HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3881  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:56 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Delts, I may be mistaken, but those are two different projects. The top photo is the apartments going up across from Pioneer Park, and the bottom
rendering is the development going up on 200 East next to the new parking structure that Boyer built.

Either way, I don't have pictures for you, but both projects are up to their third floors.

Yes, I realize they're two different projects. I'll make that a little clearer in my text. I was just wanting to see a pic of each ones progress. Good to hear their both up to their third floors.


What's the progress on this project,(Liberty Crest)since EP's post below, this past May? A pic anyone? Also, the Pioneer Park Project, which replaced the originally proposed Metro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
They are digging the hole right across from pioneer park. For the residential units
Also Liberty Crest, This is one of my favorite upcoming residential lately. Haven't had a pic update in a few months that I remember. Are the bones clearly visible above street now?


Update, Thanks Tony for the Liberty Crest update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
I think this may be it?


UtahProjects.info

Last edited by delts145; Oct 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM.
     
     
  #3882  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:48 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
While I like to hear that there is a developer interested in the RWP site, I do wonder that if it were to occur if that severely limits future expo space (large hall) expansion in the Salt Palace. That's always been a debate in my mind anyway, even while always preferring the RWP site for the CCH. Expansion to that block could potentially eliminate all SLC has remaining of Japan Town. Development of RWP not for SP space pretty much ends any major addition of expo square footage and the SP is pretty much as large as it's going to get. Remember, I am talking about contiguous expo space, not meeting rooms.

The direction of the bisecting cross street has me thinking. The E/W makes sense for a couple of reason, including the aforementioned connection to the Paper Box redevelopment and a connection to Gateway. This would be primarily a pedestrian connection as I don't see the city putting in an intersection there. The other reason it makes sense is that the land currently owned by Royal Wood Associates spans the entire block from east to west.

The difficultly with the E/W street is that access to the east end could be limited or completely blocked for many weeks of the year, during the largest conventions that use that section of 200 W as the staging and parking area for all the trailers. If the SP could arrange for a different parking location for the trailers, only requiring that street to be closed a few days prior to and after the convention then that could more easily work.

The issue with a N/S bisecting street is that actually split the block in nearly equal halves would be difficult as a few of the parcels along 100 S are not currently owned by RW association, one parcel is owned by Intermountain Buddhist Church and the other by Japanese Church of Christ.

I think in my mind the ideal set up would be to do the E/W, eliminating the trailer parking on 200 W, as well as a N/S, but maybe one that goes north from 200 S (midblock point) once it meets up with the E/W street it viers slightly NW and meetings 100 S a bit closer to 300 W.



However on the flip side, the E/W
     
     
  #3883  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 3:05 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
As for a preferred location, of the two county owned sites, I don't have major issues with either one. I do agree with the issue of boxing in of Abravenel Hall plaza with a sharp corner, I would hope that there would be something similar in site lines as is there now, something on the angle. Which could make the hotel there taller. I do agree that maybe an agreement could be worked out with PRI to use the same parking access in W Temple, I like that idea.

I also agree with the thoughts on the South site, spurring more life on 200 S and I actually think it is much more centrally located to more downtown attractions, including restaurants, bars and entertainment.

I completely agree with DM, on the Temple Square Trax stop, the walk to the south end of the SP isn't that far, due to the fact that there is no street to interrupt the walk. It's not going to be a horrible walk, they are greeted by new Abravanel Plaza, MOCA has a bit of engagement and interaction with banners and displays of current and upcoming exhibits. They then are engaged by the Main entrance to the SP promoting their convention. As soo as they pass the entrance the hotel is just a few steps away. It's not always about the actual distance someone has to walk, but the visual engagement that occurs on that walk. Not to mention they walked much further than that from their airport gate to the Trax stop anyway.

I think the streetcar on 200 S will play a different roll, rather than getting people to their hotel from the airport which I'm sure some will do. I think the main benefit of the streetcar in relation to the south site is that it will give those staying at the CCH convenient access to so many places around the city, and getting around town once they are at the hotel.
     
     
  #3884  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 3:36 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Apparently it's already been 10 years since the Delta Center changed names to Energy Solutions Arena (ESA), and Energy Solutions 10 year contract is up.

The new name of the Arena will be Vivint Smarthome Arena. (VSA?)

http://fox13now.com/2015/10/26/energysolutions-arena-to-now-be-called-vivint-smart-home-arena/

Image from twitter

It's to bad Vivint is already building a building in ThanksSprawling Point. Maybe they would have followed Energy Solutions lead and moved a significant portion of their headquarters to downtown and put their name on a building.
     
     
  #3885  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:52 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Apparently it's already been 10 years since the Delta Center changed names to Energy Solutions Arena (ESA), and Energy Solutions 10 year contract is up.

The new name of the Arena will be Vivint Smarthome Arena. (VSA?)

http://fox13now.com/2015/10/26/energysolutions-arena-to-now-be-called-vivint-smart-home-arena/

Image from twitter

It's to bad Vivint is already building a building in ThanksSprawling Point. Maybe they would have followed Energy Solutions lead and moved a significant portion of their headquarters to downtown and put their name on a building.
'

"Vivint Arena" wouldn't be too bad, certainly better than "Energy Solutions Arena", but I'll be damned if I'm ever going to call it "Vivint Smart Home Arena"
     
     
  #3886  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:55 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
'

"Vivint Arena" wouldn't be too bad, certainly better than "Energy Solutions Arena", but I'll be damned if I'm ever going to call it "Vivint Smart Home Arena"
No one's going to call it that, except for the TV announcers.
     
