Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote
It's mostly industrial wasteland decorated with ugly power lines. The streets, most devoid of sidewalks, are completely dead and public safety at night would be a major concern of mine. I don't get it.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy
Personally I just like how the area feels - the reused industrial buildings have history and are just cool looking, I like the odd street layout.... And it just has a cool, mellow vibe.
|
An interesting example of how individualized & personalized tastes & perceptions are! that's why I think dtla will finally have reached an optimum level when the opinions of most ppl converge in the middle.....with the city dwellers & visitors who like hipster reality grit & grunge finding enough to keep them happy in dtla, while the city dwellers & visitors who are more into euro type quaintness or tokyo type newness find enough in dtla to keep them happy too.
the stories about the snazzing up of the little tokyo mall & its proposed neighboring apt proj, the arts proj retail ctr, & the revival of the glass tower.....now that's a blast from the past!.....along with all the other projs underway or soon to be underway....combined with the opening of new stores & restaurants & other types of businesses, & art museums too.....& maybe even a sports stadium too?.....are proof positive that this is an exciting time in the history of dtla.
I sure wish this had been the LA of my youth.
btw, I was in the little tokyo mall several months ago & its exterior, while not all that welcoming.....which is why the new message boards should help.....isn't really the big sticking point. The bigger issue is there is too much retail space INSIDE the bldg & not enough customers for all that space originally built over 20 yrs ago.
I wish some of it could be converted into housing, although I don't know if many ppl would want to live in an apt without windows on one side & looking into the corridors of a mall on the other side. however, there is a bit of liveliness with the bowling alley & sports bars upstairs, at least on fridays & weekends, & some of the restaurants & grocery store do well. Perhaps as the arts district grows, including things like the new one santa fe apt proj a few blocks away, the hood & all the space in that mall will finally be a good fit for each other.
I noticed some updated renderings of the whole foods apt proj at 8th & grand were posted by blackcat to the other city skyscraper website & I'm surprised he hasn't posted them here....even more so since I've never seen them before & was under the impression that the original artwork was pretty much the way the final devlpt would look like. I guess since the proj has moved at such a glacial pace, the owner has had the luxury of time to allow the architects to redo their work....or presumably something like that.
theagencyre.com
archinect.com
archinect.com
archinect.com
archinect.com
archinect.com