HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2701  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 9:11 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
SLC Projects, seems like a bit of an overreaction. Can't please everybody, right?

I haven't given up on Omni completely. There are a million potential reasons why they appear to have put their bid on a bit of a hold. I won't be any more presumptuous then I already have been. This is a complex project; I personally will give them a little more time to figure their stuff out.

As to a location, I had heard that there was a lot of support for trying to site it somewhere on the existing Salt Palace footprint. This would help save on land costs but would impact operations of the convention center for some time.
     
     
  #2702  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 9:26 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
I feel like a helpless dog that has a blanket over itself and has no idea what's happening

Can someone summarize everything recently about CCC?
     
     
  #2703  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 9:44 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,108
UTPlanner,

I do know the exact location for where they were/are wanting it to be tied into the existing footprint.

I haven't heard anything on this in a couple of months though.

The thought is that it would save up between $20 and $25 million in land acquisition costs.

I also have not given up hope on Omni yet. Even though no one has head from them, doesn't mean it isn't progressing. I am hopeful that we will hear something soon.

One thing that shouldn't be discounted is that for the size of SLC, we have a large amount of hotel rooms. The Salt Lake convention district has roughly 7,000 rooms. For comparison, Denver convention district has 8,500 rooms.

Also, the Salt Lake convention district hotel occupancy rates are currently averaging greater than 75% and spikes over 90% occur frequently.

With these numbers, I know that more hotels will be coming and they are also the main reason that I think Omni will still follow through.

We need to remember that the Omni spokesperson did say that ground breaking wouldn't happen until later this year (Late Fall/Winter). So even though news has dried doesn't mean that things aren't progressing.
     
     
  #2704  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:04 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I feel like a helpless dog that has a blanket over itself and has no idea what's happening

Can someone summarize everything recently about CCC?
There is a new store going in on the second floor. Not much else has happend since the Apple Store moved in like 2 years ago.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #2705  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:09 PM
T-Stan's Avatar
T-Stan T-Stan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 304
Marriott has been pushing for a new hotel on the corner of 100 South and West Temple for about 20 years. At one time, they were ready to move forward and may have even had some verbal agreements in place with property owners. From my understanding, they were quite close to making it happen in 2007 or so. The plan was to either build a second tower and connect to the existing Marriot or to build a separate hotel (JW Marriott or Renaissance). I think the City would still prefer to see the 1000 room hotel go to the east side instead of the west side of the convention center.
     
     
  #2706  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:18 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Lol sorry I meant cch
     
     
  #2707  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:23 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Lol sorry I meant cch
I know... I'm just messing with Ya... Iv made that same mistake a few times 😃
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #2708  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:26 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I feel like a helpless dog that has a blanket over itself and has no idea what's happening
the post of the day.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
  #2709  
Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:35 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
does the Radisson count as being on the foot print? If not the only place(and I know it's not for sure) I can think of is 200s west temple. That would be an interesting place for a tower
     
     
  #2710  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:46 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,637
What is completed first - the La Porte project or the CCH?
     
     
  #2711  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:21 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
What is completed first - the La Porte project or the CCH?
Good question, and funny.
About a year and a half ago, I was saying the CCH would be done in late 2018, and most forumers thought that was too late.
Then about a half year ago, the City,State, County were saying mid to late 2018.
But now your question becomes valid....and funny.
I'm saying now that the CCH is done sometime in 2019.
The LaPorte?, flip a coin.
Let the Laporte one-liners begin.
     
     
  #2712  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 5:14 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Maybe it will just sit there like it is now for 15 years... The building that is now the Marriott residence Inn on 300 W. comes to mind. ;-)

Or maybe they will just tear it down and put a parking lot there.
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #2713  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:31 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
I don't think it is time to panic yet about Omni. Working with a city and its bureaucracy can take time. In the mean time we might get two new hotels built, as we wait for the CCH.
     
     
  #2714  
Old Posted May 12, 2015, 7:32 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #2715  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 12:54 AM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
What is completed first - the La Porte project or the CCH?
Atlantis.
     
     
  #2716  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 1:03 AM
Marvland's Avatar
Marvland Marvland is offline
SLC Lifer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Fairpark
Posts: 674
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I've always felt that RWP was the best site, but I would be optimistic if ever for some reason the Zion's configuration were somehow in the mix...of course while maintaining the historic structures. Sounds though like the conspiracy theories are just fun and games to pass the time. Makid's comments sound pretty solid, and I don't have a problem with any of the sites he mentioned as probable possibilities.
I'm happy as long as it gets built. But as a catalyst for the westward growth of CBD, Royalwood wins in my mind. The Zions lots will get a tower someday anyway.
     
     
  #2717  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:08 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
My understanding was that the Outdoor Convention will go elsewhere unless more convention and hotel space is built. Can the city afford to wait until 2018 and beyond?
     
     
  #2718  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 10:52 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,751
I'm assuming that the decision makers with the ORC are among the best informed as to weekly progress on the CCH. Hence, they're probably a lot less stressed than us, knowing that it's moving along at an appropriate pace.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
I'm happy as long as it gets built. But as a catalyst for the westward growth of CBD, Royalwood wins in my mind. The Zions lots will get a tower someday anyway.
Very much agree, probably more than one tower. That whole block has so much additional potential.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
I feel like a helpless dog that has a blanket over itself and has no idea what's happening

Can someone summarize everything recently about CCC?
I second Jedi's nomination. Jubguy's post has to be one of my favorites in a long while. I still look back at it and get a laugh.

Last edited by delts145; May 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM.
     
     
  #2719  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:28 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
asies1981, I will be the first to admit that city and/or general local government bureaucracy can be a huge impediment to growth and development, in this case, I think the city has not been the issue. In talks with city representatives on the selection committee, Omni has canceled meetings and refuses to reschedule them. At this point, we are just waiting to hear back from them.

The library looks great thus far. I know the townhomes are progressing through the approval process. I have yet to see anything about further development on the block. I like Clearwater Homes and think they have done a great job with the projects they have completed in SLC. I'm excited to see these projects move forward.
     
     
  #2720  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 4:28 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
SLC Projects, seems like a bit of an overreaction. Can't please everybody, right?
I hope after Projects has had a little time to cool down he'll be back. I enjoy having him around, particularly his usually predictable passion for development.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.