HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3341  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 9:25 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Btw, love the Winnipeg pics. It's one of our more elegant cities.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #3342  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
North of Gilead
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North of Gilead
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Funny, in British Columbia I have the opposite feeling.
I have a feeling that BC is an outlier in Canada. My architect friend from Vancouver describes the city as 'over-designed'. There does seem to be huge pockets of wealth in that city and the natural beauty of the area might have something to do with it. Vancouverites do seem to pay far more attention to what everything looks like right down to what shade of paint they use.

Judging by photos, it wouldn't surprise me at all if stuff in BC was nicer than in the neighbouring US state to the south. Elsewhere in Canada, the reverse is usually true. When I travel from New Brunswick to Maine, northern Ontario to northern Minnesota, etc. I've come to expect everything to be a little nicer .... and it is. Even in a border town I noticed a huge difference. Fort Frances, Ontario vs. International Falls, Minnesota? The Canadian side is more populated, but the US side is far prettier. Prettier houses, prettier roads, better selection of winter boots, better dressed people, it went on and on and on.

It got a little depressing after awhile, tbh.
__________________
ELBOWS UP CANADA, ELBOWS UP UKRAINE, ELBOWS UP GREENLAND
CANADA, EUROPE, NZ, AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, MEXICO STRONG

US REPUBLICANS/MAGA/ICE NOT WELCOME HERE, STAY OUT
     
     
  #3343  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 12:13 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I have a feeling that BC is an outlier in Canada. My architect friend from Vancouver describes the city as 'over-designed'. There does seem to be huge pockets of wealth in that city and the natural beauty of the area might have something to do with it. Vancouverites do seem to pay far more attention to what everything looks like right down to what shade of paint they use.

Judging by photos, it wouldn't surprise me at all if stuff in BC was nicer than in the neighbouring US state to the south. Elsewhere in Canada, the reverse is usually true. When I travel from New Brunswick to Maine, northern Ontario to northern Minnesota, etc. I've come to expect everything to be a little nicer .... and it is. Even in a border town I noticed a huge difference. Fort Frances, Ontario vs. International Falls, Minnesota? The Canadian side is more populated, but the US side is far prettier. Prettier houses, prettier roads, better selection of winter boots, better dressed people, it went on and on and on.

It got a little depressing after awhile, tbh.
It's another case of the extremes of the US. The nicer stuff is nicer, and the crappier stuff is crappier down there. Canada on the other hand tends to be very middling.

A lot of the border towns (even small ones) have decay on the level you just don't see in Canada. On the other hand they usually have more grandeur if you know where to look for it.

I find that, sometimes depending solely on sheer luck, many Canadians often come back with diametrically opposed opinions of the exact same places in the US. It's dependent on which part of town they ended up in.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
     
     
  #3344  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:04 PM
MonkeyRonin's Avatar
MonkeyRonin MonkeyRonin is offline
¥ ¥ ¥
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's very true, but you also see a difference when one goes from Canada to the US. 9 times out of 10 it's just a little bit nicer, a little bit cuter down south. That's true of houses, clothes, furniture, colour choices, the public realm.... absolutely everything you can think of.

What parallel universe America have you been visiting that it has better contemporary urban development and more tasteful fashion? The US has a legacy of big, grand cities than we do not and that it is reflected in their often impressive stock of historic architecture, but it has not followed that that has left a lasting design sensibility for the last many decades. Just look at the infill thread in City Discussions, for example, and compare that to what's going up across Canada. Aside from New York; Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary - even Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Halifax have had more attractive, better designed architecture & development than probably any other American city. Not even going to touch upon the way people dress...

I don't think Fort Frances and International Falls are particularly indicative of either nation.



Quote:
It will take many many generations before design matters to the population here. Giving someone a $100,000 salary doesn't accomplish that. Their kids probably won't care about design either. The kids of those kids might.

What an absolutely arrogant, elitist thing to say. Aesthetic sensibilities are not informed by wealth, inherited or otherwise.
__________________
     
     
  #3345  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:16 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Judging by photos, it wouldn't surprise me at all if stuff in BC was nicer than in the neighbouring US state to the south.
You would call Seattle nicer-looking than Vancouver? Wow. I've been through both cities, and to me it's not even close. Seattle has the downtown grandeur, the nice adjacent mid-rise neighbourhoods and a decent stock of prewar residential. As an urbanist I find it far, far nicer than Vancouver in just about every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Elsewhere in Canada, the reverse is usually true. When I travel from New Brunswick to Maine, northern Ontario to northern Minnesota, etc. I've come to expect everything to be a little nicer .... and it is. Even in a border town I noticed a huge difference. Fort Frances, Ontario vs. International Falls, Minnesota? The Canadian side is more populated, but the US side is far prettier. Prettier houses, prettier roads, better selection of winter boots, better dressed people, it went on and on and on.

