HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8801  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:33 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
While clapboard might look nicer many people do not want the upkeep of it either, or can't afford the upkeep.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8802  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:22 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 7,642
Yeah myself and my girlfriend are on different ends of that argument. She likes vinyl siding due to its low maintenance, but I really want a home with cedar shingles. We'll eventually figure it out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8803  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 9:54 PM
Trevor3 Trevor3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
While clapboard might look nicer many people do not want the upkeep of it either, or can't afford the upkeep.
If I were to own a rowhouse in St. John's, and that could happen someday, who knows really, it would have to be clapboard. They're supposed to have clapboard and anything else just looks like a cheap renovation, even if it is high-end siding.

Overall, subdivisions have been moving toward a more coloured palette over the last several years. If you look at a lot of construction from the 1980's and 90's, you'll see a lot of white vinyl and neutral tones. Over the last 10 years homes are being constructed with deeper colours, not necessarily brighter, though those homes on the streets that jeddy posted do have some. Deep colours with white corners to make the colour pop have become much more common. That could be an effort to adopt some traits of the colourful tradtional homes, coupled with the limited range of colour choices given the desire to have efficient materials such as vinyl.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8804  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 11:18 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
June 11, 2013

New residences at MUN:



Fortis, 351, Legros & Motti:

__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8805  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 9:42 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
A little more information about that yacht from the last picture above:

Quote:
A sporty-looking super yacht is turning heads on the St. John’s waterfront.

The Lady M is a trideck yacht, measuring 65 metres long and built entirely of aluminium. It can accommodate 12 guests in a full-beam master suite on the main deck.

Special features include a pool on the foredeck, which can be drained and used to hold the tender. The pool floor can also be raised to allow a helicopter to land on the foredeck.

The Lady M has a top speed of 28 knots. NTV News checked for prices online and found a similar vessel with a pricetag of $59 million.
http://ntv.ca/sporty-luxury-yacht-turns-heads-on-st-johns-waterfront/
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8806  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
great pictures! The west end of DT is shaping up nicely

That yacht looks AWESOME too! But I don't think i'll be able to go down to see it today.. Oh well, A picture is just as good
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8807  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
BTW - Josh and I met someone who is working on the Bowring Building. They have scaffolding up in the back, as you know.

They're definitely painting the window trim black but this worker doesn't know what colour the rest of the concrete walls will be. He did mention sandy material - like on the front - but that was about something else, if I remember correctly.

So we'll see. But they're definitely fixing up the exterior of it in the back.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8808  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:37 PM
PoscStudent's Avatar
PoscStudent PoscStudent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. John's
Posts: 3,817
Maybe they're doing a colour scheme similar to the Model Shop?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8809  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:42 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I'm curious what more could have been done, I'd be interested in your feedback. I'm not sure if you are referencing these guidelines and think that they aren't enough? Or maybe you were unaware of the Pleasantville guidelines.

http://www.clc.ca/sites/default/files/29...delines_2012-01-11_reduced_file_size.pdf

I thought the architectural guidelines for Pleasantville made it quite clear what sort of looks and feel the neighbourhood is going for. It explains what is and isn't allowed when it comes to roofs, windows, colors, etc. The landscaping guidelines I thought were quite detailed as well, going so far as to indicating that trees need to block views of asphalt parking lots, providing examples of types of trees, pathways and sidewalks, etc.

The guidelines for Pleasantville were unlike anything I've seen in a development like it before, so I was quite impressed. Perhaps not perfect, but personally, I really thought it was the right idea and an excellent precedent. It was rigid enough to make it clear the neighbourhood had a desired look and feel while still allowing developers the liberty to build the sorts of projects they are comfortable with and have built before.

Care to elaborate on what is lacking from the PDF I linked? As I said, I thought it was an excellent precedent.
Sorry for the delay - I had a deadline.

Admittedly, I have actually seen this document before, but I never realized it was entitled Architectural Guideline. I thought it was just the Master Plan - I think they may be a little overly generous by calling it "Architectural Guidelines". Needless to say, I didn't realize the depth.

Nevertheless, perhaps I'm just uninspired by the guidelines, as they are not very ground-shaking. A master plan (and guidelines) like this are actually often required by City Halls in many cities across the country before developers can put a shovel in the ground. It's a very routine document (depending on the City). However, I can see it being impressive in the context of St.John's, disappointingly.

