Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy
I agree Northern Ontario is beautiful but why do you think people don't move there.
There are certainly job opportunities and professional vacancies that they can't find people to fill. I have my own views but I'm first curious as to why you think people don't move to Northern Ontario?
|
I'm sure there are many reasons why (and since I've never been through there I can't really give many); but I wonder if one reason might be a lack of national focus.
If it was its own province with say Thunder Bay as its Capital, then NOON would get mentioned more often; it would become its own entity in the National consciousness. People would be learning of it as a Province in school and learning specifically what it has to offer and so forth. Plus any provincial division map of Canada would now be showing it by itself, with a Star over Thunder Bay. As a province it becomes a distinct entity in the National subconscious.
As it is right now, it is absolutely dwarfed by Southern Ontario/Toronto/Golden Horseshoe/Ottawa and everything around them. It never gets any focus since all eyes are to the south. When people think of moving to Ontario, they usually think of moving to those Urban centres. Hell, I suspect a lot of people have no real concept of just how big NOON is; they envision it as just a chunk of land between Toronto and Manitoba that you get through quick.
So basically, my own feel is that people don't think to move up there, because it isn't really seen as a destination; people don't see it separate from the Toronto Megalopolis, and ultimately never consider it.