HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9521  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:04 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
12th and Grand... New 37 story condo tower proposed... Designed by Keating... 100 million, hope to break ground next year.. On my phone so hard to link... LA Times
I got you!

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-property-report-dtla-condos-20150522-story.html

126 condos, priced between $600k and $4 million.

     
     
  #9522  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:08 PM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
     
     
  #9523  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:10 PM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
I think it looks... alright. Kind of Vancouver-ish.
     
     
  #9524  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:18 PM
timpdx's Avatar
timpdx timpdx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 364
edit dupe
     
     
  #9525  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:58 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I think it looks... alright. Kind of Vancouver-ish.

I like it.......it has kind of a unique design [for LA]. But then, I am partial to the Vancouver skyline too.

DTLA needs more of these projects around Pershing Square........not just South Park.
     
     
  #9526  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 4:01 PM
Beverly Hills Nimby Beverly Hills Nimby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 36
It's beautiful. I don't think there's much more you can ask for. That little area of 11th and 12th st in South Park is going to be a great neighborhood.

Let's face it.. the problems around Pershing Square aren't going away anytime soon. South Park is always going to be nicer and more appropriate for luxury high rises.
     
     
  #9527  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 4:32 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
I wonder if it will have a similar multi-colored glass treatment as Mark on 10th in Calgary (pictured below). The glass fins on the left side of the tower in the render seem to have the same type of muted green and yellow. Not nearly as much concrete on this one (thankfully), but somewhat similar in terms of size and massing.

     
     
  #9528  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 7:03 PM
ConstructDTLA's Avatar
ConstructDTLA ConstructDTLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1,454
New tower looks nice. Its still sad they're getting rid of the little deco building. To a pedestrian South Park will be nothing but podiums in a few years, it would've been nice to have something linking us to the past (besides the awesome Desmonds reno).
     
     
  #9529  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:18 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I wonder if it will have a similar multi-colored glass treatment as Mark on 10th in Calgary (pictured below). The glass fins on the left side of the tower in the render seem to have the same type of muted green and yellow. Not nearly as much concrete on this one (thankfully), but somewhat similar in terms of size and massing.
Mixing up the facade treatment seems to be trend.......I have seen it done on a couple of bldgs recently..........and now on one of the AMZN towers:



Of course it doesn't make this bldg exciting architecture but it does make it slightly more interesting to look at........as with the Calgary bldg. As far as I know these color treatments were not part of the original renders.
     
     
  #9530  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:30 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I think it looks... alright. Kind of Vancouver-ish.
I'm with you there.

So much for that relaxation of the helipad requirement, huh? I don't see any new Los Angeles high-rises/skyscrapers being designed with spires or pointy tops or dirigible masts or anything like that.

Regarding that "outdated" requirement, it was put into effect in the 1970s when nearly all skyscrapers had flat tops anyway, because of that Modernist box shape that was so de rigueur back then.
     
     
  #9531  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 11:02 PM
StethJeff's Avatar
StethJeff StethJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I think it looks... alright. Kind of Vancouver-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
I like it.......it has kind of a unique design [for LA]. But then, I am partial to the Vancouver skyline too.

DTLA needs more of these projects around Pershing Square........not just South Park.
Beggars can't be choosers but I agree that it'd be nice to have these buildings spread thought DTLA rather than just having a clump of similar glassy 'Couvers in South Park.
     
     
  #9532  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 11:11 PM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
Let's use the term "Cascadian" to refer to this architectural aesthetic. Because, really, I need to stop picking on Vancouver (a city I love and have been to many times, for what it's worth).

The design is not terrible by any means… just boring. I expect more from Keating and Chinese developers.
     
     
  #9533  
Old Posted May 22, 2015, 11:23 PM
Yackemflaber69's Avatar
Yackemflaber69 Yackemflaber69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 701
Any idea how tall it might be?
     
     
  #9534  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:19 AM
Just-In-Cali's Avatar
Just-In-Cali Just-In-Cali is offline
Urbanite in Suburbia
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles Metro
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm with you there.

Regarding that "outdated" requirement, it was put into effect in the 1970s when nearly all skyscrapers had flat tops anyway, because of that Modernist box shape that was so de rigueur back then.
This is the key point. The "pointy top" look for tall buildings is not really a trend that is shaping skylines much these days. Most downtowns are riddled with flat topped structures with a few pyramidal tops and spires. LA is just getting in the game. I think we will see more buildings with aspirational crowns. Though since most new towers are residential, and you dont see many of them with decandent tops, we may have a while to wait.
     
     
  #9535  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:24 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Cool. Possibly becoming the new anchor tower for the south end of downtown ? furthest proposed tower that south that tall.

Come on you guys. We all know how this works. We get a rendering. obviously wont be the tower built since they all change in designs through the planning process, it wont look like this when all is said and done but its not a bad looking tower.

What you should be telling yourselves is...... Its a Chinese developer that's proposing this. The Chinese developers haven't failed us yet. most likely this one will be built hoping that the Chinese markets don't crash or our own economy doesn't burst again like with our last boom.
     
     
  #9536  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:32 AM
caligrad's Avatar
caligrad caligrad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
This is the key point. The "pointy top" look for tall buildings is not really a trend that is shaping skylines much these days. Most downtowns are riddled with flat topped structures with a few pyramidal tops and spires. LA is just getting in the game. I think we will see more buildings with aspirational crowns. Though since most new towers are residential, and you dont see many of them with decandent tops, we may have a while to wait.
Yup. All people have to do is look at the "currently under construction diagram" and literally 80% of all buildings under construction has flat tops and when you get to the 3rd page, that percentage goes up. Unfortunately LA is late to the game for crowns/spires/amazing roofs on its skyscrapers but we will get a couple soon im sure. Mark my words, LAs next tallest, which I think we will get in the next 5 years, will have a crown/spire.
     
     
  #9537  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:32 AM
TwoDoorsDown TwoDoorsDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
[IMG]WP_20150521_6842 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]

glass walls are going up a couple of days ago at the federal courthouse.
     
     
  #9538  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:17 AM
TwoDoorsDown TwoDoorsDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Onni's Level DTLA from yesterday.

[IMG]IMAG00821 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG00822 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG00823 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG00824 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMAG00825 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]
     
     
  #9539  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:25 AM
TwoDoorsDown TwoDoorsDown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
Carmel Partners tower at 8th and Olive today.

[IMG]IMAG00826 by Baoloc Le, on Flickr[/IMG]
     
     
  #9540  
Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:30 AM
StethJeff's Avatar
StethJeff StethJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Let's use the term "Cascadian" to refer to this architectural aesthetic. Because, really, I need to stop picking on Vancouver (a city I love and have been to many times, for what it's worth).

The design is not terrible by any means… just boring. I expect more from Keating and Chinese developers.
Seattle and Portland shouldn't have to pay and get lumped into this. It's not their fight. No one told Vancouver to build the same three towers 200 times.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.