HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Chicago Projects & Construction Forum  • Chicago Highrise Developments Map


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #14061  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:46 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,443
A few new images of the Giordarno's Hotel Proposal courtesy of Lynn Becker's Blog:











Let the debeigeification commence!

An interest write up on the proposal by Becker can be found here:

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2014/04/tactical-insertion-friedmans-45-story.html

The most interesting part of the article to is:

Quote:
Peter Lemmon of parking consultant TADI told the meeting that in an area like this, about 30% of the hotel guests come by car, and 80% of those via taxi, translating to a maximum of 40 to 50 cars a day for the new Hyatt tower. Standard Parking's Jim Buczek added that overnight hotel parking averaging $50-70 a night would probably be considered a bit steep to guests taking advantage of the Friedman project's more moderate room rates. Although residents in attendance expressed their skepticism, Buczek claimed that Standard Parking's nearby properties could accommodate up to 300 additional cars in nearby garages at such buildings as the Fordham and 900 North Michigan, with an additional 4,000 spaces available in garages serving Northwestern's Streeterville campus.
I.e. this building will have no or virtually no parking at all. I'm amazed at how many buildings downtown are going this route right now. Everything from major apartment buildings with reduced counts to large office buildings with absolutely no spaces and now we have numerous hotels getting in on the action. Soon downtown will be a place that it is nearly impossible to drive into just like Manhattan. That extremely pricey environment will only further drive the neighborhoods to abandon the automobile as well as it becomes an increasing necessity to use transit to get downtown.
     
     
  #14062  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:48 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
IIRC, I think it was GREC Architects. I think

Aha, GREC. So, coincidentally, that was the firm I was blanking on the other day with respect to one (at least) of the previous designs (long dead proposals) for the 750 N Hudson site. GREC has former DeStefano folks, no? And, GREC had designed a couple of the previous versions of the Buck office tower (now Ronan) at Randolph/Franklin. Also, I think they designed the Hotel Palomar/apartment tower in River North.

GREC does some nice work - I'd like to see much more from them around town....
     
     
  #14063  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:50 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
^^ Looks like a very nice addition. Certainly much superior in design than a good majority of the other taller buildings in the immediate vicinity. In addition, meaningfully large shot of activity and energy into the area....
     
     
  #14064  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:54 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Oh glorious de-beigeification!
     
     
  #14065  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:56 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Aha, GREC. So, coincidentally, that was the firm I was blanking on the other day with respect to one (at least) of the previous designs (long dead proposals) for the 750 N Hudson site. GREC has former DeStefano folks, no? And, GREC had designed a couple of the previous versions of the Buck office tower (now Ronan) at Randolph/Franklin. Also, I think they designed the Hotel Palomar/apartment tower in River North.

GREC does some nice work - I'd like to see much more from them around town....
Yes, yes and yes again

I was the project architect for the Hotel Palomar (interior work). They're getting more work again in the City, which is good for them (the Hilton next to the Motor Club building is their's as well. I think).
     
     
  #14066  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:20 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
That new hotel will be a welcome addition to my neighborhood. Fits in nicely, and also not pictured is the new 35 story building going up right now at State and Chestnut which looks like it will be visible from that first image. You may even be able to see the top of the new Loyola building going up next to it from there too. So the view will be even denser looking most likely
     
     
  #14067  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:27 PM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,794
Kind of off topic... but for anyone interested, Google Maps Street View has updated the images for the Chicago area to late 2013. Lot's of interesting not too old views of various projects still under construction.
     
     
  #14068  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:06 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
Regarding 430n michigan remember this article

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/11/alderman-reilly-put-brakes-to-realtors.html?m=1

Its basically about how the developers should kiss riellys — before they can get anything done.
     
     
  #14069  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:20 AM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Regarding 430n michigan remember this article

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2013/11/alderman-reilly-put-brakes-to-realtors.html?m=1

Its basically about how the developers should kiss riellys — before they can get anything done.
We do need checks and balances on developments but this Alderman comes off like a real sleezeball. He's very obviously power hungry and the language he uses seems like he's pandering for an under the table deal.
     
     
  #14070  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:47 AM
wierdaaron's Avatar
wierdaaron wierdaaron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,012
I think the NAR site plans might be really huge, and they didn't tell Reilly because they don't think he could keep his yap shut about it.
     
     
  #14071  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:55 AM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
Whats with the americas plaza, first of yes its a nice little plaza but saying how "important" it is BS. I don't think anyone ever visits chicago to see the plaza also its not like the developers cant find a way around closing the plaza.
     
