Posted Feb 14, 2015, 1:43 AM
|
 |
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
|
|
haha, actually, that video to me makes it feel like those areas have lost a lot of their character. I would hate for Japan to go that extreme of removing their sign culture. Osaka / Tokyo without their bright lights and funky signs would be a sad loss.
I am sure 70% of Vancouver was also happy when Granville Street lost nearly all of its lights and signs, but wait a few decades and I am sure more and more people in Sao Paulo will say "you know what, this district looks a lot more interesting in those old pictures with all of the signs!"
I agree, you don't want signs and video billboards littered everywhere, but a few key districts (such as entertainment areas / high density commercial areas) do benefit from having a bright lights / sign culture. Especially downtown.
PS, we are not talking about highway roadside McDonalds and Gas Station signs here.
|