Rendering of the downtown DA Office Building as designed by MHTN Architects. Image courtesy Salt Lake County.
I'm still liking the DA office building, perhaps even more now. Looking at it's placement from the site plan Viperlord posted, it will make for a nice front on 500S. There's no stucco, but mostly stained glass, transparent glass,
and stone/precast stone. I for one like the multi-colored glass, particularly because it is a needed mix for that area. For me at least, I don't care if it seems retro. IMO, that's a good thing for
plot. L.A. has a lot of 50's/60's styles that are similar. Actually, if the new DA's office was a building from that era, it would in my opinion be one of the more attractive ones around, and
everyone would be screaming to restore it. Not just an attractive example in the Salt Lake CBD, but in L.A. In fact, have you guys noticed that the new Northwest Pipeline development has
buildings with the same application of the multi-colored motif? Maybe it's just another subjective opinion, but I think it's pretty damn groovy.
I also like the fact that the plots adj. to the DA's offices, awaiting future development will be nicely landscaped. Hopefully, those future landscaped lots will turn into towers. Though I have to admit, I look forward
to the day that a tower goes up on the Harmon's corner, I think the way they landscaped the corner as a placeholder is very attractive. I would like to see the city/state force the land bankers
to attractively landscape their often blighted land banked lots. This at the very least, until they're properly developed, or given a much more positive use.
I bristle every time I think of the demise of the Newhouse Hotel, and what could of been for that block, and impatiently await it's redevelopment. But I have to admit that the beautiful trees
and camouflaging berms are a big improvement over straight blacktop. At the very least, the same should be done for the sea of black top on the S. Temple lots.
Northwest Pipeline Project
.