HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8821  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
But I am not proposing something like Tokyo... haha that's silly.

I think expectations of a scale of development like that in downtown St.John's - dense but not crowded, low-mid height buildings is totally acceptable and in tune with the growth we're seeing on the NEAR.

The Pleasantville development is aiming too low, in my opinion. It is an inefficient use of land when compared with downtown. I am not suggesting high-rises even - I'm just suggesting dense town-houses. more efficient street layouts, fewer parking lots to service suburban style, stand-alone, commercial outlets.
Not trying to be nitpicky, I just like keeping the conversation going. I find I learn a lot when we get into these things...

Pleasantville's average planned density is the same as downtown St. John's current density, based on a few sources I have reviewed. I am assuming, then, that the inefficiency you're talking about isn't density so much as land use? Would you like to see Pleasantville more dense than downtown?

If we're saying it is less efficient than downtown than we can't be talking about density, since planned density in Pleasantville mimics the density of our core.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8822  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:58 PM
BigRedSpecial BigRedSpecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Yup, I'm pretty sure that was approved a few months ago. Maybe they're getting ready to tear down what's there now and begin construction?
Hopefully... the old building there is a total eyesore. To make matters worse, I used to work there lol... It'll hold a special place in my heart to see it torn down
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8823  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:01 PM
BigRedSpecial BigRedSpecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
since planned density in Pleasantville mimics the density of our core.
Really? That's pretty cool if that's the case... I had no idea it would be that dense.

I agree with what MrJane is saying, it could definitely go further, but given the prevailing attitudes of most people in the province, I think baby steps are required. I'd rather potential left on the table, than see an overreaching proposal fail due to small mindedness of potential buyers and taint future proposals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8824  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:26 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
[St. John's] APP Hotel | 11 Floors | Proposed

Time for a new thread? A public meeting for the Atlantic Place Parking Garage Hotel (dubbed APP Hotel) will be held July 4. Here's a background on the development!

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/CSJ_FileUpload/Planning/Clift%27s%20Baird%27s%20Cove.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8825  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:44 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Not trying to be nitpicky, I just like keeping the conversation going. I find I learn a lot when we get into these things...

Pleasantville's average planned density is the same as downtown St. John's current density, based on a few sources I have reviewed. I am assuming, then, that the inefficiency you're talking about isn't density so much as land use? Would you like to see Pleasantville more dense than downtown?

If we're saying it is less efficient than downtown than we can't be talking about density, since planned density in Pleasantville mimics the density of our core.
The density figures you're quoting are grossly misleading though. They account for the 10 story towers and the 6-story buildings which will all be residential. Downtown has very few of these types of residential buildings. So Pleasantville has very dense portions in the master plan and then very low-density areas. In fact, most of the land being used would be classified as low-medium density (that of a sub-division in the suburbs).

Let's compare it with downtown. Downtown has no high-rise residential towers (yet). In fact, it has very few (perhaps no) 6-story residential buildings either. Instead, houses are tightly packed so that it's still high-density however.

Apart from densities - downtown is a mixed-use zone with industry, commercial and residential all occurring harmoniously. Pleasantville is, first and foremost, residential with some half-assed stand alone commercial units. Granted, having anything at all is a bonus, but it's incomparable to downtown's activities.

I don't think we can just look at densities and say "gosh, we've done a good job with this one" - Pleasantville has more surface parking lots, more spacing between houses, more ancillary open spaces than downtown. It's just the residential towers which give the area a good density, on the whole. So should we be applauding the master plan for it's high density or the high-rises? Surely, it's only the latter which makes Pleasantville different from any other suburban sub-divison.

But in addition to misleading densities, it's also inefficient land-use. Urban neighbourhoods should be mixed use and dynamic with numerous activities taking place: work, live, play, study, relax, etc. etc. Unfortunately, the primary activity in Pleasantville will be living - it's essentially a dormitory neighbourhood. To me, that's inefficient land use.

And unlike Signal previously suggested, I am not convinced that the master plan leaves much room for in-fill projects in the future. So it's unlikely the density will evolve much beyond what the masterplan outlines.

Finally, another comment regarding the Building Principles and Elements section of the Guidelines - it's true that they are articulating details of the development - but to me, instead of supporting variety and dynamism, this actually pushes the development toward a more homogeneous and generic neighbourhood in terms of controlling the design of projected bays, trim, window placement, eaves and soffits, verandas, etc. etc. By controlling all these variables, the houses will just look more and more alike. I don't know if this is the way to go but instinctively I think it's too controlling. I, personally, think there should be attempts at promoting legitimate variety. Here, I think it's kind of a construed variety which is less appealing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8826  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:24 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Copes



This was a map I posted a while back showing in blue the low-density areas of Pleasantville. Realistically, the area in blue has a near identical density to that of Kenmount Terrace. Also note that the non-blue areas of the masterplan are mostly surface parking lots.

