HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9541  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:32 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
That Onni building is like our version of all those ugly po-mo residential towers all over Manhattan's UES. I am not a fan.
     
     
  #9542  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:36 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Seattle and Portland shouldn't have to pay and get lumped into this. It's not their fight. No one told Vancouver to build the same three towers 200 times.
There's lots of similar looking cheapy, plastic architecture in Seattle, although it's mostly in the form of mid-rises.

Portland actually has some really nice buildings.

So yeah, maybe it is mostly Vancouver. But you see a lot of this being built in Toronto and Calgary too.
     
     
  #9543  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:42 AM
Mojeda101's Avatar
Mojeda101 Mojeda101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DTLA
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
126 units out of 1500 planned. The article mentions that the site is big enough for this tower and possibly another. This is insane. I don't see downtown go anywhere but up from here on out. It'll be endless construction. Call me crazy guys, but I have a strong feeling we will see a real tallest by 2020. I have a feeling someone is going to make a stunning proposal for a 1,250 skyscraper that will complete our skyline. I'm saving this post just to say I told you so when the announcement happens
     
     
  #9544  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 6:32 AM
Yackemflaber69's Avatar
Yackemflaber69 Yackemflaber69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 701
Hope your right.
     
     
  #9545  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 8:07 AM
Docjalby Docjalby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
126 units out of 1500 planned. The article mentions that the site is big enough for this tower and possibly another. This is insane. I don't see downtown go anywhere but up from here on out. It'll be endless construction. Call me crazy guys, but I have a strong feeling we will see a real tallest by 2020. I have a feeling someone is going to make a stunning proposal for a 1,250 skyscraper that will complete our skyline. I'm saving this post just to say I told you so when the announcement happens
I don't know about a 1,250... Well, maybe with a Spire.

The last super tall tower will be located at Angels Knoll. It is the only block of land left that has unlimited FAR and it is a huge piece of land. You can't have a tall skinny skyscraper in LA because the more skinny it is the less structurally sound it will be during an earthquake (which doesn't affect other places). That's why in order to do a big tower here, you need a whole block.

And we should start getting proposals for Angels Knoll in the next 3-4 months.
     
     
  #9546  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:49 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
This is the key point. The "pointy top" look for tall buildings is not really a trend that is shaping skylines much these days. Most downtowns are riddled with flat topped structures with a few pyramidal tops and spires. LA is just getting in the game. I think we will see more buildings with aspirational crowns. Though since most new towers are residential, and you dont see many of them with decandent tops, we may have a while to wait.
I was being sort of sarcastic with my comment; it's just that when the news broke out that the helipad requirement was being eliminated, Mayor Garcetti made it out that it was this requirement that was making LA's tall buildings dull, when in actuality, the helipad requirement was enacted precisely when skyscrapers were being designed with flat roofs anyway; in fact by the 1970s, box-shaped skyscrapers had become the accepted norm, being that Modernism was already considered the norm for 20-something years by then.

It was during the Postmodern period of the 1980s/early 1990s when skyscrapers in other areas were being designed with differently-shaped tops, and it was only then that the helipad requirement limited the design of LA highrises. But if anything, I thought it was interesting to see how architects could be creative by designing highrises in Los Angeles during this Postmodern period with a crowning element that was fashionable back then, and also meet the helipad requirement. The building on the southeast corner of Wilshire and Midvale in Westwood as well as the US Bank tower downtown come to my mind. Though they are essentially flat-roofed, they still have distinctive tops, when viewed closer than from a distance.
     
     
  #9547  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 7:24 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docjalby View Post
I don't know about a 1,250... Well, maybe with a Spire.

The last super tall tower will be located at Angels Knoll. It is the only block of land left that has unlimited FAR and it is a huge piece of land. You can't have a tall skinny skyscraper in LA because the more skinny it is the less structurally sound it will be during an earthquake (which doesn't affect other places). That's why in order to do a big tower here, you need a whole block.

And we should start getting proposals for Angels Knoll in the next 3-4 months.
What about the giant parking lot behind Hotel Figueroa? If there's any existing plot of empty land left in Dowtown LA capable of building up to 1000, 1250, maybe even 1500 ft, it's that one (Salvation Army building would obviously have to go, but still).
     
     
  #9548  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 7:27 PM
112597jorge 112597jorge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
126 units out of 1500 planned. The article mentions that the site is big enough for this tower and possibly another. This is insane. I don't see downtown go anywhere but up from here on out. It'll be endless construction. Call me crazy guys, but I have a strong feeling we will see a real tallest by 2020. I have a feeling someone is going to make a stunning proposal for a 1,250 skyscraper that will complete our skyline. I'm saving this post just to say I told you so when the announcement happens
I agree with you
     
     
  #9549  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 7:45 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Beggars can't be choosers but I agree that it'd be nice to have these buildings spread thought DTLA rather than just having a clump of similar glassy 'Couvers in South Park.
Yeah. PS needs some sugar esp if people want the homeless to stop using the Square as their private bathroom and drug den.


Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Seattle and Portland shouldn't have to pay and get lumped into this. It's not their fight. No one told Vancouver to build the same three towers 200 times.
Seattle's new hi rises tend to be darker and wider than the ones going up in Vancouver. I wish more of its hi rises were like Vancouver's.......their 'lightness' plays well to the gray that covers the skies in the PNW for 7-8 months of the year and they reflect the water that surrounds Vancouver on 3 sides. I will admit the bldgs do get repetitive.

