HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #921  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:32 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
With Finca and soon the Kingfisher project, that intersection is going to be one of our sexiest. Photo update on the Seasons at Denver Street. A lot of nice stuff happening in our fair city!
     
     
  #922  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:47 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I also heard a rumor that the group that is renovating the former Shilo Inn have acquired adjacent properties on Pierpont and 200 South to build a second hotel on the site. I don't know very much about it. I'll try and dig something up.
I heard this also. At first I thought it was just a rumor but it's coming from more credible sources now. The latest rumor I heard was that it's going to be a Marriott. I also heard they plan on making the parking garage behind the Shilo taller and building a new one between the Shilo (Holiday Inn Express) and the new proposed hotel.
     
     
  #923  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:45 AM
Merewether's Avatar
Merewether Merewether is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 8410*
Posts: 201
1100 East 1300 South corner

Finca announced this summer they were moving to West 2nd South (place that was a Thai restaurant on south side of street about 330 west). I think I read that some long hours cafe type was taking over Finca spot but can't find a source for that. For that matter, current Finca page doesn't mention move but it was reported in various local foodie blogs a couple months ago.

Last edited by Merewether; Nov 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM. Reason: Typo
     
     
  #924  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:48 AM
jmonkey's Avatar
jmonkey jmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,034
What properties on Pierpont and 200 South do you think they are talking about? Because there really isn't much there that I would like to see meet the wrecking ball. Those sections have retained quite a bit of historic charm and continued use. Now, if it's the parking lot on Pierpont and West Temple, I am all for it!
     
     
  #925  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 6:25 AM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merewether View Post


Finca announced this summer they were moving to West 2nd South (place that was a Thai restaurant on south side of street about 330 west). I think I read that some long hours cafe type was taking over Finca spot but can't find a source for that. For that matter, current Finca page doesn't mention move but it was reported in various local foodie blogs a couple months ago.
I have heard that Finca will be moving as well, but the owners will keep their current location for a brunch style restaurant.
     
     
  #926  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 11:31 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
It's a nice design, but very rigid. There's no direct paved path to the door. People will be cutting through the grass in their heels and nice shoes or go very awkwardly around the grass in one of the diagonal paths. This is when the community needs to have a voice. Designers can easily be struck by their geometric strictness that distracts them from actual user ability.
Very much agree Orlando. The greenery makeover is needed and welcome, but your right. I'm going to assume if they don't catch that access faux paux now, they'll definitely end up having to add the direct access path in later.

Hopefully, some of the decision making lurkers who frequent this forum will take this up with responsible parties.

Abravanel Hall Courtyard


     
     
  #927  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 12:52 PM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486


I think the water feature was removed to discourage the street residence population from using it for bathing purposes. Just like the city removing the park benches from Pioneer park to keep them from sleeping and camping around them. As far as not having a direct pathway to the main entrance, I do not think the street walkers and panhandlers will complain much.

Seriously, they should reconsider the layout and pathways of this plaza to be more functional.
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #928  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 4:19 PM
SL,UT's Avatar
SL,UT SL,UT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westshire, WVC
Posts: 136
That park is cute.......
     
     
  #929  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 4:22 PM
jubguy3's Avatar
jubguy3 jubguy3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 984
Until a huge brown line gets trampled through it...
     
     
  #930  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 5:08 PM
Old&New's Avatar
Old&New Old&New is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Pardon Our Dust: Abravanel Hall Plaza Construction

Traci Grant - October

http://www.utahsymphony.org/blog/2014/10/pardon-our-dust-abravanel-hall-plaza-construction/

The plaza in front of Abravanel Hall is getting a much needed makeover this year. Most of the concrete and the fountain in the front will be removed to make way for new greenery, sidewalks and walkways. The new plans call for better lighting and sign fixtures as well as grey and white concrete with accents in warm tones including browns and gold.


