HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2161  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 2:01 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
The one across from the courthouses and the one between Temple Square and Triad, duh
I'd also accept the one surrounding the li'l Zion's Bank at 100 S Main, or the infamous Carl's Jr.
     
     
  #2162  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:08 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I'd also accept the one surrounding the li'l Zion's Bank at 100 S Main, or the infamous Carl's Jr.
How about 4th South and State? The last news was the Delloy Hansen was going to build twin residential buildings there that would be noticeably the tallest buildings in SLC but that died up either due to a conflict with Rocky and him or the economy. It could also be a mixture of both.

I would really like to know what the current plans are for the lot, if any.

Of course, all the other ones would be nice to know about too
     
     
  #2163  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:10 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Copied from 111, as it discusses overall Financial Services in SLC, 151 and CC8.


Thanks for the insider information (maybe that a bad term to use when talking about investment banks )

With GS being the primary occupant of 111, moving their research park employees down and creating more or moving positions from other markets that will greatly increase the market for the CCC condos, including construction of The Cascade. As a large number of GS that were transferred here that work in 222, rented and purchased many units in American Towers.

I estimate that GS committing to 111 is the entire reason it is rising before 151, as they probably pushed the pre-lease level above 45%, often times the benchmark for funding, or maybe they were the entire 45%. Had they signed with 151 that would probably be rising first, and 111 would have been built to street level.

I would estimate that 151 could easily be a target for a new investment bank that wants a presence in SLC, or even City Creek 8, next to Harmons. I doubt investment banks want to be little brother in the same building as another investment bank. So I figure each one will want to be the dominant tenant in the building they occupy. Considering office occupancy rates are in the 90% range there aren't a whole lot of buildings that could accommodate any substantial new tenants.

Investment Banks and other bank headquarters tend to congregate around one another as it provides them access to a greater pool of talent in a concentrated area. Similar to silicon valley and the concentration of tech.

Five years ago, who would have ever thought that Financial Services, could be what grows Salt Lake City's skyline.
     
     
  #2164  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 10:42 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
     
     
  #2165  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:29 AM
UrbanDesign UrbanDesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
Driving in downtown today I saw firefighters at the Arrowhead Press Building. The front doors looked to be destroyed. Some of the first floor frontage looked blackened from fire, but if there was one, they had it out before I got there. I hope it wasn't anything serious enough that they will have to demolish the place. That would be a shame!
     
     
  #2166  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:55 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDesign View Post
Driving in downtown today I saw firefighters at the Arrowhead Press Building. The front doors looked to be destroyed. Some of the first floor frontage looked blackened from fire, but if there was one, they had it out before I got there. I hope it wasn't anything serious enough that they will have to demolish the place. That would be a shame!
I have a feeling that it will be ok:

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/2284837-155/photos-movie-crew-blows-up-downtown
     
     
  #2167  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:19 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,639
huh, Steven Seagal still acts.
     
     
  #2168  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:34 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I'm not sure its accurate to say that Steven Seagal ever acted. He ninja kicked and hammed his way to fame and fortune.
     
     
  #2169  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:00 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
Driving up West Temple last evening to Thursday nite practice I saw the activity. Coming from the south you could see an ambulance and cops with lights on as well as 'smoke' drifting from the building. My heart started sinking until I noticed the light screen and the 'actresses' wrapped up in their robes basking in the afternoon sun next to the tech tent set up to the north.

Amazingly, it didn't seem to affect the 5:30 rush hour traffic!
     
     
  #2170  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 2:33 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
I brought this up a while ago, and was thinking that maybe even the old Newhouse Hotel block could be a possible site. For a little while now I've had this kind of strong suspicion that the LDS Church was thinking of building another Temple in the Downtown area. I don't know that the Newhouse parking lot would ever be the site, but some fairly strong(reliable) rumors have been circulating recently that the Historic Temple is being overwhelmed with LDS visitor and tourist traffic. The predictions are that the traffic is only going to increase substantially. Perhaps, if this is the case I would argue that those empty blocks along S. Temple could be a perfect location. They could extend the Temple Square Campus through an area that is already slated for LDS Church functions such as campus expansions, possible site for a much needed additional church office tower etc.
     
     
  #2171  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 3:38 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
.... For a little while now I've had this kind of strong suspicion that the LDS Church was thinking of building another Temple in the Downtown area..., possible site for a much needed additional church office tower etc.

Boy oh boy, I hope this is just "rock in a hat" speculation.

"much needed" is such a relative term.
     
     
  #2172  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:25 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I brought this up a while ago, and was thinking that maybe even the old Newhouse Hotel block could be a possible site. For a little while now I've had this kind of strong suspicion that the LDS Church was thinking of building another Temple in the Downtown area. I don't know that the Newhouse parking lot would ever be the site, but some fairly strong(reliable) rumors have been circulating recently that the Historic Temple is being overwhelmed with LDS visitor and tourist traffic. The predictions are that the traffic is only going to increase substantially. Perhaps, if this is the case I would argue that those empty blocks along S. Temple could be a perfect location. They could extend the Temple Square Campus through an area that is already slated for LDS Church functions such as campus expansions, possible site for a much needed additional church office tower etc.
I have heard the same thing delts. As for locations I have heard that the parking lot south of the new court house, the parking lot directly west of the lds conference center, and the giant parking lot north of the convention center as possible locations if another temple is to be built.

Concerning the CCH, I can share that we should be hearing an update and some news concerning it sooner than later.
     
