HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6441  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:42 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Talking Key word... Iconic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Just got this email regarding the CCH public hearing. I won't be able to attend, but I would encourage all of you to go and be heard (as long you as advocate for a new tallest and iconic CCH). If you prefer a bland stucco wall of 20 stories, please stay home. You can also submit comments via email below (I will do that). I imaging some 99 West residents may appear and argue for a shorter CCH, so we need to show up en masse.

"Tomorrow evening the SLC council will open a public hearing on the proposed changes to the D-4 Zoning District. The proposed changes will allow buildings taller than 120 feet in a portion of the D-4 Zoning District. The specific area is bounded by South Temple, West Temple, 200 South, and 200 West, the location of most of the Salt Palace Convention Center. The change will enable the developer of a convention center hotel in this area. A final location or design for the hotel has not been determined. That process is being led by SL County...."

"If you would like to participate in the public hearing, please complete a comment card and return it to a City Council staff member. When your name is called, you will have two minutes to share your comments on the zoning change... if you are unable to attend, you may submit written comments to [email protected]"

Remember, key word is Iconic for this building! Encourage them to create zoning that encourages Iconic buildings! Let's see if the wife wants to spend some aniversary night at the meeting.
     
     
  #6442  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:00 AM
Gastroc's Avatar
Gastroc Gastroc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 65
http://www.sltrib.com/news/3924048-155/salt-lake-city-to-consider-scrapping

Article on CCH Salt Lake County meeting tomorrow
     
     
  #6443  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:29 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
Aaaaand... Once again I'm reminded how incredibly lame commenters are on sltrib.com.
     
     
  #6444  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:53 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
I'm writing an email to the Council right now and everyone else should do the same so there is some good support for the height increase!
     
     
  #6445  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:06 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
I had a great idea for the 500 south improvements. We could move all of the homeless shelters to 500 south so that all the bums are hanging out on the street. We could put up billboards along 500s that say "Leaving Utah? Take a friend" then we could have a promotion that if you take a bum out of Utah you get free gas at the border.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #6446  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:23 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
(email sent)
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #6447  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:33 PM
ryerop ryerop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Aaaaand... Once again I'm reminded how incredibly lame commenters are on sltrib.com.
I just posted an article in the Sugarhouse thread from the Tribune and made the same mistake of reading the comment section, if the inversion were currently here I would say the comments are the result of lack of oxygen, but since it is currently pretty decent air I don't get some of the logic, or lack there of that commenters use.
     
     
  #6448  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:58 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
A small blib about the State Street Project.

Challenges delay affordable housing project in downtown SLC

http://fox13now.com/2016/05/23/challenges-delay-affordable-housing-project-in-downtown-slc/
     
     
  #6449  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:23 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I think the biggest issue was that the LaPorte Group got in a bit over their head on the project. I realize they have done many projects, but the majority of them have been rehab projects.

I had initially put in on the RFP (partnering with a developer from Cleveland) and was one of the three finalists selected, if full disclosure however there were only three submissions. I realized that with the experienced partner over 1,700 miles away that it would be much to big of a project to enter the proposal phase, for my first project, and I reluctantly bowed out. I still like the concept of the project and I am confident it will get back on track really soon.

The 20% affordable threshold one key that I like about how they are trying to revive the project. It's no surprise to anyone because I continue to preach it, but I think the best affordable housing is mixed in with market rate, even if that percentage is up to 50% affordable, as long as there are affordable benchmarks, a percentage that fall within the 80%, 60%, 40% and even less of the AMI.
     
     
  #6450  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:37 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
A small blib about the State Street Project.

Challenges delay affordable housing project in downtown SLC

http://fox13now.com/2016/05/23/challenges-delay-affordable-housing-project-in-downtown-slc/
We could see the height of this project increase to accommodate more units to make the project more financially feasible for the new developer.
     
     
  #6451  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 9:34 PM
nushiof nushiof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
I'm writing an email to the Council right now and everyone else should do the same so there is some good support for the height increase!
I sent my email earlier today. If anyone attends the hearing tonight, please post a recap for the group. I'd be interested to hear what was discussed re CCH.
     
     
  #6452  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:08 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
We could see the height of this project increase to accommodate more units to make the project more financially feasible for the new developer.
Is the current structure, foundations and steel already in place, designed to accommodate a taller structure? I don't see why they would have built it to handle a larger load than was planned. If they did, than that would be part of the funding and cost problems they ran into.

While I'm no structural engineer, I would assume that building a foundation that could accommodate 2 or 4 more stories to a 10 story building, increasing the potential load by 20 - 40% would be a really bad plan for the developer, especially on a project that already had a tight financial window. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on adding 20-40 percent more floors adding 20-40% greater costs.

Last edited by Future Mayor; May 24, 2016 at 10:30 PM.
     
     
  #6453  
Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:05 PM
urban.cyclist urban.cyclist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Is the current structure, foundations and steel already in place, designed to accommodate a taller structure? I don't see why they would have built it to handle a larger load than was planned. If they did, than that would be part of the funding and cost problems they ran into.

While I'm no structural engineer, I would assume that building a foundation that could accommodate 2 or 4 more stories to a 10 story building, increasing the potential load by 20 - 40% would be a really bad plan for the developer, especially on a project that already had a tight financial window. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on adding 20-40 percent more floors adding 20-40% greater costs.
I've been told by someone at the city that it will all have to be ripped out. Apparently the structural engineer list his license over the project.
     
     
  #6454  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 12:51 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.cyclist View Post
I've been told by someone at the city that it will all have to be ripped out. Apparently the structural engineer list his license over the project.
I can confirm that. The structural engineer did lose his license. He also lost his whole business as well.

I would be that the structural issues with the project will continue to plague the building. I don't think that what has already been built can be salvaged.
     
     
  #6455  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:40 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,634
That whole site was such a waste. The buildings there weren't great by any stretch but infinitely better than the hole that'll dominate the site for the foreseeable future.
     
     
  #6456  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:42 AM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Soo...

Anything good to report from the city council meeting? Figured we would have some news on here about it.
     
     
  #6457  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:16 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Anything good to report from the city council meeting? Figured we would have some news on here about it.
Crickets.....As usual.....
     
     
  #6458  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:49 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Crickets.....As usual.....
I watched the city council meeting minutes online.

http://slcgov.iqm2.com/citizens/default.aspx

The majority of people who commented were against the "unlimited height" clause. They felt that the unlimited height limit was premature and way out of line. They feared that unlimited height really left it too wide open, and could result in a building that would be "too tall" for the area.

Also 2 or 3 of the city council members agreed that they were opposed against the unlimited height limit, without knowing what the final product will be. They didnt want to give unlimited height without knowing what the product would look like (size, width, etc). One council member favored the south site location over the north site.
     
     
  #6459  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 11:31 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,739
Okay, so what do these people consider as too tall for the area?

Also, regarding the State St. project. What sort of resume did that structural engineer have before the State St. project? What projects had he already completed?
     
     
  #6460  
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:21 PM
nushiof nushiof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 259
Man this height restriction talk is bumming me out. Now, this article says Mayor McAdams envisions a CCH of only 25-30 stories. I am underwhelmed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/24/salt-lake-county-wants-height-limit-scrapped-for-t/
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.