Abravanel Hall Courtyard




This does mean that access to the plaza and east entrance to the lobby will be cut off until Spring 2015. A safety fence will stretch along South Temple, West Temple and the lawn, removing access through the front doors. Fortunately, there’s more than one way to enter Abravanel Hall. There are three entrances to the lobby of Abravanel Hall. To enter directly into the lobby and bypass the congestion at the ticket office, go up the stairs near the ticket office and enter through the doors on the lobby’s west side. Another option is the main entrance to the ticket office, which can be found on the north side, with access from South Temple. If you already have your tickets and want to avoid the stairs by taking the elevator, we recommend going down the alley on the west side of the building entering through the west doors. The UTA Temple Square Trax stop is located right across from Abravanel Hall and there is a crosswalk to the west that will take you directly to the entrances which will be open. If you have difficulties walking or navigating, we suggest that you park near the Salt Palace or at the Plaza Hotel.


.
Wow, just terrible!
     
     
  #931  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 10:21 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Wow, just terrible!
I agree. That Abravanel Hall plaza design is horrible. All of the focus & access points of foot traffic are in the wrong places. The main doors to the Hall are completely ignored in this concept. Who thought this design up? They obviously didn't go to Planning 101. Or at least chose to completely ignore the basics of planning and functionality.
     
     
  #932  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 10:26 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
     
     
  #933  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 5:01 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
It's like a big Christmas gift waiting to be unwrapped!!!
Shilo-be-gone by ajiu0, on Flickr
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #934  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:02 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
It's nice to see some urban residential infill to that area. I wish there was more residential mixed-use filling in around the ballpark.
     
     
  #935  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 4:21 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
I wonder how long it will last as Senior Housing. The Mercer, that was built on 3rd South was originally Senior Housing, but they're leasing them as regular units now. And that was built like two or three years ago.
     
     
  #936  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:41 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Does anyone know why megaplex 12 at gateway is no longer showing IMAX movies in the planetarium IMAX?

P.S. The remodel at the theater has been kind of underwhelming. They restained the concrete floors in the lobby, New carpet in the halls, New dividers in the restrooms, New lighting sconces in the theaters, they replaced the CRT televisions with LCD, and added some rumble seats.

They didn't really do anything to update the look of the place, it looks like megaplex is not adding the nicer leather seats like they did at Jordan Commons. That is unfortunate because the seats there are really old and need to be replaced badly. Auditorium one should be converted into a Dolby Atmos autatorium like the one at west valley. Then they should close out three of the auditoriums.... And convert the space into a large IMAX like the one at West Valley.. Including some reclining seating... And a smaller VIP auditorium like the one Jordan Commons... And they could spruce up the hallways in the auditorium entrances a little bit... Add all leather seating like their other theaters... Rebrand of the place megaplex 11
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #937  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 1:40 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Been a while since a walked the north end of gateway... Didn't know forever 21 closed..

I took a tour of gameworks.... They also got the empty lot to the south of them and expanded the arcade quite a bit
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!

Last edited by ajiuO; Nov 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM.
     
     
  #938  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:56 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post


I think the water feature was removed to discourage the street residence population from using it for bathing purposes. Just like the city removing the park benches from Pioneer park to keep them from sleeping and camping around them. As far as not having a direct pathway to the main entrance, I do not think the street walkers and panhandlers will complain much.

Seriously, they should reconsider the layout and pathways of this plaza to be more functional.

The feature was removed because there was mechanical issues, and the cost to fix it was not viable, plus they wanted more of a useable plaza. While this design is probably more usable, I agree with what many of you have said, horrible layout of pathways. Ever since I was a kid I loved that fountain, and I've run through it a time in two in the past. I do wish it had been repaired, I am always a huge fan of water features, I think they, more than almost anything, capture the eye of those passing by.
     
     
  #939  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:02 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I like the renderings of the new Ball Park Apartments, nice addition, architecturally to the area. I'm not sure it will add much new pedestrian traffic or vibrancy, but I guess it's a start.
     
     
  #940  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 8:07 PM
asies1981 asies1981 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,173
Photo update for the Hope Lodge at 100 South and 400 East. This project feels big, even though it is just three floors.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.