HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4101  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 2:32 AM
SLC_Rising's Avatar
SLC_Rising SLC_Rising is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSaltlake View Post
Can't wait for them to start on this.

I cant wait for tower 8 as well...Is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of a Alienware computer desktop tower?
     
     
  #4102  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:55 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,747
I like all of the shipping container designs you posted Stenar.

Some, such as the first pic in blue, is I think what UtPlanner was referring to, when he mentioned liking those that are finished in an exterior material. Finishing material, meaning a just nice coat of rust proofing enamel, if necessary of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I love homes, offices, shops, basically anything made out of shipping containers.

But I especially hate when they cover up the shipping container with another exterior material. What's the point of using shipping containers if you're just going to cover them up.

Maybe they couldn't get any landowners to lend/rent/lease them property for 5 months or they're making a statement about how that street is too darn wide.

I totally dig it.

Some of my favorite shipping container creations:


Source: Dwell


Source: jetsongreen.com


Source: Starbucks


Source: openbuildings.com


Source: Container City

Last edited by delts145; Jun 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM.
     
     
  #4103  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:16 AM
ctobsl's Avatar
ctobsl ctobsl is offline
Let It Rise!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT.
Posts: 486
Well yeah, if they all looked like that I would live in one, but not if they looked like they just arrived from a shipping port.
__________________
Photos of Downtown SLC & surrounding areas-http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199269&highlight=ctobsl

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com
     
     
  #4104  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:28 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Those do look better when painted unlike the ones we got that are not from what I've seen.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4105  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 7:13 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I think it's a fantastic and unique idea...really excited to see the final product and can't wait to go check it out later this month.
I agree. It's an outside-the-box thinking in a neighborhood that could really utilize a system of growth in SLC.
     
     
  #4106  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:28 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Stenar, thanks for providing some good examples of development utilizing shipping containers. Starbucks is currently building a new store out of shipping containers at 3300 S. and West Temple. I agree that it can be done well, I just don't think that Granary Row will turn out that way. It's certainly only my opinion and I'm willing to check it out again once it's done. I've been known to change my mind and I will admit it. I really do not think that the city should be subsidizing this project with a free lease and an additional $150,000 from the RDA.

Just a thought, people also thought that mobile homes were a great "temporary" solution to a housing shortage post-World War II and yet they linger on...
     
     
  #4107  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 6:08 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just a thought, people also thought that mobile homes were a great "temporary" solution to a housing shortage post-World War II and yet they linger on...
Ha. Like this you mean. http://lolafk.com/?id=767
     
     
  #4108  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 6:12 PM
livedowntown's Avatar
livedowntown livedowntown is offline
Downtown with a Family
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 199
I like the idea of using the middle of the street for retail. If you go to the LDS Church Museum they have a scale model of SLC from late 1800's and they have a butchery in the center of the street. So even then they were sometimes utilizing the center of the street. On slow streets this could be really cool.
     
     
  #4109  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 8:14 PM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSaltlake View Post

I agree. 4TOWERS would be AWESOME
I could picture that on the NE corner of 200 West and South Temple with the long glass high rise running along south temple.. Then the plaza hotel could be demolished and replaced with a 28 story mixed use apartment / condo high rise with a nice Restaurant and bar in the base.. Then 1 or 2 more restaurants could go in along north temple..

Then when the church need to build student housing the Howard Johnson express and subway could be demolished and all of the land south of west high could be used instead of the plaza block (better fit anyway)
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #4110  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:06 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
I'm glad to hear Starbucks is building a shipping container store here in Utah. Hopefully, it will inspire other people to build using containers also.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Stenar, thanks for providing some good examples of development utilizing shipping containers. Starbucks is currently building a new store out of shipping containers at 3300 S. and West Temple. I agree that it can be done well, I just don't think that Granary Row will turn out that way. It's certainly only my opinion and I'm willing to check it out again once it's done. I've been known to change my mind and I will admit it. I really do not think that the city should be subsidizing this project with a free lease and an additional $150,000 from the RDA.

Just a thought, people also thought that mobile homes were a great "temporary" solution to a housing shortage post-World War II and yet they linger on...
     
     
  #4111  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:46 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I could picture that on the NE corner of 200 West and South Temple with the long glass high rise running along south temple.. Then the plaza hotel could be demolished and replaced with a 28 story mixed use apartment / condo high rise with a nice Restaurant and bar in the base.. Then 1 or 2 more restaurants could go in along north temple..

Then when the church need to build student housing the Howard Johnson express and subway could be demolished and all of the land south of west high could be used instead of the plaza block (better fit anyway)
A couple of problems that I see with your proposal.

If the goal of the county in conjunction with the CC Hotel is to have more, contiguous expo space this location will not work, as there is only a small portion of the Salt Palace that actually fronts the street right there and that is lobby space and meeting space, not expo space. If a direct connection is required as part of the funding, that too will be complicated; it will either require another skybridge, this time spanning S. Temple and blocking the cool view of the UP Depot from any point east of 200 W, and a tunnel under trax, while it's possible, that is simply going to increase the budget well beyond what is local government will be willing to spend. This is an assumption, considering there is big hurdles to figure out funding right now, let alone with a major increase.

