Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:25 AM
|
|
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,994
|
|
I think the tax will fail and I'm starting to think it should.
When the new Pattula is opened and it's toll will be ATLEAST as much as the PM, that will mean that drivers from Surrey who once drove across the bridge free are going to be paying $1800/year in tolls. Imagine if everyone in Vancouver was told their insurance rates were about to double or more, how many would be on board the transit tx train then?
No one should have to pay for a toll on an existing roadway, period. The only truly fair way to spread the pain is gas taxes or higher license plate fees/registration. They could certainly help lower income people and encourage more fuel efficient cars but varying the rates ie $25 for motorcycle/scooter, $50 for electric/hybrid, $75 for 4 cylinder, $100 for 6 cyl, $125 for an 8 cyl. per year.
I agree with transportation taxes but if they are not levied in a far manner then I have a real problem. Frankly I'm not sure how I will vote. My brother and sister {who both live in WR/SS} feel the same way.............they agree with improved transit and special taxes to pay for it but feel people S. of F. are having to pay a much higher rate due to having to pay the sales tax and the tolls. Both are financially comfortably and neither take transit or even cross the bridges very often but both see the need for better transit but feel that they shouldn't be especially penalized because they live on another side of a river.
|