HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1861  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 1:42 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Here is my post on the new housing plan.
     
     
  #1862  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:15 AM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
For anyone that is interested, thought I'd just let you all know that my friend who works close with TRT is going to be in SLC on Friday (tomorrow) with an associate from TRT. I am going out to lunch with them. My friend, (who knows that I am passing on info here on the forum about the CCH) said anyone who wants to come to lunch with us is more than welcome to come. We are going to check out a few sites of where the potential CCH might be built. He will also answer any questions you have, if he can answer. Send me a personal message if you are interested in joining us and I can give you more detailed info. It will be very casual. Sorry for the short notice.

Cheers
     
     
  #1863  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:25 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
I must have missed a previous post. Who is TRT? Are they working with Omni?
     
     
  #1864  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:37 AM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I must have missed a previous post. Who is TRT? Are they working with Omni?
TRT Holdings is the holding company for Omni Hotels.
     
     
  #1865  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:10 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I've been in a lot of debates with forumers here who don't want residential high-rises and point to the Pearl District in Portland as what they don't want certain areas of SLC to look like going forward.

I'm all for looking at half glass full but there is no indication that this mindset is changing anytime soon. While other cities go vertical, SLC continues to lag behind in that regard. Thankfully, the LDS Church invested in a residential high-rise or we'd have how many significant residential projects built the last 30 years?
I would always prefer something tall. The 6-10 story apartment buildings don't bother me in theory.. I just wish they would stop with the motherf****** stucco... I can't take it any more

The shilo Inn, stucco, 🞵🞵🞵, like the Rosemarys baby of stucco high-rises
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #1866  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:32 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,745
Very enthusiastic about the Liberty Crest Project. The design would indicate that this is going to do a world of good for that area, particularly the street appearance and vitality. Like Comrade mentioned though, it would be helpful to have a better idea of the materials they're going to use. Isaac, if possible as you follow this project, could you venture finding out about the materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Here is my post on the new housing plan.

Construction work at the site of the future Liberty Crest Apartments as seen from 100 South. Photo by Isaac Riddle.

Cowboy Partners: Rendering, Liberty Crest Apartments

.
     
     
  #1867  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 11:54 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
For anyone that is interested, thought I'd just let you all know that my friend who works close with TRT is going to be in SLC on Friday (tomorrow) with an associate from TRT. I am going out to lunch with them. My friend, (who knows that I am passing on info here on the forum about the CCH) said anyone who wants to come to lunch with us is more than welcome to come. We are going to check out a few sites of where the potential CCH might be built. He will also answer any questions you have, if he can answer. Send me a personal message if you are interested in joining us and I can give you more detailed info. It will be very casual. Sorry for the short notice.

Cheers
Damn, This is one luncheon I definitely wish I could be at. I hope a couple of you will be able to take LumberJack up on his generous offer.
     
     
  #1868  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 1:59 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I'm glad to hear that 20% of Liberty Village in Sugarhouse is going to be reserved for lower income individuals and families. I've always preached that mixing in a percentage of low income with market rate is the best way to bring more affordable housing to any city.

Mixing a small portion of affordable with market rate doesn't create a slum, it doesn't result in nearby property values declining and it doesn't result in nearby retail not being able to be supported by nearby residents. I also feel that the properties will have a tendency to have better upkeep because the market rate residents demand that from management. I also think it can potentially provide more opportunities for those with lower incomes to feel a part of the community, and might introduce them to more opportunities to increase their income simply by meeting neighbors.

It really bothers me that the Sugarhouse Community Council appear to be becoming a bit snobby, and not understanding the benefits of mixed income housing. It's not like they are building a 15 story highrise full of all Section 8 housing.
     
     
  #1869  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:08 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm glad to hear that 20% of Liberty Village in Sugarhouse is going to be reserved for lower income individuals and families. I've always preached that mixing in a percentage of low income with market rate is the best way to bring more affordable housing to any city.

Mixing a small portion of affordable with market rate doesn't create a slum, it doesn't result in nearby property values declining and it doesn't result in nearby retail not being able to be supported by nearby residents. I also feel that the properties will have a tendency to have better upkeep because the market rate residents demand that from management. I also think it can potentially provide more opportunities for those with lower incomes to feel a part of the community, and might introduce them to more opportunities to increase their income simply by meeting neighbors.

It really bothers me that the Sugarhouse Community Council appear to be becoming a bit snobby, and not understanding the benefits of mixed income housing. It's not like they are building a 15 story highrise full of all Section 8 housing.
The SugarHouse Community Council has always been snobby.
     
     
  #1870  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:45 PM
LumberJack LumberJack is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 90
It seems to me that sugar house development has slowed down lately. Maybe I am wrong......?
     
     
  #1871  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 11:09 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
This is somewhat off-topic, but since some of you have been discussing/lamenting the mid-rise trend around downtown, I thought I'ld post some of the mid-rise(well, not technically mid-rise, but mixed-use 6 to 7 story) housing projects I've been working on.

The first one is an infill housing project for an aging suburban mall area:


This design was a joint effort between me and another co-worker.



The second one is in Ballard, a very trendy part of Seattle:

The overall design concept and colors was before I was brought in, but the canopies, rendering, and exterior design completion was by me.

Sorry for the large size of the images.
     
     
  #1872  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:25 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Post on the clean air rally. I will investigate the materials that will be use for Liberty Crest.
     
     
  #1873  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 2:30 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,635
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2093860-156/biskupski-makes-it-a-three-way-race

Think I'm gonna support Biskupski for mayor. Ralph has done a good job the last two terms but I believe it's time for some new blood.
     
     
  #1874  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 3:07 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumberJack View Post
For anyone that is interested, thought I'd just let you all know that my friend who works close with TRT is going to be in SLC on Friday (tomorrow) with an associate from TRT. I am going out to lunch with them. My friend, (who knows that I am passing on info here on the forum about the CCH) said anyone who wants to come to lunch with us is more than welcome to come. We are going to check out a few sites of where the potential CCH might be built. He will also answer any questions you have, if he can answer. Send me a personal message if you are interested in joining us and I can give you more detailed info. It will be very casual. Sorry for the short notice.

Cheers
Kind of surprised nobody's ask about this yet. But how did the lunch met go? Did anybody else go?
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1875  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:02 AM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
New Marmalade building on 300 West.





     
     
  #1876  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:31 AM
RosePark's Avatar
RosePark RosePark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 168
Saw the Holiday Inn Express in person today and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would in person. That being said, I wish they had used any finish but beige stucco. That should be left to the 'burbs.
     
     
  #1877  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:49 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
HERALDING THE RETURN OF T-MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where ya been Man?
We've all missed your awesome camera work!
Thank goodness for ToyzNoiz and a few others, or we'd be picture dry.
Glad to have you back---hope this ain't just a cameo.
     
     
  #1878  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 4:54 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Perhaps they should have painted it all one light color and leave the balconies as is (the grey or green) what ever color that is.
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #1879  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 8:33 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
Hey Orlando, that Ballard project looks very nice. Put one of those in SLC somewhere will you?
     
     
  #1880  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 5:01 PM
T-Mac's Avatar
T-Mac T-Mac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bountiful, Utah
Posts: 1,163
Loved how this one turned out.









     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.