^ Am taking a guess, but at least in terms of technology, Canada was at the forefront of housing research. I believe the
rainscreen is invented in Canada. So, what happened? A lot of research funding cuts over the year, the CMHC (canadian housing and mortgage Corporation,) is being ( I think) phased out at the moment and a lot of other National Research institutions related to construction no longer exist either.
We used to have the R2000 Standards, and Energuide for homes (envy of the world in terms of energy efficient housing standards,) but I do not think these are used anymore.
When you look at places that have good buildings, it is not that they have very creative architects. The country invest more in research, regarding durability, health of occupants, energy efficiency. I think a product of that may be better housing.
Generally, North America is lagging behind Europe.
ps: Rainscreen basically means the facade of the building acts as a first defense against water, but we accept that water will get in, so the air cavity behind the wall serves both as a drainage cavity (for obvious reasons), and a pressure equalization chamber. So, by having an air cavity, the pressure on the outside + inside equalizes, thus it reduces the chances of rain coming in because of differences in pressure.