HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #621  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:34 PM
sacrifice333 sacrifice333 is offline
Vancouver User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
When does Tap & Barrel close down?
T&B has an unrivaled waterfront patio. This unfortunately means their food is very easily rivaled.
__________________
Check out TripStyler.com {locally focused travel blog} | My instagram {Travel Photos}
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #622  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:47 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,709
Who says Craft will have better food?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #623  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 7:37 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #624  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 7:53 PM
djh djh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
They don't have to have better food. Craft will squeeze them out because they have a room that isn't split between two floors with most of their seating indoors. More atmosphere, more traffic.
Most of the points you listed as being negatives are things that I would see as positives when I'm dining out.

So I don't think you've proved conclusively that Craft would do anything to Tap & Barrel's business.

However, I do agree, and have said many times, that quality of food is inversely proportional to quality of view...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #625  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 8:09 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #626  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:11 AM
djh djh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
So let me understand that you like to dine at two floor restaurants that have seating indoors with atmosphere and traffic?

T&B has 280 seats outside, 200 inside. Craft will have 400 inside and 50 outside.

We can have a friendly beer wager to see who's correct in six months (of course we'll have to have it at Craft since T&B won't be in business)
Not quite...

The 2 floors mean that I can go upstairs and enjoy the view, while others might prefer to stay downstairs and chat with friends.

"Atmosphere" and "traffic" mean totally different things for different people. E.g., I personally hate & avoid restaurants with TV screens; I might want to peacefully enjoy the view from a 2nd floor sheltered patio and enjoy conversation with a date, not have lots of friends sitting around being rowdy and watching the game. The last time I went to Tap & Barrell, I specifically took my friend there to enjoy the former and avoid the latter (which was happening downstairs).

And I think I already implied that I agree that Tap & Barel's food is terrible. I don't think it will be gone in 6 months because of it though. They'll either realise the food is not selling well and change the menu/chef, or not care because people will continue to come for the view regardless.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #627  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:01 PM
theKB theKB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
And I think I already implied that I agree that Tap & Barel's food is terrible. I don't think it will be gone in 6 months because of it though. They'll either realise the food is not selling well and change the menu/chef, or not care because people will continue to come for the view regardless.
Hey the boathouse is still around and their food is AWFUL.

Tap and Barrel has a second location at the convention centre with an equally large patio over there.

If good food mattered to people living in the GVRD, Earls, Cactus, Moxies, Browns, Donnelly etc all would have shut down by now, but apparently we enjoy paying way to much for subpar food while ignoring the gems around these parts. Lets not forget that all of these places are in fact glorified TGIFridays.

Also the Daniel group must be well embedded with the city/parksboard to get access to all of these prime locations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #628  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:18 PM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #629  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 10:28 PM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant - The New Downtown South
Posts: 8,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Hey the boathouse is still around and their food is AWFUL.

Tap and Barrel has a second location at the convention centre with an equally large patio over there.

If good food mattered to people living in the GVRD, Earls, Cactus, Moxies, Browns, Donnelly etc all would have shut down by now, but apparently we enjoy paying way to much for subpar food while ignoring the gems around these parts. Lets not forget that all of these places are in fact glorified TGIFridays.

Also the Daniel group must be well embedded with the city/parksboard to get access to all of these prime locations.
It must be the East Van in me but I like Earls and Cactus Club food.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #630  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:56 PM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,429
Yea I love the food from those places. The steak at cactus in yaletown was the best I've had anywhere
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #631  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 12:51 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,778
Good consistent food - just a bit pricey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #632  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:52 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
I would rather eat at a good non-western place any day of the week and pay half of the price of a Cactus/Earls/Moxies/Browns, etc for far better food. All you are paying for there is ambiance and slightly better service.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #633  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:47 AM
Conrad Yablonski's Avatar
Conrad Yablonski Conrad Yablonski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 700
Craft has the cheapest shittiest chairs available anywhere a person definitely has to be well on their way to inebriation to spend any amount of time in one.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #634  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:51 AM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #635  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:43 PM
Conrad Yablonski's Avatar
Conrad Yablonski Conrad Yablonski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
That's T&B. All the Craft seats including bar stools have padded seats (from photos).
Thanks for that-I should have known from the awful red patio umbrellas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #636  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 1:55 AM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #637  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:07 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Some sad news as Boneta will be closing on Dec 23rd. There's no doubt it played an integral part to Gastown's latest revival. Will be interesting to see who's acquiring it, personally I hope it's not Global nor another Yaletown group.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #638  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:28 AM
spm2013 spm2013 is offline
More Towers
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,312
....

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #639  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,778
The burger place at Level (Nelson @ Seymour) closed down and a Vietnamese noodle house has opened:

"24 Train Express Noodle House"

So the site went from a trendy Chinese place (that failed miserably), to the burger place to this.

The owners of Commune next door must be cringing - though I expect the noodles to be cheap.

Pic by me today:


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

***********

There's also a sign up on Robson across from Library Square for an Italian restaurant (in the old International News location, I think).
Could be a fast food-ish place, like the rest on the block.

Last edited by officedweller; Dec 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #640  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 11:42 PM
djh djh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The burger place at Level (Nelson @ Seymour) closed down and a Vietnamese noodle house has opened:

"24 Train Express Noodle House"

So the site went from a trendy Chinese place (that failed miserably), to the burger place to this.

The owners of Commune next door must be cringing - though I expect the noodles to be cheap.
Ugh...ugly garish signage can seriously deteriorate the hard work that an architect or designer or landscaper has done to make an area attractive. This just cheapens that corner, in my opinion. Next up: 99 cent pizza stores take over the block
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.