HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7081  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 2:40 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I recently found an article in the newspaper archives that said the original plans for Frontrunner were to make it underground at the Gateway and use the old UP station. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link. I was looking for something else at the time.
That would've been cool! I quite honestly think that everything should've been put underground north of 900 S.
     
     
  #7082  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:47 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I recently found an article in the newspaper archives that said the original plans for Frontrunner were to make it underground at the Gateway and use the old UP station. Unfortunately, I didn't save the link. I was looking for something else at the time.
If you happen to find that link again I would be very interested to give it a look.
As I wrote in an earlier post, I don't think it's too late to relocate our transit hub in Salt Lake to the historic depots. It would be pretty expensive to completely replace our two downtown stations with new platforms at the two historic depots, but it could be done and it would almost certainly be a great benefit to our city.

(My plan also requires the Ogden Union Depot to be put back into service as well, for both FrontRunner and Amtrak, due to how trains would be routed through Salt Lake City. For the approximate cost of Denver rebuilding their historic depot, we would get 3 historic depots put back into service. Link to Google Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SXcydSa60h5BYcULl6QyFejv8TU&usp=sharing)





...or, we could forget ripping out our current Salt Lake Central Station and North Temple Viaduct Stations and just, you know, make them better. If Salt Lake Central Station can ever be completed - replacing the miserable Amtrak double-wide trailer with a nice modern depot building for passengers of all modes - I think it would go a long way towards improving the transit experience in that area. Add in a LRT line on 400 South to complete a loop so that there is a free downtown circulator route, then thrown in a streetcar line or two converging on the depot, and suddenly the place isn't so far away as it seems now. As for the Gateway, what if it expanded northward to have better and more inviting access to the North Temple station? currently between North Temple and 50N street there is nothing but a parking lot fronted with the uninviting backside of the gateway stores. Why not extend the pedestrian experience through that area and have it end at the FrontRunner station?

I'm still totally on board with the reuse of the old depots. That is the ideal (or my version of it, anyway). But since we can't always get the ideal, and no one seems willing to spend the hundreds of millions of $$$ it will take to replace two existing commuter rail stations with two other commuter rail stations one block farther east, it is worth looking at what can be done with what we have. You know, spend 25% of the larger project's costs to get 80% of the larger project's benefits. Is that heresy?

Modern train stations can be just as good as old ones. Just look at Anaheim:

Often, the newer stations are even better than old ones, because they are tailor-made to the traffic patterns of a more modern city. Like the UP depot was good and all, but it wasn't built for commuter trains. The process of transferring between commuter rail and LRT at Salt Lake Central is the simplest it could ever be. My trench-and-historic-depots idea can't compete with that. And don't even mention transferring to local and intercity buses to the historic depot plan - it completely ignores that problem.

I don't know. I'm torn. I think I'll be happy either way, just so long as it goes one way or another. Complete our new "Central" station and send more LRT there, and better integrate both stations into the urban fabric of SLC. Or completely remove the currents stations and use the historic ones. One or the other. This current arrangement of transit platforms (not really stations) hidden away on the fringes without basic travel amenities needs to be addressed soon.

Ogden, however, has no excuses. That station totally needs to be reconfigured to accommodate FrontRunner and Amtrak. Everything from my map/plan concerning Ogden still applies.

Last edited by Hatman; Aug 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Clarity
     
     
  #7083  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:58 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


Very good points indeed. I think Central Station will eventually get all those things that you mentioned, and I would hope that with the development of Hardware Village that Gateway will re-orient itself to do just as you said, and interact more completely with Hardware Station and ultimately Front Runner N. Temple.
     
     
  #7084  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:39 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Marvland, the only project that you mentioned that I think will move forward in the near future is the Regent Street Hotel. I think 151 will happen but not until 2017 sometime. I have no faith whatsoever in the CCH or the Air Center/Void Center gaining any traction this year or next year. These are large, complex projects that have not proven that they have any substantial funding behind them. I realize that there are tax incentives for the CCH but that's only a drop in the bucket when compared to the actual total cost for the facility.
Is the Regent Hotel that much of a certainty? It seems a bit like the type of project that doesn't happen ...151 on the other hand seems very likely. Though I was disappointed it's 0% leased, considering 111 is nearly leased out. I feel like the office building market in SLC is prime for a boom. CCH will definitely drag out ...and the Air Urban Center, no one ever had faith in that.
     
     
  #7085  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 6:48 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
If you happen to find that link again I would be very interested to give it a look.
As I wrote in an earlier post, I don't think it's too late to relocate our transit hub in Salt Lake to the historic depots. It would be pretty expensive to completely replace our two downtown stations with new platforms at the two historic depots, but it could be done and it would almost certainly be a great benefit to our city.
...
I just went back to Google's Newspaper archive and started digging around. I didn't find the original article I referenced, but I just found a Deseret News editorial talking about the city using the UP depot as the transit hub.

