HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4601  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 3:59 PM
Kingofthehill's Avatar
Kingofthehill Kingofthehill is offline
International
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oslo
Posts: 4,046
"NoArDi" and "SoArDi" sound ridiculous, even if meant as a joke. I seriously hope nobody refers to the Arts District using such silly names.

That project, though, is sweet. For a city that builds probably the best, most-cutting edge SFHs and rich people bunkers around, LA's mixed-use stuff is generally pretty crappy. To be sure, parking requirements can easily weigh a project down, but alot of it comes from a lack of good taste among developers (and the people who buy these shitboxes). IMO, the average person in Oslo or Copenhagen or whatever has a better understanding of good design, and demands it accordingly. The Orange County, Irvine Spectrum-esque tan/biege stucco developments you see springing up everywhere simply wouldn't sell or be considered palatable in Scandinavia.
     
     
  #4602  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:14 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
More Broadway retail rumors in this LA Weekly article about the Ace Hotel
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/06...d-driving-downtowns-gentrification-video
Seriously, if DTLA gets a Bloomingdales, I will stand on my head by my desk and whistle Dixie while juggling tomatoes. I think its real estate agent hyperbole but if it happens, it will be one of the major coups of the 21st century!
     
     
  #4603  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:26 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Seriously, if DTLA gets a Bloomingdales, I will stand on my head by my desk and whistle Dixie while juggling tomatoes. I think its real estate agent hyperbole but if it happens, it will be one of the major coups of the 21st century!
Yeah, it would be a great thing. I wonder if this fits in to the persistent May Co building rumors...
     
     
  #4604  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:37 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Yeah, it's a good quick read. On the renter thing though, here's the quote:
Developers say younger adults, many saddled with student debt and delaying marriage, are likely to remain renters for the foreseeable future.
So if they're saddled with debt, and jobs are scarce, how are they going to afford rents in these new buildings? They're banking on millennials, but if they fall through that may discourage development instead of adjusting the type of units offered. Ok - I'm done harping on this for now.

And anybody else think 472k for a Barker Block unit isn't that bad? I can't afford it, but that seems reasonable given how nice the units and the immediate area are.
We can see why they would rather rent that own just by looking at the Barker block sale which by your own admission is a very good price for DTLA. First the typical down in this market is 20%. That would be $94K for the BB condo. Most don't have the down so that kicks them out of the running right from the getgo even if they could afford the monthly nut.

But lets assume they do have the down. Then there is the mo. P and I, taxes, insurance and condo dues.......we're talking roughly $2000-2200 per month. Not by much but its still cheaper to rent in a place like JIA even if you bought one of the more inexpensive condos like in the Barker Block. And forget about it when it comes to the more expensive condos DT. Then there's all the negativity surrounding home ownership in the past few years coupled with the fact they don't know know how long they will be staying in their job or even in LA.

So I think its just easier for them to rent. And remember when people are like in their early 20s......its all about cutting edge imagery. What's more cutting edge than DTLA in the 21st century. I think that's why the DT rental market is fairly strong.
     
     
  #4605  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:40 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Yeah, it would be a great thing. I wonder if this fits in to the persistent May Co building rumors...
Even if it doesn't happen, just the fact that an agent has the cojones to say it signals that DTLA has arrived.......at least to me.
     
     
  #4606  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 4:51 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Even if it doesn't happen, just the fact that an agent has the cojones to say it signals that DTLA has arrived.......at least to me.
I'm psyched about the idea of Bloomingdales, but I'd go with "arriving". The talk of Bloomingdales doesn't have a ton of practical impact and at times this feels more like marketing than anything else. I still had to dodge a freaking lunatic this morning who was lighting stuff on fire on 5th st. Crazy enough that the Pershing Sq security guys were calling the cops. And he wasn't even the only insane guy in a half-block stretch.
     
     
  #4607  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:27 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Francisco is getting realigned? And what is that in the corner?
     
