Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One
I think you really dont understand how "public art" works. Art will not just pop up in stations for free, it has to be bought / leased using money. You also ignored the fact that if a third party does this, then there are hefty insurance costs involved (and likely legal liabilities) that would then involve a lot of management.
I love how people here cry foul about our stations being "plain" and boring, and then show examples of showpiece stations from around the world, decorated to the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 with art and extremely expensive structures, then when Translink does even the slightest action towards such, it becomes a huge waste of money!
|
Obviously I don't understand how public art works.
The people who live in Vancouver pay there taxes and they have a city council that decided how much money to hand over to the "Civic Public Art Program" (
http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/create-and-place-public-art.aspx)
One would expect that the money that goes into the "Civic Public Art Program" is spent on Art and not other things (such as Transportation or Social Housing). From some of the news articles it sounds like part of funds for the poodle came from there. I think it would have been good if all of it came from there.
I am not against art. I am against having elected representatives decide how much money to spend on transportation vrs art vrs social housing and then have unelected official repurpose those funding for other things When that happens you can not hold elected officials accountable.
It is not about how much the poodle costs. It is about the transit organisation saying we don't have enough money we need our own special tax, the elected officials are not giving us enough. Trust us we will spend it wisely. Then spending it on things that are core to their mission. It tasks like "bait and switch". Yes, the cost of the poodle might buy a bus shelter somewhere at most. If translink wants to gain that trust factor it needs to be pretty clean and focused.