As I've said before, I think this is what needs to be done in more suburban communities like Paradise, Mount Pearl, CBS, Kenmount Terrace, The East End, etc. I think developers need to show how their development will integrate into the community, how they will design their houses and effortfully vary them, to show how it will enhance and support connectivity in the community on foot, bike and in car and to prove how it could be expanded in the future. Those are things that should be expected from new developments. The cost of developing such a Master Plan is a modest investment compared with the cost of actually executing a new sub-division. I think it's a cost of doing business which is fair and necessary to have a sustainable planning structure in the City/region.

I think that the real-estate and potential for Pleasantville is being wasted on this development. I see it as a glorified sub-division.

And despite having guidelines, some of them are actually the opposite of what urbanists would like to see - increased spacing between R2 housing to 1.5m from 1.2m (the City standard), increased frontages of single-detached to 15m from 12m (the City standard), etc.

So I would rather not let the impressiveness of the novelty of having a master plan obscure some of the not-so-helpful design approaches that have been taken.

Re. tress/landscaping standards - they are also routine for some developments. Suggestions of tree-types, tree positioning, etc. etc. should be an expectation from a developer. It just happens we have very minute standards for new residential developments in the region/City.

I simply don't like the concept of zoning. And I find this masterplan irrefutably reinforces the spatial segregation of the development into "this goes here and this goes here".

Quote:
"The Pleasantville Redevelopment Plan illustrates a clear intent in terms of siting the mixed use commercial buildings. In all cases a buffer has been outlined by way of either a parking lot, street, or landscape zone that provides adequate space between these larger and variably used structures and adjacent detached, semi- detached and townhouse residences (Figure 1). This intent must be respected."
I just don't believe that that kind of reasoning is beneficial and it doesn't promote a vibrant, dynamic urban neighbourhood. Mixed-use development can never be understated. A convenience store or shop of some kind or restaurant doesn't need to be mitigated by way of "a parking lot, street or landscape zone"

We could argue about this development all day, haha. I think we both agree that it's setting a precedent, even if a small one, on what should be expected with developments in St.John's, and that's always a good thing. Of course, it's doing some pretty great things for walkability and circulation and density that all sub-divisions should also be doing (namely in the suburbs), but I think we're selling ourselves short if we think that this development is the best we can do in such a great location in proximity to downtown St.John's!

I couldn't agree more that it's a good precedent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8810  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:43 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
Damnit. Another long comment. Copes inspires me to write long posts. haha Apologies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8811  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:45 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
It's O.K. We like the back-and-forth.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8812  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:50 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
I think that the real-estate and potential for Pleasantville is being wasted on this development. I see it as a glorified sub-division.
Well, you could say that about the entirety of St. John's, depending on your standards.

I think Pleasantville is great for the city. It's urban, varied and dense enough to put developments like Southlands to shame. So I'm pleased we didn't just duplicate Southlands or the East End there. Pleasantville is starting out a step ahead of those neighbourhoods.

And it'll only grow denser over time. We haven't realized it yet but we have an extremely limited amount of space on the northeast Avalon. We've sprawled for 200,000 - but we'd be a tiny city, geographically, for 500,000. As our population grows and we fill in, I've no doubt things will improve.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8813  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:52 PM
Copes's Avatar
Copes Copes is offline
Millennial Ascendancy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
Damnit. Another long comment. Copes inspires me to write long posts. haha Apologies.


I agree with you though, and you're right. More could be done. I think you're looking for more emphasis from a developer (or in this case, the city / Canada Lands since they are the true owner of the land and developers are just buying parcels).

As I will argue though, developers will do what they are required to. I really think it falls to councils to push for these things. Create the policy, make it clear what is expected, and help developers. The vision of a section of the city, or an entire city (Paradise) should not be in the hands of Developers. Developers work within the framework they are presented. By changing the framework, you change the developments. Unfortunately right now, there is no financial incentive to install bike-paths and things like that in a subdivision. Is it nice? Sure. But it doesn't raise the value of the lot being sold, or the home being sold.

I'd love to see the city implement the changes you suggest. All they have to do is demand such things (ideally through a clear policy) for when developers submit their proposals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8814  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:12 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
I couldn't agree more. I put no fault on the developers - it's the fact that CLC is crown and has some moral expectations to live up to that they put in the extra ounce of effort.

Nevertheless, it's absolutely the Municipality's prerogative to realize meaningful policy changes to realize more sustainable communities.

Pleasantville is a great start, however I wish the demo was being done somewhere that wasn't so close to downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Well, you could say that about the entirety of St. John's, depending on your standards.