     
  #2173  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:48 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I'm going to simply chalk those up as just rumors. Rumors that started with someone saying in a conversation somewhere "I think the church should build another downtown temple."

If it's the tourists that are attending the Temple that is causing it to be overwhelmed, a new downtown temple won't help that because the tourists aren't coming to SLC attend the new one. It's the local residents that are in Salt Lake Temple District that are resulting in the tourists overwhelming capacity. Each temple has a certain amount of (wards/stakes/congregations) that are assigned a specific temple as the one they should attend. Districts are based on total numbers, and they attempt to divide it according to the capacity of each temple.

So the main issue is that there may be the right amount of local residents in the SL Temple district based on capacity, but combined with tourists that capacity is pushed to the limits. Considering my parents, Cottonwood Heights, and Sister (Stansbury Park) are both in the SL Temple district the solution isn't a new downtown temple it is a new temple in another area, say WVC, Tooele, etc. That will allow other districts to be realigned reliving some of the capacity issue at the SL Temple.

So those that wouldn't want another downtown Temple, don't worry it's not going to happen.

I expect that Property Reserve will hold onto the 400 S parking lot, until they see a demand for more development, commercial, office, residential or mixed use and either develop it with one of those uses, or they will wait until they are approached by a developer and offered the right $$ amount for the property, and simply decide to sell it. I've always looked at that purchase by Property Reserve, from Sinclair, as nothing but a Real Estate investment. Of not, Sinclair has first right of refusal for a certain period of time (not sure the years) if PR were to want to sell it.


As for a new COB, If it were to happen I would expect that somewhere on S. Temple. The LDS church already has an established campus and I don't see them branching out a half mile down Main to build a new COB, when there are plenty of opportunities near the current campus.
     
     
  #2174  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:06 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
I doubt it will happen either, but I think people would attend a new temple over the old one if they made it interesting. For example, if we're following the advice of the video posted a couple of pages back, it should be the tallest building in the city, which would make it the tallest church building in the Americas. And they could do something different and have a portion of the temple separate from the main portion that's not restricted access. Some sort of assembly hall that's open to the general public during the day. The problem with that is they already have those sorts of areas on temple square. Again, not gonna happen, so sorry for commenting it, but it's fun to fantasize about.
     
     
  #2175  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:38 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Airhero, no need to apologize. It's always fun to dream a little bit. I do it every time I'm downtown, which is pretty much every day. Just thought I would mention that the Garbett project on 400 West should be breaking ground any day. It's not my favorite design but it certainly breaks from the monotonous design of apartments that I have seen lately. Also, Google Fiber is coming to SLC. Watch for an announcement in the next week or two. They are all ready to start securing permits.
     
     
  #2176  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:08 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
I agree. There isn't any chance of a new LDS Temple being built on the parking lot at 4th South.

Now, there was a rumor that the parking lot (NW corner of North and West Temple) would be built as a new Overflow building for General Conference and would also be used as additional ward meeting space with a temple component (similar to the NYC Temple). It would just be separate from the other areas.

This was tossed around by people that work in the architectural department at the COB back when they purchased the building to the west of the lot. I think it was also more of a brain storming meeting so please, don't take this as anything other than that.

I personally think that the above lot and accompanying building to the west will be the location of an additional COB. COB2 if you will. Probably 2 20 story buildings rather than a single tall 40 story building. This would connect all of their buildings via underground tunnels (yes, they are connected and yes, I have been through them).

As for another LDS temple being built in SLC, I don't think one will happen in Downtown. I think that when it is needed, it will either be built in the NW Quadrant area or West WVC/Magna area (7200 West and around 2100 South).

Also on another thought, I can't help but wish that the movie did burn down the Arrow Press Building so that something could be developed on the site since the current owners don't care about it other than to land bank it currently.

Lastly, Lumberjack, I have heard that we should hear something about the CCH in the next 45 days (approximately) if not the next 15 to 30 days. It could of course come sooner but this is what I have been advised to expect.
     
     
  #2177  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:10 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Airhero, no need to apologize. It's always fun to dream a little bit. I do it every time I'm downtown, which is pretty much every day. Just thought I would mention that the Garbett project on 400 West should be breaking ground any day. It's not my favorite design but it certainly breaks from the monotonous design of apartments that I have seen lately. Also, Google Fiber is coming to SLC. Watch for an announcement in the next week or two. They are all ready to start securing permits.
This is great news, on both points. Additional people downtown is always good and Google Fiber will help lure more people and businesses. It will also help to speed up my connection at home because of competition.
     
     
  #2178  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:16 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
I agree with everything Makid said in that post (because of course I do), but especially this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Also on another thought, I can't help but wish that the movie did burn down the Arrow Press Building so that something could be developed on the site since the current owners don't care about it other than to land bank it currently.
     
     
  #2179  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:34 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
I've actually seen plans, a while back, on how the LDS church would expand along South Temple. There was no tall COB2. It was all mid-rise buildings(maybe 10 stories tall), with lots of nicely landscaped plazas.
     
     
  #2180  
Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:50 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,639
Building another temple downtown solely to relieve tourist congestion from the original temple doesn't make sense. I mean, how many visitors do the suburban temples get each year locally - or any other temple, for that matter? My guess is that it's a fraction of a fraction of what the main LDS Temple receives and that's for a reason - people are coming for the history.

Building another temple wouldn't detract people from going a mile north to visit the original (well, outside Nauvoo). So, you'd still have the swamped grounds regardless.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.