     
  #3887  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:05 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
No one's going to call it that, except for the TV announcers.
I agree, the 'SmartHome' part is dumb, Vivint Arena would have been just fine, but I guess we can just shorten it from ESA to VSA.
     
     
  #3888  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:14 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I agree, the 'SmartHome' part is dumb, Vivint Arena would have been just fine, but I guess we can just shorten it from ESA to VSA.
The name is all about gaining national exposure for Vivint. Naming it Vivint Arena wouldn't tell anyone across the country watching TV what Vivint is or does. Adding SmartHome tells people roughly what Vivint does. This name isn't for the local market.
     
     
  #3889  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:19 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The name is all about gaining national exposure for Vivint. Naming it Vivint Arena wouldn't tell anyone across the country watching TV what Vivint is or does. Adding SmartHome tells people roughly what Vivint does. This name isn't for the local market.
We're just saying we don't like it, but we understand why it's there.
     
     
  #3890  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:53 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
The airport line Trax station is just on the north side of the Salt Palace, and it's an uninterrupted, pretty short walk down to the south end of the CC. They don't even have to cross a street. It's really not an inconvenience at all for visitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I completely agree with DM, on the Temple Square Trax stop, the walk to the south end of the SP isn't that far, due to the fact that there is no street to interrupt the walk. It's not going to be a horrible walk, they are greeted by new Abravanel Plaza, MOCA has a bit of engagement and interaction with banners and displays of current and upcoming exhibits. They then are engaged by the Main entrance to the SP promoting their convention. As soo as they pass the entrance the hotel is just a few steps away. It's not always about the actual distance someone has to walk, but the visual engagement that occurs on that walk. Not to mention they walked much further than that from their airport gate to the Trax stop anyway.
All fair points. It wouldn't be a terrible walk, but it would be a walk, and just that point alone can taint first impressions. Rather than having TRAX door-to-door service, it would require an extra step (or to be punny, 1,200 feet worth of extra steps!) for arriving visitors. Add to that the 100 degree heat in the summer, the snow and cold in the winter, or the off-chance of precipitation, and what would be a happy 'I'm so glad I'm back in Salt Lake City!' becomes an 'ugh, back to this place again.'

It's a small issue, and I'll shut up about it right after this post is done, but I'm just trying to minimize complaints. People will complain about everything, sure, but the less reasons there are to complain about the better. And if we can build something that is better for the people who will actually use it, why make justifications to do it differently? In the end it's a standard cost-benefit decision. I just want to be clear on what the 'costs' are.
     
     
  #3891  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 6:34 PM
JMK JMK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 437
In 10 years it will be renamed as,
Brawndo it's got electrolytes what plants crave Arena
     
     
  #3892  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 6:35 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #3893  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 7:54 PM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
Greetings

Longtime lurker first time poster.

As my handle suggests I live in SLC's Liberty Wells district. I have previously lived in the Marmalade, Central City, Liberty Park, and People's Freeway districts. A few thoughts:

The CCH needs to be 500 feet. Our Skyline is like a face without a nose, a house without a chimney. A new tallest would improve the aesthetics of our city.

I was hoping for new blood this election cycle but Biskuspi is a disappointment. Between the Reagan signs thing and her ranting about bicyclists and bicycle lanes during their debate on KSL I have decided to vote for Becker.

I would like to see a streetcar line from 9th and 9th through the Central 9th trax station and then continue west on Indiana Ave into Glendale.

People's freeway is a neglected mess but there is hope. The number one thing that needs to be addressed there are the junkie Motels. They are a nuisance that drive away development and leave a negative impression of SLC on anyone that passes them. They should not be tolerated. The RDA should aggressively try to redevelop those properties.
     
     
  #3894  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 7:59 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
^^^

Great points all around!

Welcome!
     
     
  #3895  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:03 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Apparently it's already been 10 years since the Delta Center changed names to Energy Solutions Arena (ESA), and Energy Solutions 10 year contract is up.

The new name of the Arena will be Vivint Smarthome Arena. (VSA?)

http://fox13now.com/2015/10/26/energysolutions-arena-to-now-be-called-vivint-smart-home-arena/

Image from twitter

This is great. Vivint has managed to transform into a great company. We've gone from advertising a nuclear waste storage company to a company that installs solar on people's roofs. That's a good sign!
     
     
  #3896  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:23 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
This is great. Vivint has managed to transform into a great company. We've gone from advertising a nuclear waste storage company to a company that installs solar on people's roofs. That's a good sign!
And looking at that photo makes me think Vivint should cover the roof of the arena with solar panels.
     
     
  #3897  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:27 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
'

"Vivint Arena" wouldn't be too bad, certainly better than "Energy Solutions Arena", but I'll be damned if I'm ever going to call it "Vivint Smart Home Arena"
Me and most of the people that I know still call it the Delta Center.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #3898  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:36 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
And looking at that photo makes me think Vivint should cover the roof of the arena with solar panels.
For sure. Are solar panels better at deflecting tornados?
     
     
  #3899  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:43 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
There's now 3 million of us here.

Utah welcomes 3 millionth resident
http://fox13now.com/2015/10/26/utah-welc...-gov-herbert-talks-on-growth-challenges/
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #3900  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:00 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
And looking at that photo makes me think Vivint should cover the roof of the arena with solar panels.
That's brilliant. Why would they not? I mean, yeah. Costs and stuff. But what better message about their business? That would make a huge impression and get mentioned by sportscasters every game.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.