HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1301  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:02 PM
DarthMalgus DarthMalgus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 534
The amount of time and energy some of you dedicate to nitpicking over each other's statements just to be able to say "I am right, you are wrong" is truly remarkable.
     
     
  #1302  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:14 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Totally innocuous comment sparking pedantic debate about nothing for the win! Stay classy, Canada section!
Can't help it. I'm a scientist by trade, being rigorous is natural to me. It's hard to fight

On the other hand, I will go ahead and state, mostly for his benefit, that I generally have a lot of respect for geotag277 as a forum user, and that my comment wasn't made to piss him off or mock him. (i.e. I happen to seriously think that you can't dismiss the fact that Calgary springs are cold by simply considering spring as part of your winter, the point being precisely that spring is cold to the point of being almost winterlike.)

In a nutshell:

Person A: "Calgary springs are cold."
Person B: "No they aren't."
Person A: "Yes they are: here's weather data for May and April showing it."
Person B: "Well, May and April, in Calgary we call that winter."
Person A: "..... okay, then... Calgary springs are cold."
     
     
  #1303  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:20 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
pedantic
Ironic.
     
     
  #1304  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:23 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,715

defendingcontending
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #1305  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:28 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Ironic.
I think the word you're looking for is "apt." At least I post weather information in the weather forum.



Currently -2, on track for 7 today.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #1306  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:34 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I think the word you're looking for is "apt."
Nope.
     
     
  #1307  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Nope.
Well, just keep derailing threads with your cyberbully buddy in the name of targeting me. I'm sure your efforts will bear fruit one of these days!

__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #1308  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:39 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I think the word you're looking for is "apt." At least I post weather information in the weather forum.
Teaching someone about seasons, solstices and equinoxes totally qualifies as posting relevant climate information.
     
     
  #1309  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:49 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Teaching someone about seasons, solstices and equinoxes totally qualifies as posting relevant climate information.
Stop being so Pedantic.

__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #1310  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:55 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Stop being so Pedantic.

Please stop bullying me.
     
     
  #1311  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:05 PM
geotag277 geotag277 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Teaching someone about seasons, solstices and equinoxes totally qualifies as posting relevant climate information.
I think people take it far too personally when someone explains something basic and almost elementary as you have in your explanation of spring. Certainly it didn't benefit me any, as my ultimate point was simply to point out the usage of "season", especially as it pertains to "snow season" (not even a technically correct term as I can almost see the smoke coming out of your ears from here), as it is relevant to the specific and certainly special regional location of Calgary.

It's no skin off my back that you spent the time to share that information. It may have benefited some one out there. I think the forum would be better off not taking such basic sharing of knowledge personally.

And to give a stunning example of the kind of immature reactions this forum can have, I present this post by 1overcosc who felt the need to share his understanding of how climate works:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6877194&postcount=1012

And this response:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6878282&postcount=1023
     
     
  #1312  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:09 PM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cala Ghearraidh
Posts: 22,842
Wowww, and it continues. Well, thanks for the support Geo! and thanks Lio basically exemplifying the need for an ignore list on this forum.


Currently +1 at 11 am.
__________________
Strong & Free

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.
     
     
  #1313  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:11 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
I think people take it far too personally when someone explains something basic and almost elementary as you have in your explanation of spring. Certainly it didn't benefit me any, as my ultimate point was simply to point out the usage of "season", especially as it pertains to "snow season" (not even a technically correct term as I can almost see the smoke coming out of your ears from here), as it is relevant to the specific and certainly special regional location of Calgary.

It's no skin off my back that you spent the time to share that information. It may have benefited some one out there. I think the forum would be better off not taking such basic sharing of knowledge personally.

And to give a stunning example of the kind of immature reactions this forum can have, I present this post by 1overcosc who felt the need to share his understanding of how climate works:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6877194&postcount=1012

And this response:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=6878282&postcount=1023
Come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277
I think people take it far too personally
     
     
  #1314  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:54 PM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Aaaahh. Vancouver or Victoria?
That was taken in Vancouver.
     
     
  #1315  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:58 PM
bkd bkd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 363
So much 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 drama all the time... sheesh.
     
     
  #1316  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laramidia
Posts: 12,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Stop being so Pedantic.

You stay classy MolsonExport
__________________
Peak SSP:

28C is hotter than 42C
Vancouver is not on the ocean but Quebec City is.
     
     
  #1317  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 10:28 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Pretty sunset tonight. From Mount Pearl:

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
     
     
  #1318  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 11:43 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
You stay classy MolsonExport

🞵🞵🞵 do you mean by classy? Being Chaddish? Or calling out the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵? I'd much rather classified into the latter. And I will keep it up so long as the 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 is being slinged.

Apologies for being a Pedant.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #1319  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:31 AM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Well, just keep derailing threads with your cyberbully buddy in the name of targeting me. I'm sure your efforts will bear fruit one of these days!

Your responding is what fuels it. Stop responding, and what you perceive to be "cyberbullying" will also stop.
     
     
  #1320  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:36 AM
middeljohn middeljohn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burlington, ON
Posts: 1,681
I was quite surprised to discover today that Ottawa's winters are quite sunny. 43% of possible daylight in Ottawa versus 40% in Edmonton for the month of January. I guess I had just always assumed that Ottawa was more like Toronto during the winter in terms of sunlight hours, ie mostly overcast.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.