     
  #14072  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:46 AM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,820
That empty RiverView(?) parcel, just west of Related's recently completed 500 N. LSD rental tower on Peshtigo will be a 50 story residential tower (unsure of whether it will be rental or condo), with exterior skin/facade designed by well-known East-coast architecture firm...details and renderings to come soon. I can't divulge the designer yet, but I will say HE was a dean of a well-respected design school and is known for doing very nice but somewhat stoic pre-cast residential buildings, especially in NYC.
     
     
  #14073  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:01 AM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That empty RiverView(?) parcel, just west of Related's recently completed 500 N. LSD rental tower on Peshtigo will be a 50 story residential tower (unsure of whether it will be rental or condo), with exterior skin/facade designed by well-known East-coast architecture firm...details and renderings to come soon. I can't divulge the designer yet, but I will say HE was a dean of a well-respected design school and is known for doing very nice but somewhat stoic pre-cast residential buildings, especially in NYC.
Hopefully there will be a little more effort in design for this one, also this is a smaller piece of land right.

Last edited by munchymunch; Apr 25, 2014 at 4:22 AM.
     
     
  #14074  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:02 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
That empty RiverView(?) parcel, just west of Related's recently completed 500 N. LSD rental tower on Peshtigo will be a 50 story residential tower (unsure of whether it will be rental or condo), with exterior skin/facade designed by well-known East-coast architecture firm...details and renderings to come soon. I can't divulge the designer yet, but I will say HE was a dean of a well-respected design school and is known for doing very nice but somewhat stoic pre-cast residential buildings, especially in NYC.
"ParkView" actually.

This is good to hear... hopefully the "unnamed architect" will continue his New York tradition of using face brick over the precast. I'm getting really tired of naked or painted concrete facades (courtesy of SCB). Limestone would be even better.

He's also got a blank site with no neighboring buildings, so there is plenty of room for this tower to breathe with windows on all sides, setbacks, terraces, etc.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 25, 2014 at 5:12 AM.
     
     
  #14075  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:03 AM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CHI/MRY
Posts: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
"ParkView" actually.

This is good to hear... hopefully the "unnamed architect" will continue his New York tradition of using face brick over the precast. I'm getting really tired of naked or painted concrete facades (courtesy of SCB).
'ParkView', yes - thanks, I couldn't remember lol!
     
     
  #14076  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:05 AM
chris11 chris11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 73
^Very small piece of land. Gives it potential to have some nice height.
     
     
  #14077  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:04 PM
pilsenarch pilsenarch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 895
haha Sentinel... sounds a lot like Robert Stern, LOL
     
     
  #14078  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:05 PM
guesswho guesswho is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 215
ParkView - Related

The site is only 23,000 sq ft (0.52 acres), so I'm glad that Related is increasing the height to 50 floors from the previous developer (26 floors), but won't Related need to seek approval for the height increase, as it is currently zoned for only a 280 foot tower (I'm sure it would be approved by Reilly though....).

And how cool would it be if this were:

A- condo rather than apartment signalling the return of the condo market (the fact that a high profile East Coast designer is on board makes lends me hope they're spending the money to make this condo as well as the fact that it adjoins a public but privately developed 1.6 acre park thus increasing the cachet).

B- integrating the underground 700+ stall parking garage into the design thus eliminating/minimizing the need for podium style parking

............
A bit off topic, but I spoke with some brokers at Related Realty recently, and it sounds to me like they almost expect to gain control of the Spire site by the end of the year......and I know it's natural to "root for the home team", but just their tone and general knowledge of the legal proceedings lent me to believe that even though there isn't anything further that Curt Bailey can do in order to gain the site, they just might have a fully designed contingency plan ready to go if that is the case (which signals to me that they are a well run organization).

Last edited by guesswho; Apr 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM.
     
     
  #14079  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:06 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
^ Their 'plan' could be referring to sitting back and watching as Kelleher and Atlas deal falls through (as I'm sure many people expect to happen), then they get the site, no?
     
     
  #14080  
Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:09 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
haha Sentinel... sounds a lot like Robert Stern, LOL


Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, God NO!!!!!! God!!!!


This is where I really need Ch.G, Ch.G to come in with one of those clips - I'm thinking maybe from The Office: Michael Scott's reaction to when Toby suddenly reappears in the office after his misadventures in Central America.....

Come to think of it - Robert AM Stern is like the Toby Flenderson (at least in Michael's eyes!) of the design world - just a horrible, haggardly old, boring mega-douchebag, and it shows in his work - in spades........with that stated, if it is indeed him, I wonder if there's a chance for this particular site he could go off-style and maybe even do something 'of our day'??

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Apr 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.