Man o man it is amazing how many high-quality projects are finishing up or U/C. I love how much impact on the look and feel of our core they are having... we truly are growing up.
Been waiting for this since I was a kid. Tears of joy flow from my eye. I've got to get up in Edmonton again soon! Probably gonna make it happen in 2018.
__________________
"Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy
Heard some rumors of an over seas consortium putting together a package for a downtown hotel. And not Nova.
Well, an overseas investment group (Malaysian perhaps?) did develop the Trump hotel/condo in Vancouver...
You never know what an overseas group can get themselves into.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt
HSBC makes sense as it's a very inefficient building for commercial purposes
In what sense?
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Long & narrow awkward floor plates primarily. Not really suitable for the types of offices that businesses want nowadays
They could try to keep th building occupied with class B tenants but there is going to be such a ridiculous amount of space available in better buildings that they might have a hard time with that
Long & narrow awkward floor plates primarily. Not really suitable for the types of offices that businesses want nowadays
They could try to keep th building occupied with class B tenants but there is going to be such a ridiculous amount of space available in better buildings that they might have a hard time with that
You're right, the floor plates are small and narrow which makes it harder to accommodate today's typical office layout.
^if you are looking for full floors... but it would be a good potential fit for small and mid-sized firms, it just needs updating. That said, I would love another hotel in the core.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish
^if you are looking for full floors... but it would be a good potential fit for small and mid-sized firms, it just needs updating. That said, I would love another hotel in the core.
The building as had significant BB updates over the past ten years
It's not even very good for smaller tenants, the way it needs to be demised out to accommodate access to washrooms and elevators
^^They are still working away, only about 1/5th-1/10th left to do.
^certainly, but still an excellent location and perfectly usable for many many firms needs.
That said, we would be happy to discuss Reimagining it
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish
I really want Strathearn to go ahead, super important project.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish
That proposed tower on 99ave/bellamy where Urban Eden was previously
115st/top of bank Allard tower
102 Street Centre
DC2 on 104st/98ave, 'Omega 2' site... so very ripe for something
Blue Cross Tower on that sad surface lot
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish
Interesting experiment with Pub 1905 on Jasper, where they have the entire sidewalk as a "patio" and have built a wood walking path around it in the parking lane. In general, I like it since it gives me a full sidewalk, unlike the Cask and Barrel (which is a gong show to walk some times). But I worry about how well it will weather and wonder if it will be removed during winter.
^ They've been doing those on Whyte for a couple of years now, too. Yes, they are tempoary for the summer and removed in winter. Weathering is probably not relevant as they are not built to be permanent fixtures.
They've been doing those seasonal patios like that in small towns in BC for 20 years now. Good to see Edmonton finally getting with the times, in this respect anyways
124st, 118ave, 109st, more Jasper please and thank you.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish