HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Chicago Projects & Construction Forum  • Chicago Highrise Developments Map


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14081  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:13 PM
guesswho guesswho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Their 'plan' could be referring to sitting back and watching as Kelleher and Atlas deal falls through (as I'm sure many people expect to happen), then they get the site, no?
Well, yea, that too, but I meant more along the lines of having the impression that they have already been allocating employees/resources to get the ball rolling for (eventual) development on day T+0 if/ever they receive the site.


.................
What's wrong with Robert Stern???? Doesn't he design classical/traditional ultra high end buildings in NYC like 15 Central Park West, 520 Park Avenue, and 220 Central Park South?

Last edited by guesswho; Apr 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM.
     
     
  #14082  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:36 PM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, God NO!!!!!! God!!!!


This is where I really need Ch.G, Ch.G to come in with one of those clips - I'm thinking maybe from The Office: Michael Scott's reaction to when Toby suddently reappears in the office after his misadventures in Central America.....

Come to think of it - Robert AM Stern is like the Toby Flenderson (at least in Michael's eyes!) of the design world - just a horrible, haggardly old, boring mega-douchebag, and it shows in his work - in spades........with that stated, if it is indeed him, I wonder if there's a chance for this particular site he could go off-style and maybe even do something 'of our day'??
LOL you mean you don't want a Limestone Jesus for Chicago? I don't think he is terrible I think he just doesn't take any design risks. He emphasizes context way more than most... but at least he does that well.
     
     
  #14083  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:54 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
^^ You actually just answered you're own question!
     
     
  #14084  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:24 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
LOL you mean you don't want a Limestone Jesus for Chicago? I don't think he is terrible I think he just doesn't take any design risks. He emphasizes context way more than most... but at least he does that well.
Well context at that location would be to build an all glass tower considering there is almost nothing old in the area except the River East Arts building.
     
     
  #14085  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:41 PM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Well context at that location would be to build an all glass tower considering there is almost nothing old in the area except the River East Arts building.
I realize that. I was just making a joke in reference to what Stern is most known for.
     
     
  #14086  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:52 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Come to think of it - Robert AM Stern is like the Toby Flenderson (at least in Michael's eyes!) of the design world - just a horrible, haggardly old, boring mega-douchebag, and it shows in his work - in spades........with that stated, if it is indeed him, I wonder if there's a chance for this particular site he could go off-style and maybe even do something 'of our day'??
First, Stern is not 100% committed to traditional design... people forget that he did Comcast Center in Philly and Tour Carpe Diem in Paris.

Second, the work he does (while often traditional) is usually lightyears ahead of Lucien Lagrange and his ilk in Chicago. We've had this conversation comparing the two before... Stern is one architect who actually has a lot of experience using traditional materials like brick and limestone on a large scale, and doesn't constantly resort to beige precast and jumbo brick.

IF you accept that there is a market for traditional design and IF you accept that there will always be some developers who build traditional styles, THEN Stern is exactly the kind of architect who should be doing the design.

For a good idea of what Stern will do in Chicago, just check out what he did for some of Related's recent projects in New York. Not a lot of masterpieces but solid, attractive buildings that fit into warehouse districts like Chelsea and Flatiron.
     
     
  #14087  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:03 PM
StormFire StormFire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
John Buck to present office proposal to panel

April 15, 2014

The Chicago Plan Commission is scheduled to consider Chicago-based John Buck Co.'s proposed 35-story office tower at 151 N. Franklin St. at its April 23 meeting, according to a legal notice. To build the John Ronan-designed structure, Buck agreed to buy a parcel at Franklin and Randolph streets, as well as development rights, from Chicago-based InterPark Holdings Inc.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestat...fice-proposal-to-panel?r=2883H3247467E8W
The Walgreens at Franklin and Randolph has signs up inside saying they lost their lease and have to be out by June 6 or so.
     
     
  #14088  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 7:33 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormFire View Post
The Walgreens at Franklin and Randolph has signs up inside saying they lost their lease and have to be out by June 6 or so.
But where will we park the Cadillacs ?

Sept-2013
     
     
  #14089  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 8:50 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
IF you accept that there is a market for [crap] and IF you accept that there will always be some developers who build [crap], THEN Stern is exactly the kind of architect who should be doing the [crap].
I cannot.
     
     
  #14090  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 5:54 AM
denizen467 denizen467 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,212
I'm not so sure Stern will do a traditional or stone-clad tower at that location; I would lean towards one of his modern designs. First, the caissons have already been sunk and the footprint already decided, so he's got a pretty small rectangle onto which the 50 stories will be stacked. This leaves no room for setbacks or other massing manipulations that make traditional/stone buildings look nice (like his 15 CPW). Second, because the likely result is a sheer-vertical-wall box, a stone-clad tower of that kind of massing would seem a little out of place in that neighborhood, surrounded by sleek glass boxes. His 30 Park Place looks a little like the Park Hyatt tower here, and I think that wouldn't have an impressive impact in glassy Streeterville. I could picture a small podium there involving a lot of stone, harmonious with River East Art Center and 474 LSD across the street, but a tower portion with no or limited stone. I guess this begs the question of why one would bring RAMSA in from NY to design a mostly-glass tower, but between the podium, interiors, and detailing on the tower being handled by him, it could end up being a powerful marketing message. Besides, maybe they cut a deal on his fees based on other lucrative projects Related has done with him in NY?
     
