Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey
Much of the prime real estate in Pittsburgh consists of "little slivers" squeezed between rivers and highways due to our unique topography. These little slivers should always be maximized with high-intensity development.
|
I'm not disagreeing with that conclusion, but it is also true that the PTC is unusually narrow and pinched off at the ends even for Pittsburgh. The only major area I can think of that is actually worse is the South Shore past the Fort Pitt Bridge, and that has languished (although may be on the verge of a renaissance with the new hotel proposal). Station Square probably counts as a tie, but it has also had it struggles (although again hopefully that is coming to an end), and it was helped by the fact it had a bridge straight to Downtown and a T Station and the Incline. Otherwise areas like the North Shore, Strip, South Side, Waterfront/Homestead, and even ALMONO are all more spread out and have better accessibility in at least some sections.
That doesn't change the fact that if we were doing the PTC on a blank slate today, I would expect a number of significant changes to the plan. But with enough buildings packed in there I still think it will count as a reasonable, albeit not optimal, use of that land.
Edit: By the way, if there is one area where we have f'ed up enough to justify a serious starting over at some point, I'd suggest it would be The Waterfront. We probably won't even think about it until the ALMONO and Carrie Furnace sites are developed, but at that point I am hoping at least large portions of the strip mall are redeveloped, maybe with a new transportation plan as well.