Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus
Completely unrealistic unless public transit sees a huge increase in funding in Regina. We'd need many more routes, express routes, and increased buses on those routes for it to work. I can drive from Rochdale to S. Albert in 15-20 minutes, so why would I take the bus on a 50-60 minute trip with a transfer? Cut it to the same time and I'll start taking it.
|
Chicken or egg situation & it takes political guts to invest in transit in Regina. Especially because to truly get an effective transit system in place, we'd need to dedicate a lot more lanes to buses (at the expense of cars). Allowing buses to move quickly & efficiently is critical - if they're stuck in the same gridlock (which is rare in Regina), why wouldn't an average person drive?
And there needs to be a major cultural shift. 2-3 cars/unit in one of the Harbour Landing developments was mentioned in a subsequent post - folks living in apartments, with 2-3 cars? Wow. Says a lot about the car culture here.
Another shift that needs to occur is the bus-stigma. As I've noted before, in many cities there is zero stigma associated with riding transit (Ottawa, for example). In Regina, riding the bus absolutely has a negative stigma associated with it.
Investments should continue in transit - but anyone who thinks there will be a "bus renaissance" in Regina in the next 15 years is delusional. Simply decreasing the stigma, and improving routes would be a win, from my perspective. But from a political capital perspective, I'm not sure this would be enough for most Councillors or the Mayor
(it certainly hasn't been enough Mayors/Councillors past).