At the end it says, "To their credit, city planners have recommended keeping 500 West free of utilities. That's so the city one day can dig a subway that uses the depot."

Google Newspapers
     
     
  #7086  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:02 PM
SL,UT's Avatar
SL,UT SL,UT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westshire, WVC
Posts: 136
Speaking of solar power, I find it funny that RMP has advertisements touting how they save their customers money every month by switching to LED bulbs, remembering to switch off light switches, band-aide remedies at best, when the best way to conserve energy is to use the largest source of energy in our solar system. I think more people should be investing in solar power here in Utah. I am quite sure that the initial investment would be huge, but people need to think more long term. Utah is one of the best states for solar power in the entire nation! There is a very real possibility that we could end our dependance on our dirty coal fire power plants, however, with our coal-driven conservative legislators, RMP, and coal lobbying groups, it seems like a liberal pipe dream

And what really grinds my gears is when people say "Clean Coal". THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CLEAN COAL!!!!!
     
     
  #7087  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:27 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I just went back to Google's Newspaper archive and started digging around. I didn't find the original article I referenced, but I just found a Deseret News editorial talking about the city using the UP depot as the transit hub.

At the end it says, "To their credit, city planners have recommended keeping 500 West free of utilities. That's so the city one day can dig a subway that uses the depot."

Google Newspapers
Amazing find, Stenar!

If this recommendation was followed, perhaps the idea of a trench (or cover the trench with a rooftop park, and you get a 'subway') isn't so far-fetched after all.
     
     
  #7088  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:39 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
Speaking of solar power, I find it funny that RMP has advertisements touting how they save their customers money every month by switching to LED bulbs, remembering to switch off light switches, band-aide remedies at best, when the best way to conserve energy is to use the largest source of energy in our solar system. I think more people should be investing in solar power here in Utah. I am quite sure that the initial investment would be huge, but people need to think more long term. Utah is one of the best states for solar power in the entire nation! There is a very real possibility that we could end our dependance on our dirty coal fire power plants, however, with our coal-driven conservative legislators, RMP, and coal lobbying groups, it seems like a liberal pipe dream

And what really grinds my gears is when people say "Clean Coal". THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CLEAN COAL!!!!!
Fear not, my fauxy friend. Legislators, more than being coal-driven, are economically driven - and that is a fight that solar (plus storage) will win:

Once a strong enough plurality of people see this, all kinds of things - such as stronger environmental regulations and carbon taxes - will be enacted to hasten the death of the combustion economy.

Source:http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-31/when-will-rooftop-solar-be-cheaper-than-the-grid

Last edited by Hatman; Aug 3, 2016 at 7:40 PM. Reason: Citation
     
     
  #7089  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 7:42 PM
SL,UT's Avatar
SL,UT SL,UT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westshire, WVC
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Fear not, my fauxy friend.
Oh stop it, you are making me blush....
     
     
  #7090  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:32 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
Speaking of solar power, I find it funny that RMP has advertisements touting how they save their customers money every month by switching to LED bulbs, remembering to switch off light switches, band-aide remedies at best, when the best way to conserve energy is to use the largest source of energy in our solar system. I think more people should be investing in solar power here in Utah. I am quite sure that the initial investment would be huge, but people need to think more long term. Utah is one of the best states for solar power in the entire nation! There is a very real possibility that we could end our dependance on our dirty coal fire power plants, however, with our coal-driven conservative legislators, RMP, and coal lobbying groups, it seems like a liberal pipe dream

And what really grinds my gears is when people say "Clean Coal". THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CLEAN COAL!!!!!

There is good reason to be hopeful for the long term success of solar. The technology is always getting better at making power and cheaper to manufacture. You also have big leaps happening in power storage. Tesla is going to combine with Solar City because the whole market is having struggles at the moment and because of the synergy that will come from both the electric cars and the power storage aspects of the solar installations being produced in their new Gigafactory. The giga factory is supposed to lower the cost of lithium ion batteries by 30% which means they can eventually slash then price of their power wall storage systems by 30%.

You also have new financial instruments to pay for this stuff. I'm sure most of us understand that leading up to the crash of 2008 that banks were selling and buying and betting on 30 year mortgage bonds. Well, you can do that for people's solar panel systems on their roofs with their payment plans in a different way but a similar concept. This has accelerated people's options for financing these installations and has made it less costly to invest in as the property owner.

Finally, you have utility companies who are trying to pass laws that make solar less competitive (penalties to the cost savings of those who install panels). Utilities haven't quite caught the vision that they could become investment partners with people wanting to install their own panels.

At the end of the day, once personal home energy storage becomes a real prospect, people will truly be able to become part time grid users. Personal energy storage will change everything. In Utah where people are told to store at least 72 hours worth of food and water by the LDS Church, you better bet your 🞵🞵🞵 that same kind of self reliant preference will translate into solar and personal energy storage.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Aug 3, 2016 at 9:02 PM.
     