I think Pleasantville is great for the city. It's urban, varied and dense enough to put developments like Southlands to shame. So I'm pleased we didn't just duplicate Southlands or the East End there. Pleasantville is starting out a step ahead of those neighbourhoods.

And it'll only grow denser over time. We haven't realized it yet but we have an extremely limited amount of space on the northeast Avalon. We've sprawled for 200,000 - but we'd be a tiny city, geographically, for 500,000. As our population grows and we fill in, I've no doubt things will improve.
Well no, you couldn't say that about the entirety of St.John's. I don't even know that means, haha.

Pleasantville is like a 10 minute walk from downtown and it's a huge piece of land to be developed. That doesn't really exist anywhere else with similar proximity to the CBD.

It's starting out a step-ahead of course, but seeing where it's located, you'd like it to be a mile ahead... considering downtown St.John's is a mile-ahead. I won't take a complacent approach to this development just because it's better than Southlands... haha... "well, ya'know it's better than Southlands, so that means it's great".

And I don't see how we're short on space. Even within the City, we have so much undeveloped land, even downtown. We have southlands, the waterford valley, central, the east toward Torbay - there is lots of land. Of course we're sprawled with the population we have - absolutely true. But we could still fit millions of people on the NEAR if needed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8815  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:14 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
Well no, you couldn't say that about the entirety of St.John's. I don't even know that means, haha.

Pleasantville is like a 10 minute walk from downtown and it's a huge piece of land to be developed. That doesn't really exist anywhere else with similar proximity to the CBD.

It's starting out a step-ahead of course, but seeing where it's located, you'd like to think it's a mile ahead... considering downtown St.John's is a mile-ahead.

And I don't see how we're short on space. Even within the City, we have so much undeveloped land, even downtown. We have southlands, the waterford valley, central, the east toward Torbay - there is lots of land. Of course we're sprawled with the population we have - absolutely true. But we could still fit millions of people on the NEAR if needed.
I just mean downtown St. John's would seem less than suburban to someone from, say, Tokyo - or even the largest North American cities.

If Pleasantville was proposed there, then it would an inefficient use of the land, wasted potential.

But, for us, I think it's the right development for this period in our growth.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8816  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:19 PM
mrjanejacobs's Avatar
mrjanejacobs mrjanejacobs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 460
But I am not proposing something like Tokyo... haha that's silly.

I think expectations of a scale of development like that in downtown St.John's - dense but not crowded, low-mid height buildings is totally acceptable and in tune with the growth we're seeing on the NEAR.

The Pleasantville development is aiming too low, in my opinion. It is an inefficient use of land when compared with downtown. I am not suggesting high-rises even - I'm just suggesting dense town-houses. more efficient street layouts, fewer parking lots to service suburban style, stand-alone, commercial outlets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8817  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:22 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,337
Well, in that case, hear hear!
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8818  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 9:18 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post

I think that the real-estate and potential for Pleasantville is being wasted on this development. I see it as a glorified sub-division. . . .


Quote:
"The Pleasantville Redevelopment Plan illustrates a clear intent in terms of siting the mixed use commercial buildings. In all cases a buffer has been outlined by way of either a parking lot, street, or landscape zone that provides adequate space between these larger and variably used structures and adjacent detached, semi- detached and townhouse residences (Figure 1). This intent must be respected."
I just don't believe that that kind of reasoning is beneficial and it doesn't promote a vibrant, dynamic urban neighbourhood. Mixed-use development can never be understated. A convenience store or shop of some kind or restaurant doesn't need to be mitigated by way of "a parking lot, street or landscape zone"
I agree; this is totally suburban and mid 20th century thinking which would be progressive for Mt. Pearl, Paradise, or Clarenville. It's good that there are to be at least some mixed use buildings in the plan, if not, I would be disappointed since they already exist in St. John's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8819  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:04 AM
BigRedSpecial BigRedSpecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 142
I noticed the lot next to the TGH overpass on Kenmount has been cleared out, and all business signs have been taken down from the two buildings there... Looks like the hotel was approved?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8820  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 2:46 AM
Townie709's Avatar
Townie709 Townie709 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedSpecial View Post
I noticed the lot next to the TGH overpass on Kenmount has been cleared out, and all business signs have been taken down from the two buildings there... Looks like the hotel was approved?
Yup, I'm pretty sure that was approved a few months ago. Maybe they're getting ready to tear down what's there now and begin construction?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:43 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.