However, IMO the best hi rise architecture going up on the west coast these days is in SF.
     
     
  #9550  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 5:42 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
126 units out of 1500 planned. The article mentions that the site is big enough for this tower and possibly another. This is insane. I don't see downtown go anywhere but up from here on out. It'll be endless construction. Call me crazy guys, but I have a strong feeling we will see a real tallest by 2020. I have a feeling someone is going to make a stunning proposal for a 1,250 skyscraper that will complete our skyline. I'm saving this post just to say I told you so when the announcement happens
My thoughts exactly. I literally stated that in my last post on the last page. I truly believe LA will get a new tallest within 5, maybe 10, years. Of course it will be mixed use but it will work. The best spot in my opinion would be directly across the street from Apex tower at the corner of 9th and fig. Would be a really good spot. Big open parking lot, it needs to be filled immediately
     
     
  #9551  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 7:20 AM
UserName01010 UserName01010 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: City of Disneyland
Posts: 146
8th and Grand

Pictures taken: 05/23/2015




     
     
  #9552  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 7:23 AM
UserName01010 UserName01010 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: City of Disneyland
Posts: 146
LA Federal Court House

Pictures taken: 05/23/2015







     
     
  #9553  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 4:06 PM
Kenchiku desu Kenchiku desu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 52
801 S Olive

I was unable to get renderings for 801 South Olive but was able to confirm that the 33-story version will keep the same, roughly 14,500-square-foot (120 x 120 feet) floor plate as the previous, shorter version. The more slender proportions will be an improvement -- independent of revised "styling" by SCB Architects, who do good work (at least in Chicago and SF examples).

The added height meant going back to FAA, Building Dept., Planning and City Council for approvals, along with the need to make a deeper mat foundation to accommodate greater loading.
     
     
  #9554  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 5:01 PM
ConstructDTLA's Avatar
ConstructDTLA ConstructDTLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenchiku desu View Post
I was unable to get renderings for 801 South Olive but was able to confirm that the 33-story version will keep the same, roughly 14,500-square-foot (120 x 120 feet) floor plate as the previous, shorter version. The more slender proportions will be an improvement -- independent of revised "styling" by SCB Architects, who do good work (at least in Chicago and SF examples).

The added height meant going back to FAA, Building Dept., Planning and City Council for approvals, along with the need to make a deeper mat foundation to accommodate greater loading.
Agreed!

We need more towers with smaller footprints, and less dumb ideas like the 7-story parking garage + CVS going up against the side of this project.
     
     
  #9555  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 9:50 PM
Valyrian Steel's Avatar
Valyrian Steel Valyrian Steel is offline
:o
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm with you there.

So much for that relaxation of the helipad requirement, huh? I don't see any new Los Angeles high-rises/skyscrapers being designed with spires or pointy tops or dirigible masts or anything like that.

Regarding that "outdated" requirement, it was put into effect in the 1970s when nearly all skyscrapers had flat tops anyway, because of that Modernist box shape that was so de rigueur back then.
How about these?


http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews....661-07ad7a826e67/55285f7f9eda9.image.png


http://www.trbimg.com/img-54f7981d/turbi...-marriott-tower-jpg-20150304/450/450x450
     
     
  #9556  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 9:53 PM
saybanana saybanana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 197
Wow I didnt know the courthouse had a corrugated glass design. I thought it was going to be a flat smooth glass cube design with alternating light/dark vertical stripes.
     
     
  #9557  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 10:03 PM
elcoronel's Avatar
elcoronel elcoronel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 44
I think that it is a little ridiculous to expect every new tower to have a spire or some other sort of non-flat rooftop. Most of the time, flat rooftops look the cleanest and help peacefully fill out a sky line. Spires and such are only appropriate, in my opinion, for the tallest buildings, where they serve to make the towers stand out and finally pull the skyline toward the sky. Too many of them would look overdone.
Also, spires like the one planned for the JW Marriott extension, where they are just a little antenna like thing that juts out from the side, usually look out of place and do not fit in with the rest of the building. The exception is the Wilshire Grand because the rest of the tower leads structurally toward that spire.
     
     
  #9558  
Old Posted May 24, 2015, 11:05 PM
timpdx's Avatar
timpdx timpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 364
I thought it would be more like Salt Lake City's Federal Courthouse, its hard to read these facades from renderings. I like what I see and think its better than SLC for sure.

(pic of SLC courthouse by Thomas Phifer + Partners)


photo: http://www.metalocus.es/content/en
     
     
  #9559  
Old Posted May 25, 2015, 12:38 AM
ConstructDTLA's Avatar
ConstructDTLA ConstructDTLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Wow I didnt know the courthouse had a corrugated glass design. I thought it was going to be a flat smooth glass cube design with alternating light/dark vertical stripes.
Neither did I, but now that I look closer at the renderings I see it. I'm sure it'll look great, SOM does spectacular work.





     
     
  #9560  
Old Posted May 25, 2015, 1:51 AM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 3,234
Great article in the newest issue of Los Angeles Magazine about new development in Los Angeles, with some information and more detailed renders of the Grand Avenue Project. Looks like they are gonna break it in to phases, with Phase 1 being a 27 story pyramid that will break ground at the end of 2016.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.