HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1841  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:06 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
It's going to take allot of people to change in order to make a dent in that.
Or electric autonomous Uber cars... but I've already promised to shut up about that on this site.

Even if mass transit can't help you, there is still minimizing and combining trips, carpooling, ride sharing, biking, walking, and other mitigating measures that can be taken. It is a much larger choice than 'take UTA or Drive Alone.' That driving is a necessity is a given, seeing as the Salt Lake Valley is patchwork of sprawled suburbs. But people still drive way too much for things that could have been minimized, combined, or switched to a different mode entirely.

57%/5 ~=11%. It therefore takes 1/5 (20%) of all vehicle miles traveled to equal the total polluting effort of all the refineries combined. I agree that 11% is a lot and should be reduced over time, but 1/5 of car trips is an amount that easily could be eliminated if people really cared.

I maintain that pollution is a persistent problem because of the blame game. No matter how much I like Autonomous Vehicles, they won't be what saves us. People's attitudes must change first. Then we'll see progress.
     
     
  #1842  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 11:29 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The rendering actually looks better than the final product - though, I am not feelin' the green.
We need to pass legislation that would restrict stucco on structures over a certain height? This thing turned out to be hideous. It's going to look far worse then it did originally within 5-10 years.

And the inside isn't much better. The rooms have suspended acoustic tile ceilings... Which is extraordinarily tacky.
     
     
  #1843  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 12:29 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
We need to pass legislation that would restrict stucco on structures over a certain height? This thing turned out to be hideous. It's going to look far worse then it did originally within 5-10 years.

And the inside isn't much better. The rooms have suspended acoustic tile ceilings... Which is extraordinarily tacky.
Drove by the Holiday Express today.
It's been fun bashing the thing, but it...isn..'t..that..bad.
Now that's coming from someone who has withstood the original Shilo.
As an out-of-towner, then yeah, it might frighten you, but comparably, it's better than it was.
And I'd still take it as is in 5-10 years than the Elvis Shrine that couldn't.
Hopefully, in 5-10 yrs., they'll implode the poor thing and build something quality.
I know---not gonna happen.
It would have been interesting to see what might have happened if that site, and the site behind it where they are talking about building another hotel, would have galvanized together in time for the building of the upcoming CCH.
Not a ton of space, but hey, we're not so dense here that there's a lot of air rights jockeying.
Build up.
     
     
  #1844  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 12:33 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Post on the Liberty Crest Apartments which has started construction.
     
     
  #1845  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 1:12 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Post on the Liberty Crest Apartments which has started construction.
What a great infill project. Also is that the yellow crane in the background for the State Street Plaza I see in the upright position in the last pic? #hopeafterall
     
     
  #1846  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 1:54 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Hell, here in this very forum, one devoted to high-rise construction, you have Utahns defend the idea of taking low-rise, cookie-cutter four-story condos over, say, a fifteen-story high-rise residential tower. If supposed urban enthusiasts even here on SSP can't embrace higher living, what makes anyone think the casual local will? They won't.
I don't recall anyone saying they would prefer a cookie cutter four story condo over a 15 story residential tower. In fact nobody is against height at all, it's just that many don't mind another three 25-30ish story office/hotel towers over one 60 story building because that brings density to a larger overall footprint in the city.

Many have accepted that we are getting a those 4-6 story residential buildings, and rather than looking at the glass half empty they accept it and find the positive, which is that these developments are reducing space which will ultimately result in more demand on the remaining parcels, eventually leading them to build taller.
     
     
  #1847  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:17 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Post on the Liberty Crest Apartments which has started construction.
A design like that is what I always wanted from Cowboy on the Gateway and Sugarhouse projects, something more modern. This looks much more urban than those other two. There first two projects in and around downtown I thought were great, Midtown and Metro, the third one, Citywalk, was ok. Then we got Liberty Skidmark (Sugarhouse) and Liberty Gateway and those IMO, 🞵🞵🞵🞵, If the actual product is even close to the rendering, which their renderings do seem to be pretty close, this will be a great addition to 200 E.
     
     
  #1848  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:29 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I don't recall anyone saying they would prefer a cookie cutter four story condo over a 15 story residential tower. In fact nobody is against height at all, it's just that many don't mind another three 25-30ish story office/hotel towers over one 60 story building because that brings density to a larger overall footprint in the city.

Many have accepted that we are getting a those 4-6 story residential buildings, and rather than looking at the glass half empty they accept it and find the positive, which is that these developments are reducing space which will ultimately result in more demand on the remaining parcels, eventually leading them to build taller.
I've been in a lot of debates with forumers here who don't want residential high-rises and point to the Pearl District in Portland as what they don't want certain areas of SLC to look like going forward.