     
  #4608  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 6:28 PM
Mojeda101's Avatar
Mojeda101 Mojeda101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DTLA
Posts: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Seriously, if DTLA gets a Bloomingdales, I will stand on my head by my desk and whistle Dixie while juggling tomatoes. I think its real estate agent hyperbole but if it happens, it will be one of the major coups of the 21st century!
It would be GAMECHANGER. I can see them moving into the Geoff Palmer site across the street from Ace. If not I suppose the only other building with such a massive amount of floor space would have to be May Co. There are so many rumors of retailers coming into Broadway I can't stand it. Bloomingdales, Gucci, J Crew, Banana Republic, GAP..We are truly going to be a real retail center in the immediate future. Make it happen...We need this.
     
     
  #4609  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 7:56 PM
LosAngelesDreamin LosAngelesDreamin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson View Post
Guys, it's Zara. They're a mass market retailer.
So?? they have amazing clothes haha i love Zara.
     
     
  #4610  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 8:04 PM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
More Broadway retail rumors in this LA Weekly article about the Ace Hotel
hahahhaha the last thing downtown needs is Gucci, but I'll take the Bloomingdales (even if I wish it was something a little more edgy like Dover Street Market). My guess is that they are looking at the retail space at the May Co building.
     
     
  #4611  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 8:11 PM
Eightball's Avatar
Eightball Eightball is offline
life is good
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: all over
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Yeah, it's a good quick read. On the renter thing though, here's the quote:
Developers say younger adults, many saddled with student debt and delaying marriage, are likely to remain renters for the foreseeable future.
So if they're saddled with debt, and jobs are scarce, how are they going to afford rents in these new buildings? They're banking on millennials, but if they fall through that may discourage development instead of adjusting the type of units offered. Ok - I'm done harping on this for now.
1) The cumulative numbers of DTLA new construction is still quite small in comparison to the 20 million plus CSA
2) Plenty of people graduate from college with no student loan debt (tons of wealthy boomers who take care of their children like that)
3) Plenty of people graduating from the very prestigious CA (Standford, Berkeley, UCLA Cal Tech etc) universities (or elsewhere) who even if they have student debt, will have very high incomes.
     
     
  #4612  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 8:26 PM
bjornson's Avatar
bjornson bjornson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn NYC
Posts: 622
LOL. Not to talk about the retail side of things again but thought the Zara thing was over. When you want to compare Zara to Gucci (eh) as far as prestige goes then you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
hahahhaha the last thing downtown needs is Gucci, but I'll take the Bloomingdales (even if I wish it was something a little more edgy like Dover Street Market). My guess is that they are looking at the retail space at the May Co building.
But re: Bloomingdale's, the size they're looking for (170,000 sq ft) is roughly the size of the new stores they're constructing now (100,000 for selling, 70,000 operations/logistics give or take). I don't know Broadway sq footages that well. I could see Gucci having a concession in a Bloomingdale's providing an anchor in pedestrian traffic. Bloomingdale's is a boring retailer overall as they buy the worst of the collections. Mainstream retailer's when looking at LA are too conventional and place themselves in the more reliable real estate (remember the debuts of H&M, Topshop, and the forthcoming Uniqlo). DSM would never come to Broadway or that stretch. It's all about isolation for them.
     
     
  #4613  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 10:22 PM
LA/OCman's Avatar
LA/OCman LA/OCman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
We can see why they would rather rent that own just by looking at the Barker block sale which by your own admission is a very good price for DTLA. First the typical down in this market is 20%. That would be $94K for the BB condo. Most don't have the down so that kicks them out of the running right from the getgo even if they could afford the monthly nut.

But lets assume they do have the down. Then there is the mo. P and I, taxes, insurance and condo dues.......we're talking roughly $2000-2200 per month. Not by much but its still cheaper to rent in a place like JIA even if you bought one of the more inexpensive condos like in the Barker Block. And forget about it when it comes to the more expensive condos DT. Then there's all the negativity surrounding home ownership in the past few years coupled with the fact they don't know know how long they will be staying in their job or even in LA.