--

And YES. We should start a new thread for the APP Hotel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8827  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:31 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
You aren't wrong, I just like prodding you for your thoughts.

In regards to your map though, keep in mind that most of those houses are duplexes, and my guess is they will be slightly closer together than Kenmount Terrace. A minor point, but I think it is unfair to compare those areas to Kenmount Terrace quality.

You also included commercial space with condos above it in your blue area. I am envisioning a mini Churchill Square with condos above.

And if I'm salvaging everything I can here there is a walking trail in your blue space as well!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8828  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:54 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
haha touché

And despite there being duplexes, the CLC requested an increase away from Municipal standards for the frontages and spacing on each side of the duplex... haha... from 18m (standard) to 20m for the frontages and from 1.2m (standard) to 1.5m for the spacing on each side of the duplex!

haha walking paths are always appreciated! Then again, Kenmount Terrace and Mount Pearl have lots of those too!

And a big square would be great - hopefully it's less car-dependant than Churchill Square (but I don't see how that would be possible)!

Last edited by mrjanejacobs; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8829  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 5:38 PM
ed0797's Avatar
ed0797 ed0797 is offline
Urban Design Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Time for a new thread? A public meeting for the Atlantic Place Parking Garage Hotel (dubbed APP Hotel) will be held July 4. Here's a background on the development!

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/files/CSJ_FileUpload/Planning/Clift%27s%20Baird%27s%20Cove.pdf
Hands down new favorite project! Its just so modern and unique than any other building in St. John's!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8830  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 1:34 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
I can't find anything in the agenda regarding the Lighthouse proposal (Duckworth at Ordnance/Hill o'Chips), but June 10 is the date council is supposed to be voting. I'm also VERY curious to see the final total of letters for/against.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8831  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 2:35 PM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Maybe it was delayed a week? We probably would have heard something if they had voted. I'm pretty sure everyone on council thought it was a good idea. And when is the final vote on Tiffany going to happen? Everyone likes the proposal so just vote yes already haha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8832  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 10:39 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
June 15, 2013

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8833  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 2:49 AM
jeddy1989's Avatar
jeddy1989 jeddy1989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 2,711
New Developments for St. John's Port

Quote:
The president and CEO of the St. John's Port Authority says 2013 is shaping up to be another great year. Sean Hanrahan says the developments include the completion of two new restaurants and the reconstruction of Pier 20 on the southside of the harbour.


He says that will be good for the fishing industry.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35327&latest=1
__________________
-Where Once They Stood-
-We Stand-
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8834  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:09 AM
J.A.I.L.'s Avatar
J.A.I.L. J.A.I.L. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
6-Storey Apt. Bldg. for St. John's

St. John's City Council will entertain a proposal for a large apartment building on Topsail Road tonight. Killam Properties wants to put up a 120-unit building in the Holbrook Avenue area. It would be six storeys high. The development is in ward three.



http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35351&latest=1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8835  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 1:39 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
June 18, 2013

Steele Hotel (with 351 in the background):



Fortis Place from George Street West:



Fortis Place from Springdale Street:



Fortis Place and 351 from the Upper Battery:

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8836  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 2:51 PM
Horsell's Avatar
Horsell Horsell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 645
Signal...I like that picture of Fortis Place from George St West, it gives a nice perspective that old and new can coexist quite nicely. Reminds of a spot in Montreal where a 30 or 40 story lovely glass building sits next to a church, almost in the church yard, and in some ways it mirrors the architecture of the church.

On another note...a reward is offered if someone can come up with a render of what the Steele Hotel is going to look like...lol. And, I'm not accepting what it was originally proposed to look like, although I hope that is indeed what we will eventually see.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8837  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 2:54 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
Yeah, that was jeddy1989. We were walking to go see the new black glass in the long, vertical stripes that will be surrounded by wood and he said, "Oh, just look at it from this angle!" so I took the snap.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8838  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:05 AM
Arrakis Arrakis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,353
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1011307_10151481174711616_1618905863_n.jpg

The skating trail tender has been awarded for the Bannerman Park renovation.
Check the link from the Telegram story.

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/20...rail-tender-awarded-for-St.-Johns-park/1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8839  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 6:23 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,332
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8840  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 9:24 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
That's a nice clear photo,
I see they have finished topping one core on top of Fortis, the two cores will be the tallest parts of the building. I see lots of areas in the city where there could be more development in that photo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.