HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7581  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:57 AM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Encore is still an 'if' not a 'when' afaik
     
     
  #7582  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:58 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
A large Mobile crane is being set up at the Museum site. I wonder if they are going to remove one of the cranes.
Yup, I'm watcing them take down the north crane now
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #7583  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:22 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
CNIB rendering from a couple months ago. From a little anon bird.

__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #7584  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:31 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Nice!
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #7585  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:32 PM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763
^^ Nice, I like it!! Thanks for sharing
     
     
  #7586  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:47 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
CNIB rendering from a couple months ago. From a little anon bird.

Not sure I follow the greenery half-way up. It looks more like a reflection than space designed to support greenery of that magnitude and composition.

Green-washing of another kind?
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #7587  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Don't really like all the black jigsaw lines. Also, is just me or does it look thicker on top than the bottom?
     
     
  #7588  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:13 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Bad rendering - the whole building looks tapered
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #7589  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:24 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
^I think that's the photo of the rendering, not the rendering itself.

Looks interesting if this design goes ahead.
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
     
     
  #7590  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:31 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
^I think it's a little of both. I hate renderings that do that. I draw things like that when I want them to look cartoony on the sidewalk. Not for real life sorry.

Other than that, It's visually interesting, but I'm really on the fence. A better rendering would help me, but it seems a bit awkward.
__________________

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss
     
     
  #7591  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:13 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
CNIB looks really nice. Retail in the podium I hope?
     
     
  #7592  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:24 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Other than that, It's visually interesting, but I'm really on the fence. A better rendering would help me, but it seems a bit awkward.
I'm a bit on the fence also. The motif is already growing old in other cities. This design is derivative from that perspective.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #7593  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:27 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,137
Yes please to CNIB.

CAT at NAIT is massive. Spent the morning critiquing their Environmental Design class final projects, so much fun, very impressed!

__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #7594  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:58 PM
s4.audios's Avatar
s4.audios s4.audios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,320
Where is this CNIB location?
     
     
  #7595  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:59 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
^NW corner of 120 Street and Jasper. CNIB = sweetness.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #7596  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:41 PM
CanadianCentaur's Avatar
CanadianCentaur CanadianCentaur is offline
Briareos Hecatonchires
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Big E
Posts: 3,805
That CNIB rendering's not bad at all, IMO. At first, I wasn't sure what to think, but now it's grown on me.

I counted, and looks like it's about 36-37 stories. That could make it about roughly the same height as the Pearl. Interesting.
__________________
Edmonton/Amiskwacîwâskahikan Lat. 53° 34'N Elevation 671 m (2201 ft) Pop. 1,010,899 (2021 city) 1,418,118 (2021 metro) - North America's northernmost metro area over one million.
     
     
  #7597  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:00 PM
vaportrail's Avatar
vaportrail vaportrail is offline
That's no excuse!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
...
I counted, and looks like it's about 36-37 stories. That could make it about roughly the same height as the Pearl. Interesting.
Together they would make the Gates of Jasperave. Awesome.


Argonath by ElizabethCameron on DeviantArt
     
     
  #7598  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:06 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Someone should photoshop that into the faces of Gretzky and McDavid
     
     
  #7599  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:12 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
Or MacTavish and Lowe. "Thou shalt not enter the playoffs!"

I need to stop with the tweedledee and tweedledum jokes, but they deserve them so much.
__________________

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss
     
     
  #7600  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:24 PM
s4.audios's Avatar
s4.audios s4.audios is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,320
Thanks CMD, so much has happened and happening at the end of Jasper West. A few more developments like this and Edmonton will have its own downtown AND uptown.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.