Once again you're assuming that the LDS church wants to sell and is willing to sell that land.

Lastly, while the LDS church does own the parking lots to the west of the HoJo they don't own the HoJo or Subway property.
     
     
  #4112  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:46 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Just scanning through some building permits that are coming through the office here is some brief info:

1. The new apartments on 600 West North Temple have submitted their building plans. It includes 115 units.

2. A new store is coming to City Creek called Free People. I don't know much about retail and have never heard of the store.

3. Bennion Jewlers is moving to a new space on South Temple. I believe it is in the bottom of the Key Bank Building. There current home is slated for demolition with the UPAC project.

4. Epic Brewing is opening a resturant and bar in Sugar House in the newly restored building on Highland and 2100 South.

Just thought people may be interested.
     
     
  #4113  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just scanning through some building permits that are coming through the office here is some brief info:

3. Bennion Jewlers is moving to a new space on South Temple. I believe it is in the bottom of the Key Bank Building. There current home is slated for demolition with the UPAC project.


Just thought people may be interested.
Just wanting to clarify because the Key Bank Building is on State above the food court. Did you perhaps mean Beneficial Life Tower (which has a Key Bank on the first floor) or World Trade Tower?
     
     
  #4114  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 11:15 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just scanning through some building permits that are coming through the office here is some brief info:

1. The new apartments on 600 West North Temple have submitted their building plans. It includes 115 units.
Are these the apartments with that controversial Mary image?
     
     
  #4115  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 11:27 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just scanning through some building permits that are coming through the office here is some brief info:

3. Bennion Jewlers is moving to a new space on South Temple. I believe it is in the bottom of the Key Bank Building. There current home is slated for demolition with the UPAC project.

.
That's a good sign that the PAC project is moving forward. Any idea when Bennion Jewlers need to be out and is there anybody else left in that building/s that are slated for demolition.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #4116  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:37 AM
ajiuO's Avatar
ajiuO ajiuO is offline
A.K.A. Vigo
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
A couple of problems that I see with your proposal.

If the goal of the county in conjunction with the CC Hotel is to have more, contiguous expo space this location will not work, as there is only a small portion of the Salt Palace that actually fronts the street right there and that is lobby space and meeting space, not expo space. If a direct connection is required as part of the funding, that too will be complicated; it will either require another skybridge, this time spanning S. Temple and blocking the cool view of the UP Depot from any point east of 200 W, and a tunnel under trax, while it's possible, that is simply going to increase the budget well beyond what is local government will be willing to spend. This is an assumption, considering there is big hurdles to figure out funding right now, let alone with a major increase.

Once again you're assuming that the LDS church wants to sell and is willing to sell that land.

Lastly, while the LDS church does own the parking lots to the west of the HoJo they don't own the HoJo or Subway property.
No! What I'm assuming is that the developer (which will be paying for most of this) Will want to do what is best for business by offering its customers the best possible experience. I also think that they would consider a location that is better located to attract additional business outside Of salt palace conventions. This location has a lot of potential because of its proximity to temple square...

And No! I don't assume that the church is proactively looking to sale the property... But what I know for a fact, is that the church is reasonable and will do what is best for the community and for their own interests... If the right type of plan is proposed. A nice hotel in that location would be fantastic for the church and there is no critical reason why student housing needs to be put in that location. I think the north of the triad would be a much better location for student housing any way.

As for the tunnel. It is an added expense.. But not huge in scope of the whole project. If a developer sees a potential for more business they will not be completely a-posed to spending a bit more.

No the church does not own the HJ / Subway property... But the city can make that deal happen just as easy as they could make some of the other purposes locations such as the shilo inn happen as part of a land deal with the church... That corner could use some redevelopment anyway... As long as its not stucco :-)
__________________
On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a
throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!
     
     
  #4117  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:06 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Are we gonna have this argument every two pages? Let Ajiuo and whoever else believe the hotel will be built at the Plaza, or on temple square, or hover magically above the Salt Palace.
The bottom line is that we haven't heard a whisper of a rumor about the Convention Center and a possible location for months, and until they say where they're gonna build it, there's not point in fighting over where would be best over and over again. If you want to fantasize, play Sim City.

As to the Bennion Jewelers relocation, does that mean the Tower will be built concurrently with the PAC? Anyone know?
     
     
  #4118  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 4:48 AM
slc801's Avatar
slc801 slc801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Are we gonna have this argument every two pages? Let Ajiuo and whoever else believe the hotel will be built at the Plaza, or on temple square, or hover magically above the Salt Palace.
The bottom line is that we haven't heard a whisper of a rumor about the Convention Center and a possible location for months, and until they say where they're gonna build it, there's not point in fighting over where would be best over and over again. If you want to fantasize, play Sim City.
I second that!
     
     
  #4119  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 7:18 AM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Are we gonna have this argument every two pages?
I respectfully disagree.

I do not find these discussions as arguments, but rather insightful, even lively discussions in the SLC Development News thread.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, and if I am I apologize to the masses, however I appreciate the dialogue every member brings to this internet forum.
     
     
  #4120  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:34 PM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
found this.... looks to be an old concept idea for the city creek center site...
Salt Lake City Master Plan

http://elizabethday.com/gallery/album01?page=2
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:51 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.