It got a little depressing after awhile, tbh.
Let me get this straight: there's a noticeable difference in how people dress between International Falls and Fort Frances? Really?

I've never been there, but that seems really unlikely. Either way, move a bit west, and you find that Winnipeg is more sophisticated than Grand Forks or Fargo. Which isn't saying much, true, but still.
     
     
  #3346  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:35 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
PS, Victoria is the one area where you can replicate Western European styles with success because the climates are nearly the same.

And honestly, seeing how cute many of the older towns are in Eastern Canada on this forum, success also seems to have been made in Quebec and the Maritimes despite the climate.
You seem to have this narcissistic idea about a perceived architectural superiority in BC that is divorced from reality. Nowhere in the U.S. or Canada have "Western European styles" been replicated anywhere better than Quebec City and Montreal. There are no towns in BC that come close to the architectural wealth offered by towns in southern Ontario, notwithstanding how charming Nelson BC looks (and surely is).
     
     
  #3347  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 10:17 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
I was waiting for rousseau's negative response to me post, surprised it took him this long!

he can't let anything positive about BC (or anything positive west of Winnipeg) stand for too long....

Honestly I am not even going to bother to respond to him because you know he is always right!

But... if you noticed I said the I5 between the border and Seattle, not Seattle itself....and I never compared BC towns to Ontario towns, but BC towns to Washington towns, its a relative comparison here.

We know you love Seattle and Vancouver 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 (though if the two cities were reversed I am sure your opinion would be as well)

Sorry to get your tampon in a twist. ONTARIO ROCKS!
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #3348  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 11:53 PM
yaletown_fella yaletown_fella is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I have a feeling that BC is an outlier in Canada. My architect friend from Vancouver describes the city as 'over-designed'. There does seem to be huge pockets of wealth in that city and the natural beauty of the area might have something to do with it. Vancouverites do seem to pay far more attention to what everything looks like right down to what shade of paint they use.
I agree, but only regarding the public realm and landscaping. Private property is a different story.

In my experience people in Vancouver put less money into single family home/interior design than in Toronto. They're more concerned with upgrading to the latest Mercedes SUV and trips to whistler/back home.

I do door to door delivery as my day job and it never ceases to amaze me how many gorgeous homes/infill I come across in former middle class areas. South Scarborough, the North Beaches, Beaches proper, Parkview Hills, and even a pocket south of Main and Gerrard (full of huge Victorian mansions, looks like Yorkville! )
Ive only delivered to a small area in the east part of the city too. Im not even accounting for midtown and the upper class areas.

I should really put together a photo thread of where I deliver to. Low rise residential Toronto is where the city shines architecturally imo.
__________________
Supporter of Bill 23
     
     
  #3349  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 11:59 PM
SkahHigh's Avatar
SkahHigh SkahHigh is offline
More transit please
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I do door to door delivery as my day job and it never ceases to amaze me how many gorgeous homes/infill I come across in former middle class areas. South Scarborough, the North Beaches, Beaches proper, Parkview Hills, and even a pocket south of Main and Gerrard (full of huge Victorian mansions, looks like Yorkville! )
Ive only delivered to a small area in the east part of the city too. Im not even accounting for midtown and the upper class areas.

I should really put together a photo thread of where I deliver to. Low rise residential Toronto is where the city shines architecturally imo.
I agree. I stayed in Birch Cliff last year, walked around the area (Kingston, Gerrard) and was pleasantly surprised. I thought Scarborough wasn't attractive but I guess I was wrong...
     
     
  #3350  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 1:24 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Wow. I've been through both cities, and to me it's not even close. Seattle has the downtown grandeur, the nice adjacent mid-rise neighbourhoods and a decent stock of prewar residential. As an urbanist I find it far, far nicer than Vancouver in just about every way.
I always found DT Seattle and Vancouver pretty similar, at least architecturally speaking. Both seem to have a good mix of old and new. Outside of Ballard, the neighbourhoods out of DT seem fairly similar. Maybe you know Seattle better than I do though. Maybe some street view co-ordinates or shots to satisfy my curiosity. See if Vancouver can match.

Vancouver most certainly has a more vibrant DT than Seattle.
     
