderson, with the massive Lehi project, big proposals, with no results.
     
     
  #7242  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:14 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
How much you wanna bet that whoever buys the property ends up putting a 5-7 story apartment building that is cladded in a mixture of stucco, natural stone, and metal (for that modern edge)?

At least the regent street hotel is still pretty likely... I'm guessing that might have helped to kill this though.
Luckily it's going to have to be at least 9 or 10 stories, of stucco, because minimum heights in the D-1 are 100'. So at least it will be a tall pile of —. lol
     
     
  #7243  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:32 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I think it's time to start getting our YIMBY voices heard, and speak up in favor of mixed use and higher densities. My opinion is that if we don't put higher densities on 600 S and 700 E, adjacent to a neighborhood commercial center anchor, then where?

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4253826-155/neighbors-will-get-another-chance-to
     
     
  #7244  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:34 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
That is one thing we have always agreed on. That we had our doubts about the VOID Center.

I always hoped it would happen, but had serious doubts. I haven't seen anything regarding Evermore (wood) Land, whatever it was called. Seems like another Brandt Anderson, with the massive Lehi project, big proposals, with no results.
He already announced Evermore wouldn't happen.
     
     
  #7245  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:36 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Three replies in a row, sorry...

Is anyone really surprised that the Void Corporate Center appears to be doomed? I called it all the way back when it was announced. It just felt too good to be true. Oh well.
Too good to be true? More like, too crappy to be true. That architectural 'design' was a steaming pile of —.
     
     
  #7246  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:10 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Downtown SLC has released its annual report. - http://downtownslc.org/images/DTA_State_of_Downtown_2016_EMAIL_1.pdf

A lot of interesting things to read. Some including 440,000 new sq. feet of office space added, 2,344 residential units added and 513 new hotel rooms. They also continue to mention they're in negotiation with a 'developer' for a 800-1200 room CCH.
     
     
  #7247  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 8:48 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Too good to be true? More like, too crappy to be true. That architectural 'design' was a steaming pile of —.
Disagree on the second design, which I really, really, really liked.

Then it got progressively worse.

This is the one I liked:

http://i0.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.co...s3f568435.jpgoriginal-e1420248801867.jpg
     
     
  #7248  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 9:17 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
I've always thought someone ought to put an office building there for law firms, right across from the Federal court.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
How much you wanna bet that whoever buys the property ends up putting a 5-7 story apartment building that is cladded in a mixture of stucco, natural stone, and metal (for that modern edge)?

At least the regent street hotel is still pretty likely... I'm guessing that might have helped to kill this though.
     
     
  #7249  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 9:37 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Disagree on the second design, which I really, really, really liked.

Then it got progressively worse.

This is the one I liked:

http://i0.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.co...s3f568435.jpgoriginal-e1420248801867.jpg
I liked that one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I have my doubts about Regent also. I would love for this to be built, but do they have a hotelier on board yet?
I think the one thing The Regent Hotel has going for it, is that the boutique market is a much different market than say the CCH market. Add in the residential component and I estimate that demand alone will make Regent happen, as they operator won'd be competing with another hotel in their existing SLC portfolio.
     
     
  #7250  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 5:11 AM
justiny justiny is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I think the one thing The Regent Hotel has going for it, is that the boutique market is a much different market than say the CCH market. Add in the residential component and I estimate that demand alone will make Regent happen, as they operator won'd be competing with another hotel in their existing SLC portfolio.
What about the Hotel Monaco less than a block away?
     
     
  #7251  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 12:58 AM
San Diego-Honolulu San Diego-Honolulu is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
What about the Hotel Monaco less than a block away?
Hotel Monaco Salt Lake is part of a chain/franchise of hotels with the same name. I know there are other Hotel Monaco's in places such as Seattle, Portland, and Denver. I'm not sure if the Salt Lake Hotel Monaco would count as a true stand alone boutique hotel like the one that might get built in Salt Lake City less than a block away.
     
     
  #7252  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 3:15 AM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
I heard a rumor the other day that the RDA was considering a new Urban renewal area in the people's freeway district. Can anyone confirm?
     
     
  #7253  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 5:59 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Hotel Monaco Salt Lake is part of a chain/franchise of hotels with the same name. I know there are other Hotel Monaco's in places such as Seattle, Portland, and Denver. I'm not sure if the Salt Lake Hotel Monaco would count as a true stand-alone boutique hotel like the one that might get built in Salt Lake City less than a block away.
The Kimpton Hotel Group, which owns Hotel Monaco, was the first to develop the boutique hotel concept in America in 1981. There's nothing about a boutique hotel that says it can't be part of a chain.
     
     
  #7254  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 6:58 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
I would say the Hotel Monaco fits the bill. It's a bit larger than many boutique hotels, but beyond size, it's got a great deal in common with what makes a boutique hotel a boutique hotel in the first place.

It's slightly larger than Denver's (189 rooms, SLC's has 225 rooms), but it fits, I think.

More importantly, Kimpton considers it a boutique hotel:

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutique-hotels-in-salt-lake-city
     
     
  #7255  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 2:43 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I heard a rumor the other day that the RDA was considering a new Urban renewal area in the people's freeway district. Can anyone confirm?
Yes it is included in the proposed boundaries of the State Street Project Area which is in the planning stages with final boundaries yet to be announced.
     
     
  #7256  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 11:26 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,766
I don't remember anyone following up on this photo with a comment. So, what is the reason for ripping this out? Anyone know? Are they getting ready to make a move on this property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
They're ripping out that raised flower bed barrier that separated the parking lot adjacent to the old Zion's Bank building from the Main Street sidewalk.

     
     
  #7257  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 2:05 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Yes it is included in the proposed boundaries of the State Street Project Area which is in the planning stages with final boundaries yet to be announced.
I'm so excited!
     
     
  #7258  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 2:22 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I don't remember anyone following up on this photo with a comment. So, what is the reason for ripping this out? Anyone know? Are they getting ready to make a move on this property?
I was walking down Main St last night and they have rebuilt the rear wall, and what was the planter is just cement not.
     
     
  #7259  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 3:27 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
I'm so excited!
What's the People's Freeway District? and what's so exciting about the Urban Renewal District there?
     
     
  #7260  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 6:06 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What's the People's Freeway District? and what's so exciting about the Urban Renewal District there?
(thank you for asking, I didn't want to be the one...)
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.