So I think its just easier for them to rent. And remember when people are like in their early 20s......its all about cutting edge imagery. What's more cutting edge than DTLA in the 21st century. I think that's why the DT rental market is fairly strong.
My experience with buyers Downtown is that the demographic is really older than people in their 20's. Off the top of my head, many of the buyers I know are: USC/UCLA professors, photographers, small business owners, lawyers, artists, entertainers, police/firefighters, designers, bankers, empty nesters. The demographics for renters definitely fits the young, urban pioneers in their 20's. I would say the average buyer is in their 30's and 40's and quite a few in the over 50 crowd. Also, many local people are moving DT from other parts of LA and OC. The buyers are also predominately white, asian and fewer latino and african american. Do others agree? I believe the overall demographics DTLA are 25% white, 25% asian, 25% latino and 25% african american (for the 54,000 residents).

I think now you are also seeing those who moved Downtown in the past 5 or 6 years as renters and are now looking to own. I hope we see more people owning in the future.
     
     
  #4614  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 10:24 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
I'm psyched about the idea of Bloomingdales, but I'd go with "arriving". The talk of Bloomingdales doesn't have a ton of practical impact and at times this feels more like marketing than anything else. I still had to dodge a freaking lunatic this morning who was lighting stuff on fire on 5th st. Crazy enough that the Pershing Sq security guys were calling the cops. And he wasn't even the only insane guy in a half-block stretch.
What's interesting is that Bloomingdale's is owned by Macy's. If its true they are thinking of DTLA, then Macy's must envision a huge expansion of the retail market downtown.
     
     
  #4615  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 10:25 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It would be GAMECHANGER. I can see them moving into the Geoff Palmer site across the street from Ace. If not I suppose the only other building with such a massive amount of floor space would have to be May Co. There are so many rumors of retailers coming into Broadway I can't stand it. Bloomingdales, Gucci, J Crew, Banana Republic, GAP..We are truly going to be a real retail center in the immediate future. Make it happen...We need this.
Definitely a game changer. They might consider the old Robinson's store on 7th across from Macy's.
     
     
  #4616  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:08 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
My experience with buyers Downtown is that the demographic is really older than people in their 20's. Off the top of my head, many of the buyers I know are: USC/UCLA professors, photographers, small business owners, lawyers, artists, entertainers, police/firefighters, designers, bankers, empty nesters. The demographics for renters definitely fits the young, urban pioneers in their 20's. I would say the average buyer is in their 30's and 40's and quite a few in the over 50 crowd. Also, many local people are moving DT from other parts of LA and OC. The buyers are also predominately white, asian and fewer latino and african american. Do others agree? I believe the overall demographics DTLA are 25% white, 25% asian, 25% latino and 25% african american (for the 54,000 residents).

I think now you are also seeing those who moved Downtown in the past 5 or 6 years as renters and are now looking to own. I hope we see more people owning in the future.
I felt that way about the age groups when I first moved to downtown about 3 years ago, but now it feels like it's skewing a lot younger. I know that's anecdotal, but I've seen a lot of the >35 crowd leave our building and be replaced by 25-30 or so. And just generally around town it feels that way too.
     
     
  #4617  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:55 AM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
My experience with buyers Downtown is that the demographic is really older than people in their 20's.
Yeah, I was talking about renters in their 20s.

Quote:
Also, many local people are moving DT from other parts of LA and OC. The buyers are also predominately white, asian and fewer latino and african american. Do others agree? I believe the overall demographics DTLA are 25% white, 25% asian, 25% latino and 25% african american (for the 54,000 residents).
No doubt local people are moving DT, but I don't know the demographic breakdown by race.

Quote:
I think now you are also seeing those who moved Downtown in the past 5 or 6 years as renters and are now looking to own. I hope we see more people owning in the future.
That makes sense.
     
     
  #4618  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 2:14 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
More Broadway retail rumors in this LA Weekly article about the Ace Hotel
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/06...d-driving-downtowns-gentrification-video
that's a very interesting article, but not so much on what it may hint at regarding bloomies, but at what some of its key quotes....or at least 2 of them, suggest about both a brighter future for broadway but also why the status quo....of all the horrible swapmeets....has had such a surprising endurance.

Quote:
Ali Krasfy, the Lebanese-immigrant owner of Family Pants between Fourth and Fifth streets, sells items such as Dickies jeans at extreme discounts. He's closing, having lost customers to Ross Dress for Less, which arrived next door last year. Despite being forced to move, Krasfy is excited about the changes on Broadway.