     
  #3351  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:31 AM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
The amazing, fantastic, blow your socks off, Downtown Oshawa!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Pic by me this afternoon.

BTW, the downtown core is the group of buildings in the background on the right. Makes Kitchener look like Manhattan, doesn't it?
great shot of Barcelona
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #3352  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:43 AM
Trans Canada's Avatar
Trans Canada Trans Canada is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 841

Last edited by Trans Canada; Dec 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM.
     
     
  #3353  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:54 AM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,496
whoa.... Ottawa has a pretty dense downtown... couple of 150m 200m would be amazing...!!!!!..
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.6 Million
     
     
  #3354  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:02 AM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,986
I would agree Vancouver has a lot of nice housing stock. I guess the main differences between the BC and Eastern mentalities is that in Vancouver beautiful houses are seen as nothing more than something to tear down. As an ugly monster house waiting to happen or a condo just begging to get built.

I thanks god Vancouverites aren't in charge of Montreal or Toronto or Old Montreal/Plateau/Annex/Cabbagetown would have been laid waste by now and filled with sterile glass towers or monster houses that no one lives in.

Vancouver certainly has some lovely houses..........a shame it's just temporary.
     
     
  #3355  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:06 AM
Bcasey25raptor's Avatar
Bcasey25raptor Bcasey25raptor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver Suburbs
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I always found DT Seattle and Vancouver pretty similar, at least architecturally speaking. Both seem to have a good mix of old and new. Outside of Ballard, the neighbourhoods out of DT seem fairly similar. Maybe you know Seattle better than I do though. Maybe some street view co-ordinates or shots to satisfy my curiosity. See if Vancouver can match.

Vancouver most certainly has a more vibrant DT than Seattle.
I live in vancouver and I have been to seattle several times.

I found seattle was more vibrant, knew what it was and what it was trying to be, felt like a large city in urban design, and was overall prettier.

Vancouver is a Seattle try hard. Nothing wrong eith that but our obsession with finding an identity has made us emulate our Washington sister to the south.

Seattle is the best city in North America in my opinion, so calling vancouver a Seattle clone isn't an insult.
__________________
River District Big Government progressive
~ Just Watch me
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau
     
     
  #3356  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:10 AM
Razor Razor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,033
^ yes great shots of Ottawa..Thanks for posting Trans Canada..

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
whoa.... Ottawa has a pretty dense downtown... couple of 150m 200m would be amazing...!!!!!..
Yes, Ottawa does have some nice density..A couple of 150-200m certainly would stick out here..

Last edited by Razor; Dec 22, 2014 at 4:24 AM.
     
     
  #3357  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:31 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I live in vancouver and I have been to seattle several times.

I found seattle was more vibrant, knew what it was and what it was trying to be, felt like a large city in urban design, and was overall prettier.

Vancouver is a Seattle try hard. Nothing wrong eith that but our obsession with finding an identity has made us emulate our Washington sister to the south.

Seattle is the best city in North America in my opinion, so calling vancouver a Seattle clone isn't an insult.
Well, let's see. Vancouver certainly went in a different direction as far as transportation planning goes. We turned our back on freeways and instead focused on building a fantastic suburban rail system. This probably made for an easier path to high density development downtown as well as making it easier to connect to the waterfront. All those things Seattle has just started to work on in the last decade or two. Seattle finally started building their LINK into downtown. More residents are moving downtown. Seattle's DT population is around 65 000 over 3.2 sq miles. Not bad, but still far behind DT Vancouver which has over twice the population density. The Alaska Way Viaduct is coming down so the city can better connect with the waterfront. Next Seattle will be doing TOD's like Vancouver. Seattle's a great city, but they are without a doubt taking urban design cues from Vancouver.

More vibrant? I suppose that's debatable. But which city has more people out on the streets on a Tuesday night?
     
     
  #3358  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:52 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
he can't let anything positive about BC (or anything positive west of Winnipeg) stand for too long....
I was responding to your bizarre contention that "Victoria is the one area where you can replicate Western European styles with success because the climates are nearly the same."

It was a breathtaking statement to make on an urbanist website. It was so unhinged and divorced from reality that someone was bound to contradict you.
     
     
  #3359  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:02 AM
vincefort vincefort is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sherbrooke
Posts: 195
[IMG][/IMG]

Great shot from Paul Eifert on flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28372308@N06/15454362874/
     
     
  #3360  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:29 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,936
Un classique, mais on ne se lasse jamais.
__________________
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ==> 9 050 000
MONTREAL METRO ==> 4 600 000
QUEBEC CITY METRO ==> 900 000
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.