     
  #7091  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 9:49 PM
nushiof nushiof is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 259
This doesn't sound too promising re CCH.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/breaking/articles/29k-expected-at-outdoor-retailer-show-in-salt-lake-city

"Show organizers have announced the expo will stay in Utah through at least 2018. Salt Lake County officials are trying to find a company to build a large convention hotel to keep the show long term."

Does mean we found a developer (DDRM) but there is no hotel chain who wants to back it?
     
     
  #7092  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:16 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL,UT View Post
Speaking of solar power, I find it funny that RMP has advertisements touting how they save their customers money every month by switching to LED bulbs, remembering to switch off light switches, band-aide remedies at best, when the best way to conserve energy is to use the largest source of energy in our solar system....
I finally switched my entire house to LED about 9 months ago, and it was a HUGE savings on my electricity bill. My bill is now a third less than what it was before.


Last edited by Stenar; Aug 4, 2016 at 9:34 AM.
     
     
  #7093  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 11:19 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I finally switched my entire house to LED about 9 months ago, and it was a HUGE savings on my electricity bill. My bill is now ⅓ of what it was before.

Ive been slowly switching to philips hue LED bulbs... Ive heard that at least one major manufacture is going to stop making CFL bulbs... Im glad. CFL bulbs are horrible. I always refused to use them. LED is the way to go... I actually hope that the US government eventually puts a ban on CFL bulbs and fluorescent lighting all together. They are not healthy and are also hazardous when they break. They actually have LED replacements for fluorescent tubes now as well.
     
     
  #7094  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 11:32 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
This doesn't sound too promising re CCH.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/breaking/articles/29k-expected-at-outdoor-retailer-show-in-salt-lake-city

"Show organizers have announced the expo will stay in Utah through at least 2018. Salt Lake County officials are trying to find a company to build a large convention hotel to keep the show long term."

Does mean we found a developer (DDRM) but there is no hotel chain who wants to back it?
The ODRC keeps expanding. 4 years ago they set up 2 of the block long temporary buildings. Then they added a 3erd half a block building. This year and last year they put up 3 full length ones up... Then this year they have expanded out on to 200 W by adding a stage and festivities. At this point they are pretty much using up an extra full block of space besides the salt palace. I wonder if the extra space in the CCH will be able to acomidate this.... because eventually the LDS church is going to develop that land and they wont be able to use it any more... and lets hope that the CCH hotel is done before that happens.

I actually think that they should expand the salt palace in addition to the CCH and space. The RWP block would be a good place for an expansion of the Calvin M.S. Rampton and J.P. Morgan-Govoner Bangaters Hiway Deversion and Salt Palace Conventions, Meetings and Casual Event Center... Or what ever the hell the place is called.

Oh.. and lets bring back the Smiths Food Fair.

Anyone heard anything new on the Jazz Arena Referb?
     
     
  #7095  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 6:57 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Looks like it's gonna be a giant LED screen display



I hope it's like the Sales Force lobby in San Francisco

• Video Link



     
     
  #7096  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 8:25 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
^^^^^^
I noticed that as I drove past it.
I'm hoping it will be similar to the Sales Force lobby as well.

Last edited by ctobsl; Aug 4, 2016 at 8:40 AM.
     
     
  #7097  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 8:09 PM
ThePusherMan's Avatar
ThePusherMan ThePusherMan is offline
One Thing At A Time
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 412
Maybe I am alone here but I think that waterfall animation is super tacky. I hope that we do something better.
     
     
  #7098  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 9:35 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Maybe I am alone here but I think that waterfall animation is super tacky. I hope that we do something better.
It's a screensaver, boo; they don't ever keep the same thing running very long.
     
     
  #7099  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:40 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
It's a screensaver, boo; they don't ever keep the same thing running very long.
Yeah it changes, here is what they were testing tonight as I drove past it.



     
     
  #7100  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:26 PM
nushiof nushiof is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 259
http://www.utahbusiness.com/outdoor-reta...e-right-spot-for-its-biggest-trade-show/

Interesting read on Outdoor Retailers trade show's relationship with SLC and a few small nuggets on the CCH.

"Lowery says the future convention hotel will benefit Salt Lake City overall, and that Outdoor Retailer is interested in what it can provide the show. “It provides us the opportunity to grow our attendee base, and for the business of the city it’s going to be an amazing addition. We’re definitely looking forward to it.”

McAdams says the county is currently in the middle of negotiations to select a developer for the hotel. He believes a convention hotel is important to not only accommodate growth of OR, but also for other conventions. “Even without Outdoor Retailer, that hotel would be needed,” he says.

Beck agrees, adding that while any new hotel inventory is going to help, another 850 hotel rooms in a convention hotel won’t make Salt Lake City work as the destination for OR for the next 30 years. “I don’t want to overstate the realities of the hotel,” he says. “I’ll be brutally honest—it’s not going to help much with OR, but it is going to help with other shows we lose.”"
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.