HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4281  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 8:58 PM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Because it absorbs noise better than hard surfaces plus it's a bit more of a homey feel - somehow sitting in a lounge chair on tile just isn't as relaxing as carpet.
Personally, I don't want my airport to feel homey. I want my airport to be a future-forward, contemporary piece of architecture that feels like an energetic crossroad of the world. I don't want it to feel like a Keg.
     
     
  #4282  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:33 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Personally, I don't want my airport to feel homey. I want my airport to be a future-forward, contemporary piece of architecture that feels like an energetic crossroad of the world. I don't want it to feel like a Keg.
Counterpoint: Portland and its incredibly popular carpet pattern. You can blame the hispters for making that a thing.
     
     
  #4283  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:39 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 13,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Personally, I don't want my airport to feel homey. I want my airport to be a future-forward, contemporary piece of architecture that feels like an energetic crossroad of the world. I don't want it to feel like a Keg.
How about like a walk in the forest. YVR if you are coming off an international or US flight you get to walk through among trees, a stream, admire and feed the fish. Interspersed with the odd native art work.
     
     
  #4284  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:44 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
How about like a walk in the forest. YVR if you are coming off an international or US flight you get to walk through among trees, a stream, admire and feed the fish. Interspersed with the odd native art work.
So for YYC we need arriving passengers to walk through tall stalks of golden wheat, Gladiator style.
     
     
  #4285  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:32 PM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Counterpoint: Portland and its incredibly popular carpet pattern. You can blame the hispters for making that a thing.
Ha, that whole city is stuck in the past (as the song says!)...of course they like the old carpet. Heavily-used carpet in general just comes across as dirty and depressing to me. When I step into an airport, I want to step into a shiny happy future, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
How about like a walk in the forest. YVR if you are coming off an international or US flight you get to walk through among trees, a stream, admire and feed the fish. Interspersed with the odd native art work.
It can be whatever walk you like, as long as its not on carpet.

I'm not saying it has to be Carrara marble tiles...but it shouldn't be a walk through a hallway at the Holiday Inn.
     
     
  #4286  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:44 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
When I step into an airport, I want to step into a shiny happy future, man!
You mean like this? No carpet in the International Terminal (with the exception of the new White Hatter's Lounge )



Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
It can be whatever walk you like, as long as its not on carpet.
There is a place for carpet, eg. in holdroom seating areas, Lounges, etc. where it provides some warmth and sound absorption. But I do agree it should be maintained and kept clean, which can be an expensive and time consuming task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Based on yyc_engineer's skill set I'm guessing this is something to do with the new terminal.
No, nothing to do with IFP. I can't say much more but it's something big
     
     
  #4287  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:49 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_engineer View Post
No, nothing to do with IFP. I can't say much more but it's something big
Duuuuuuude, you're killing me.
     
     
  #4288  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:51 PM
Riise's Avatar
Riise Riise is offline
City Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary | London
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So for YYC we need arriving passengers to walk through tall stalks of golden wheat, Gladiator style.
Make this happen. And I so have the song from Gladiator stuck in my head now.
     
     
  #4289  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:56 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So for YYC we need arriving passengers to walk through tall stalks of golden wheat, Gladiator style.
Also needed is some cowboy stuff (mechanical bull, roping stations etc.) and a simulated drilling rig so you can practice roughnecking to kill time.
     
     
  #4290  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:58 PM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
yyc_engineer, yes, glad to see the use of stone in those sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So for YYC we need arriving passengers to walk through tall stalks of golden wheat, Gladiator style.
In Calgary, it would be more like walk through a field of white-hatted octogenarians.
     
     
  #4291  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:02 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So for YYC we need arriving passengers to walk through tall stalks of golden wheat, Gladiator style.
We got you covered.


http://i.imgur.com/U27dkMG.jpg
     
     
  #4292  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:10 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Only wheat? I think a little — could go a long way, too....


I'll show myself out.
     
     
  #4293  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:16 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Duuuuuuude, you're killing me.
The HU flights are loaded into GDS computer systems (today's development).

Also as discussed on the Facebook YYC spotters pages, HU is advertising for CSRs and account managers.

Its looking very good that HU YYC-PEK is a go.

Now if I was a marketing guy looking to get awesome press coverage; I would get the IFP construction crew to clean up the checkin hall, polish the floor, and get a few checkin counters done up in HU colors for the announcement launch.
     
     
  #4294  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 12:39 AM
hoboman27 hoboman27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 195
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/102373473?trk=jobs_biz_pub

someone here should apply, any one of you would have more aviation knowledge than a regular sales person. Mandarin not required!
     
     
  #4295  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 1:27 AM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
I saw that today too Cage, definitely trending the right direction. I like your idea of a way to launch it too.
     
     
  #4296  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:33 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
I don't understand this periscope thing, but if anyone wants to watch the announcement live it's happening in just under 2 hours! #sopumped

‏@FlyYYC
Good morning #YYC! We're making a big announcement this morning. Tune into our #Periscope broadcast at 10:30 a.m. to catch it live.
     
     
  #4297  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 3:34 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
     
     
  #4298  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:38 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Contôleur aérien YYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Really, really north Leduc
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Hopefully, the flight's still around when the IFP opens.
That said, and with a little more of a serious tone to my comment, I'm hoping the IFP (already a year late from the perhaps overly optimistic original opening date) is NOT delayed further.

I've said it before (unashamedly), but when the IFP opens, the first ex-YEG non-domestic flight I book will go YEG-YYC-—, just to see the place. The AvGeek in me is really looking forward to it.
     
     
  #4299  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:11 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Cats outta the bag, it's the Hainan announcement
Flight is operated 3X weekly to start. Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday on 787 Dreamliner.



Ground time at YYC overlaps with both KLM and Edelweiss. Will make for a very diverse (and busy) summer of ops for concourse A! (the final summer of International ops until the new Terminal opens)
     
     
  #4300  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:19 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Yes and increasing to 4x weekly come October.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.