     
  #14091  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:11 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
I'm really worried we're just going to be getting more if his signature business class postmodernism. There's nothing in the portfolio to suggest otherwise for a residential tower. Otherwise, 15 CPW does NOT look nice. The top massing is just absurd. It looks like a masturbatory chamber. You might as well live on the set of Spartacus.
     
     
  #14092  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:50 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I'm not so sure Stern will do a traditional or stone-clad tower at that location; I would lean towards one of his modern designs. First, the caissons have already been sunk and the footprint already decided, so he's got a pretty small rectangle onto which the 50 stories will be stacked. This leaves no room for setbacks or other massing manipulations that make traditional/stone buildings look nice (like his 15 CPW). Second, because the likely result is a sheer-vertical-wall box, a stone-clad tower of that kind of massing would seem a little out of place in that neighborhood, surrounded by sleek glass boxes. His 30 Park Place looks a little like the Park Hyatt tower here, and I think that wouldn't have an impressive impact in glassy Streeterville. I could picture a small podium there involving a lot of stone, harmonious with River East Art Center and 474 LSD across the street, but a tower portion with no or limited stone. I guess this begs the question of why one would bring RAMSA in from NY to design a mostly-glass tower, but between the podium, interiors, and detailing on the tower being handled by him, it could end up being a powerful marketing message. Besides, maybe they cut a deal on his fees based on other lucrative projects Related has done with him in NY?
Well, hold onto yer butts...because it is R.A.M.S. (great name for a gay leather bar - I'd probably go there) and even though I haven't seen the final design yet, I was told it's a rather simple design - no frills, few setbacks, but with his signature (slightly off-white, NON beige) pre-cast. If I'm allowed to post renderings in the next few weeks I will, otherwise I'm sure spyguy will be posting something soon enough for us to loathe...or like
     
     
  #14093  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:52 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Also, does anyone have any info on the John Buck/John Ronan tower from the meeting a few days ago?
     
     
  #14094  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:00 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well, hold onto yer butts...because it is R.A.M.S. (great name for a gay leather bar - I'd probably go there) and even though I haven't seen the final design yet, I was told it's a rather simple design - no frills, few setbacks, but with his signature (slightly off-white, NON beige) pre-cast. If I'm allowed to post renderings in the next few weeks I will, otherwise I'm sure spyguy will be posting something soon enough for us to loathe...or like
Lol, so this is Related's idea of stepping up their game and bringing in a "starchitect"??? Laughable. I actually did chortle when I saw this. Say what you want about developers like Lowemburg, but at least they have never sunk to the level of neoclassical hackery.

I am sure they will grace us with a sampling of their classic low grade facade materials. I can't wait to see how horrifying a Related take on precast turns out.

Thanks for bringing some culture out here to this little cowtown on the prairie guys! Precast pomo is an insult to the history of this city.
     
     
  #14095  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:18 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well, hold onto yer butts...because it is R.A.M.S. (great name for a gay leather bar - I'd probably go there) and even though I haven't seen the final design yet, I was told it's a rather simple design - no frills, few setbacks, but with his signature (slightly off-white, NON beige) pre-cast. If I'm allowed to post renderings in the next few weeks I will, otherwise I'm sure spyguy will be posting something soon enough for us to loathe...or like
Dude. Who cares if its NON beige. Seriously? —.
     
     
  #14096  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:46 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Dude. Who cares if its NON beige. Seriously? —.
It was meant as an inside joke for all of the people in this specific thread who decry the beige standard of River North/Streeterville. Just. Relax. buddy.
     
     
  #14097  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:58 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
It was meant as an inside joke for all of the people in this specific thread who decry the beige standard of River North/Streeterville. Just. Relax. buddy.
I can't help it. I find this latest Related onslaught traumatizing.
     
     
  #14098  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:58 PM
intrepidDesign's Avatar
intrepidDesign intrepidDesign is offline
Windy City Dan
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 509
Stern's residential work is criminal. The highrise he did in Toronto is the only one that's not beyond offensive, and it's forgettable at best. In fact the only building that I've ever seen of his that's acceptable is the office tower he did in Philadelphia. Loathe cannon charging to maximum.
     
     
  #14099  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 3:08 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I can't help it. I find this latest Related onslaught traumatizing.
No I get it, and frankly I personally will wait to pass judgement on the design until I actually see it. But admittedly, there appears to be a marked difference in the quality of projects between Related's work in NYC (or elsewhere perhaps) vs what they're pumping out here, no? I think there is...
     
     
  #14100  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 3:33 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
I don't even know where this heading is there argument over Related makes better buildings in NY then in Chicago, or is there an argument over what would look better a glass building or a stone building??
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.