"I'm from Beirut, and there's not even gum on the street there," Krasfy says. "But people come here and say, 'This is downtown Los Angeles?!' It's disgusting and embarrassing. It's the end for us little guys here, but all in all, the changes are good."

Steve Needleman, a key property owner on Broadway and landlord of the new Aesop and Tanner Goods stores, says, "I could have leased to five pieces of — that would've paid more than Aesop, but that's not what I wanted." One check-cashing company was on a monthly contract, for example, "and when I found a good fit for a replacement, I accepted."
the owner of family pants, even though his store looks fairly rumpled, may have more class than some of the slumlords on broadway who couldn't care less about the transformation of the street....& who've allowed their bldgs to go into a steep decline for yrs & yrs. All the while....as one of the street's better landlords, steve needleman, describes is his own experience....having the ability to rake in cash by renting to all the 'pieces of —' that apparently line up for a space on broadway. If correct, what will it take for the swapmeets to finally give up & go elsewhere??!



Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
I still had to dodge a freaking lunatic this morning who was lighting stuff on fire on 5th st. Crazy enough that the Pershing Sq security guys were calling the cops. And he wasn't even the only insane guy in a half-block stretch.
When I mentioned earlier today the need to place new devlpt in the full, total context of dtla overall, I didn't even mention the type of problem you ran into.

Some ppl may or may not dislike new apt projs like Ava as thoroughly as you do, but just about all ppl in general will be totally turned off by the craziness you described. That would include ppl like the Lebanese owner of family pants, who probably won't be quite as aware of the quality of architecture of new projs in dtla, but who will be fully aware of why broadway is, as he says, disgusting & embarrassing.

The bigger picture & the full context of things are important.

Actually, that's why the possibility of the old may co bldg, now the broadway trade ctr, being converted into a future home for yahoo.com is actually more exciting to me than what I'd consider a very pie in the sky dream: the possibility of bloomingdales taking over that same space.....at least before the year 2040 or 2090.

for bloomies to feel dtla will support it's rather pricey offerings, it will want the hood to contain or lure in thousands & thousands & thousands....& thousands....of rather higher income women....of serious minded, dedicated female shoppers. Are there many of those types, or enough of them, in dtla on a daily basis?

Perhaps there will be when dozens & dozens & dozens....& dozens...of additional new apt & condo projs are added to the hood. That's what immediately comes to mind when I'm reading about, as one example, the planned apt bldg on broadway sponsored by GH palmer, & not just on whether his proj's architectural design will be wonderful enough.
     
     
  #4619  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 3:44 PM
bobcat bobcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,791
The Boston Globe reports that LA, SF, DC, and Boston have made the USOC's short list of candidates to be the US bid for the 2024 games.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/06...ympics/K5EyOKkSWisfXySpNujZWI/story.html
     
     
  #4620  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 4:01 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,445
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/littl...69a900e-f28a-11e3-b84d-001a4bcf887a.html

Little Tokyo Mall to Get Major Upgrades



Quote:
The Little Tokyo Galleria has been decried by Downtowners for nearly three decades. Area residents and workers have complained about the exterior of the hulking gray structure, frequently comparing it to a fortress and saying that it doesn’t fit with the vibrant community.

Now, the Korean-American investors who bought the mall six years ago are responding. Green construction wrapping has gone up, and the team is orchestrating a new exterior look.

Designs for the exterior renovation show large, rectangular LED light boards, which will cast a decorative glow at night, on walls along Alameda and Third streets. The walls will also receive articulated metallic panels to give the exterior texture. A sprinkling of slender vertical LED lights and new lighted signage, including for street-adjacent businesses such as cream puff vendor Beard Papa’s, round out the upgrades.

The work won’t stop there. Kim said the Galleria’s owners are securing entitlements to develop a residential building with street-level retail on a current surface parking lot at the northwest corner of Fourth and Alameda streets. Construction could begin as soon as the first quarter of 2015, he added. No other timeline, budget or design details were revealed.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.