I'm all for looking at half glass full but there is no indication that this mindset is changing anytime soon. While other cities go vertical, SLC continues to lag behind in that regard. Thankfully, the LDS Church invested in a residential high-rise or we'd have how many significant residential projects built the last 30 years?
     
     
  #1849  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:31 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Post on the Liberty Crest Apartments which has started construction.
This is a development I like. I just wish the rendering made it clear what materials they'll use.
     
     
  #1850  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 2:45 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This is a development I like. I just wish the rendering made it clear what materials they'll use.
From what I've read recently you are only negative, and that wasn't negative at all, what's going on here?

Last edited by Future Mayor; Jan 29, 2015 at 2:57 AM.
     
     
  #1851  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:16 AM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Why are we still on the negative opinion subject...

To be honest I have no idea what is happening
     
     
  #1852  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:36 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I've been in a lot of debates with forumers here who don't want residential high-rises and point to the Pearl District in Portland as what they don't want certain areas of SLC to look like going forward.

I'm all for looking at half glass full but there is no indication that this mindset is changing anytime soon. While other cities go vertical, SLC continues to lag behind in that regard. Thankfully, the LDS Church invested in a residential high-rise or we'd have how many significant residential projects built the last 30 years?
I'm the one who used the Pearl District as an example. I support 15+ story high-rises west of 200 East. East of 200 East, I would prefer 6-8 or maybe a few 10-story buildings. I do not like 4-6 story stucco buildings at all.
     
     
  #1853  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:33 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I'm the one who used the Pearl District as an example. I support 15+ story high-rises west of 200 East. East of 200 East, I would prefer 6-8 or maybe a few 10-story buildings. I do not like 4-6 story stucco buildings at all.
I don't think people love the stucco buildings. But it seems when you complain about 'em you're shot down pretty quick because, gosh, it's development. For every decent residential development we see, it seems like we also get ten four-story stucco buildings.
     
     
  #1854  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:44 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Why are four story residential buildings being built in downtown SLC anyways? Put those in the 'burbs where they belong.
     
     
  #1855  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:45 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
We need to pass legislation that would restrict stucco on structures over a certain height? This thing turned out to be hideous. It's going to look far worse then it did originally within 5-10 years.

And the inside isn't much better. The rooms have suspended acoustic tile ceilings... Which is extraordinarily tacky.
The good news, I guess, is that Holiday Inn requires a full remodel every 10 years and a partial remodel every 5 years. So hopefully it will look better in 10 years?

I'm also kind if hoping that they do demolish the building and build something better within the next ten years. I don't think that is entirely out of the realm of possibilities, although it is extremely unlikely.
     
     
  #1856  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:38 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537


If they see the demand rise based on convention business, I bet they'd at least consider demolishing the building to build a larger hotel...
     
     
  #1857  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:12 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post


If they see the demand rise based on convention business, I bet they'd at least consider demolishing the building to build a larger hotel...
I thought they were already doing somthing like that by getting ready to build a 2nd hotel next to it?
     
     
  #1858  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:36 PM
Dallas Snob Dallas Snob is offline
Verticle
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I'm the one who used the Pearl District as an example. I support 15+ story high-rises west of 200 East. East of 200 East, I would prefer 6-8 or maybe a few 10-story buildings. I do not like 4-6 story stucco buildings at all.
Lately I've been trying to understand how new urbanism fits into the walkable, scalable city model. In NYC for instance, or Boston, you have historic old townhomes or apartments that might be 3 - 5 stories high, sandwiched between high-rises. I am trying to make peace with the fact that there should be residential apartments in downtowns, and not all should be in tall buildings. I guess the real problem is that no developer wants to spend the money to make truly nice townhomes that look historic in the downtown area...or is it that people would not feel safe like they do in a complex that has a central lobby with a guard desk?
     
     
  #1859  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:33 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Post on the Liberty Crest Apartments which has started construction.
I like this development a lot. Looks very promising.
     
     
  #1860  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 10:08 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Becker unveils plan to build 5,000 units of affordable housing in Salt Lake City
By CHRISTOPHER SMART | The Salt Lake Tribune

"There is a startling dearth of affordable housing in Salt Lake City, where many low-income families spend half their wages just to keep a roof over their heads.

Thursday, Mayor Ralph Becker unveiled his "5000 Doors" initiative that seeks to build 5,000 units of affordable housing over the next five years.

"We are working to establish a more livable city. Affordable housing is a key to that," the mayor said. "We want to ensure Salt Lake City is a place where everyone can have an affordable place to live."

More....
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2117119-155/becker-unveils-plan-to-build-5000

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.