HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5941  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 3:06 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Oh wow. It looks good and more fitting for the area. I thought the developer gave up on this, though. Apparently not. I really like what Garbett is trying to do with all of their developments.
     
     
  #5942  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 4:28 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Also this thing across the street on 500 East is looking pretty great. I'm looking forward to some more in depth discussion about this in the near future. 500 East is going to be quite different in the next few years.

     
     
  #5943  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 4:52 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Garbett Homes was never going to walk away from this project. It's typical MO for developers. You don't get what you want so you threaten to walk away. The tactic works in some cases, especially smaller cities that are really hurting for tax income but it generally does not work in SLC. Having said that, I like the Hardison project. I'm looking forward to seeing that long vacant corner come back to life.

I also like the look of the project on 500 East. I love that they are preserving and rehabilitating the existing building on South Temple into housing and constructing this building on what is currently a hideous parking garage. The Landmarks Commission tabled their decision on that project last night. I think it has lots of positive elements but the street engagement is pretty terrible.
     
     
  #5944  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 5:57 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
You talked about him specifically. Talked about his project and quoted him. You never even interviewed him in the first place so I don't know how you would misattribute a quote to him. If what you are saying is true you would have corrected the name and left the quotes but you didn't. You made up quotes. Own up to it.
Please stop feigning outrage, it's pathetic and childish.
     
     
  #5945  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:40 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Please stop feigning outrage, it's pathetic and childish.
     
     
  #5946  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:53 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
^^^^^^^^
It has stopped, please don't encourage it by referencing it again.

I like how the Hardison (450 East South Temple) project looks similar to the 500 East project.

Anthony

450 East South Temple


500 East


Photos Originally Posted by: linguisize
     
     
  #5947  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 8:06 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
^^^^^^^^
It has stopped, please don't encourage it by referencing it again.

I like how the Hardison (450 East South Temple) project looks similar to the 500 East project.

Anthony

450 East South Temple


500 East


Photos Originally Posted by: linguisize
I was thinking the same thing. And, I believe they are both designed by the same firm...CRSA. They look nice, but good point about the similarity.
     
     
  #5948  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 8:12 PM
linguisize's Avatar
linguisize linguisize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
^^^^^^^^
It has stopped, please don't encourage it by referencing it again.

I like how the Hardison (450 East South Temple) project looks similar to the 500 East project.
Truly. A lot of red/brown brick already in that neighborhood, it should all go well together.

I am confused about the 500 east building though.. there really is no front door. No street engagement at all. It looks like it's going to be a giant wall facing the street with a garage entrance. That whole block will be a bunch of buildings with their backs turned to the street. It's amazing how much a single large door would do there...

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/HLC/2016/00952.pdf

The report aisies posted had some solid examples of what's good.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/HLC/2016/00166(6).pdf
     
     
  #5949  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:00 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
South temple and 450e

I really like the 3 different brick and block colors on the south temple job. It really adds to the look for minimal $$$. The ground floor needs to be a touch taller but now I'm just nitpicking it. I've always like brick and glass midrises, makes me think of pizza for some reason.

Good work
     
     
  #5950  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 11:58 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #5951  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 1:59 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
I like it. Good choice of materials and complimentary elements from S. Temple and 500 E. street side views. I also like the live work design arrangement at street level on S. Temple.
     
     
  #5952  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 6:04 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I like it. Good choice of materials and complimentary elements from S. Temple and 500 E. street side views. I also like the live work design arrangement at street level on S. Temple.
The project across the street will have ground floor live/work units as well
     
     
  #5953  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 3:50 PM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
     
     
  #5954  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 4:06 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguisize View Post
The approved update on the Hardison(450 East South Temple) looks quite different than before.


This is definitely an improvement! I'm really hoping the stop stucco movement is catching fire in Salt Lake City. Between this and the Trolley Square Project being a forum to bash stucco, it is my hope that we've crossed into less stuccoed era.

Also, in unrelated news, the pannels for the crown on 111 are going up.



The glass is fairly clear with thin frosted horizontal stripes.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Apr 9, 2016 at 6:31 PM.
     
     
  #5955  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 10:54 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
What a unique job

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
This is definitely an improvement! I'm really hoping the stop stucco movement is catching fire in Salt Lake City. Between this and the Trolley Square Project being a forum to bash stucco, it is my hope that we've crossed into less stuccoed era.

Also, in unrelated news, the pannels for the crown on 111 are going up.



The glass is fairly clear with thin frosted horizontal stripes.

Look at that guy reaching out for the huge section of glass. What a cool place to work! Nice photo too.
     
     
  #5956  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 10:55 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Side note

If they do the lighting right, this could look really great at night.
     
     
  #5957  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 12:33 AM
Gastroc's Avatar
Gastroc Gastroc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 65
I really wish the Hardison Project was twice as tall. As mentioned, it is 100 units less... Is there any reason why that is? and am I the only person who feels it should be about twice as tall?
     
     
  #5958  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 1:16 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
I really wish the Hardison Project was twice as tall. As mentioned, it is 100 units less... Is there any reason why that is? and am I the only person who feels it should be about twice as tall?
I feel the same way, it should be twice as tall.
By not including the 100 units they omitted studio and affordable housing from the project.

"With the loss of 100 units and the reduction in size of the project, the developers withdrew plans to include affordable housing units. The project will also no longer include studio apartments. "
http://www.buildingsaltlake.com/hlc-approves-south-temple-project/

Last edited by ctobsl; Apr 10, 2016 at 2:32 AM.
     
     
  #5959  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 4:44 AM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
I feel the same way, it should be twice as tall.
By not including the 100 units they omitted studio and affordable housing from the project.

"With the loss of 100 units and the reduction in size of the project, the developers withdrew plans to include affordable housing units. The project will also no longer include studio apartments. "
http://www.buildingsaltlake.com/hlc-approves-south-temple-project/
Development is all about unit counts. Less units, less return and less money at the table, hence no subsidized housing. Also it can't go much higher, being a "4 over 1" construction. Four stories of fire treated wood on top of post tensioned concrete decking. It's all the rage nowadays. Go taller and you're into steel construction, which could pencil as condo construction, but not rental. Not until we see $2.50-$3psf in rent.
     
     
  #5960  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 5:10 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Development is all about unit counts. Less units, less return and less money at the table, hence no subsidized housing. Also it can't go much higher, being a "4 over 1" construction. Four stories of fire treated wood on top of post tensioned concrete decking. It's all the rage nowadays. Go taller and you're into steel construction, which could pencil as condo construction, but not rental. Not until we see $2.50-$3psf in rent.
That would be $750-$900 for a 300 sf studio!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.